BajaNomad

San Borja

vacaenbaja - 10-2-2012 at 02:12 PM

I have always wanted to go to San Borja, howver in all of
the time that I have visited BOLA I have never had the opportunity due to time and fishing constraints of the group
that I travel with. This November however I will be making
a more leisurely trip down the penisula with a newbie that does not mind side trips and is not so concerned with fishing as are my usual companions. I have a question is it practical
to make the San Borja trip from BOLA using Quads?
Is trhe road too rough or the trip too far for a quad?

Neal Johns - 10-2-2012 at 04:50 PM

Quads will be fine, road south from BOLA highway not rough for quads. Scenic drive. Chat with friendly people in house next to Mission.

MMc - 10-2-2012 at 05:07 PM

Lot's of fun on Quads. Make sure you have enough gas to make the trip.

vacaenbaja - 10-2-2012 at 05:50 PM

Thanks. iwas told that it may bee too rough to do with a suburban

MMc - 10-2-2012 at 05:54 PM

Hard to tell with all the rain this year. I'd ask in town and make sure they have been on the road in the last few days. Nomads are famous for talking about a road they haven't been on for a few years.:lol::lol::lol:

Marc - 10-2-2012 at 06:43 PM

A Suberben Should handle the road fine.We drove from the BOLA road. Rains may have made it a rougher goo but just go slow and you will be OK.

The road from the north

David K - 10-3-2012 at 07:52 AM

When we were last there , July, 2009... and used both roads to the mission... the north road (from the L.A. Bay highway) was the better route. A photo of it is below... Just one rocky section, the rest was 'fast' (I was in a Tacoma, however)! 22 miles to the mission either way.

Founded in 1762... abandoned in 1818... stone church completed in 1801 by the Dominicans.

honda tom - 10-3-2012 at 08:36 AM

Just did both roads ... in from north, out to the west, in July. Ford f250 crewcab.
a little over an hour to get there, about 40 minutes on bikes, your quads will do fine.
pay the family 10-20 bucs for the tour, the son is the one doing the restoration work.

Ask the story about the theft and recovery of the bell.

DavidE - 10-3-2012 at 11:49 AM

A question: Would not a sack of cement as well as a donation be appreciated? Yeah, it would be a pain-in-the-rear to carry but I'm wondering if it would be worth it to the guy doing the restoration? Same for professional masonry hand tools..