BajaNomad

PART I - a trip to a Vizcaino farm

BajaBlanca - 10-12-2012 at 05:15 PM

a couple weeks ago, we had a wonderful opportunity to visit a huge farm in Vizcaino. These are some of the pics:

1. the tents - cost about 1 million dollars each

right now they are harvesting tomatoes - the guys go around on stilts to pick the tomatoes since they grow really high. They are grown hydroponically - each plant is in it's individual pot. They are perfectly shaped and almost completely bug-free due to these huge colored tapes that the bugs fly into and remain stuck!

some of the tomatoes are grown outside:

All 1200 workers live on site. They have access to doctors and free daycare, as well as their kids go to elementary and middle school on site.

imagine these high chairs FUll of kids !

Workers can have breakfast and lunch for 200 pesos a week:

the day care center has won awards. The owner of this farm is American. I was VERY PROUD.

miniature !

and of course, the corporate jet !

PART 2 will show some of the really unique furniture we saw.

Ateo - 10-12-2012 at 05:20 PM

Very cool. Thanks.

TMW - 10-13-2012 at 06:55 AM

Thanks and thanks for the furniture pixs in the other post.

shari - 10-13-2012 at 07:04 AM

that was really interesting Blanca...this operation is VERY well run...unlike some of the others in the area...lucky workers who get a job at that place.

BajaBlanca - 10-14-2012 at 08:00 AM

I agree Shari - the funny thing is that they mostly come from Oaxaca and Chiapas and an odd fact: they do not like washing machines and they did not want windows so the sand would not come in the houses - making the houses quite dark.

Suzie is going to make a huge central park with a huge tree in the middle a la san ignacio. That should be a sight to see once finished.

Udo - 10-16-2012 at 05:20 PM

Very nice exposé of the local farm community...I had no idea, Blanca!

BajaBlanca - 10-17-2012 at 07:49 AM

I do remember the strawberry story.

put the river rocks on spin cycle!

EdZeranski - 10-18-2012 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I agree Shari - the funny thing is that they mostly come from Oaxaca and Chiapas and an odd fact: they do not like washing machines and they did not want windows so the sand would not come in the houses - making the houses quite dark.

Little cultural things get missed sometimes by a builder that are a major concern for the intended, had a similar situation on a housing project in Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Govt. built houses, two story town home style, to give the Bedoin a stable living situation. They were excellent homes with all the modern stuff but the Bedoin refused to live there because:

1. They would not live in a place where someone's feet were above their heads.

2. Indoors the view of the horizon was obstructed.

So they pitched their tents and came in for the water.

I remember strawberry incident. That does look like a well run farm.

EdZ KG6UTS
San Diego/Borrego Springs

BajaBlanca - 10-18-2012 at 07:00 PM

Ed - what a BIG mistake someone made in your S Arabia story.

bajajeffrey - 10-19-2012 at 07:09 PM

Thank you Blanca nice job!

BajaBlanca - 10-20-2012 at 01:29 PM

you are most welcome.

irenemm - 10-23-2012 at 11:52 PM

The Strawberry story was Susy Father Fred Williamson. He was a great person., I have know Susy and her family for 25 years. Her dad was one of the nicest men ever. Susy and Her Brother Fred Jr. do a great job. They have farms here in Vicente Guerrero too.
If you see Susy tell her Hello from Irene @ Posada Don Diego