BajaNomad

Nay-Nay's Baja Jeep Buildup (w/new Falken Wild Peak ATs and Bilstein 5100 shocks)

Ken Cooke - 10-12-2012 at 10:14 PM

Today, I upgraded my friend Renay's Jeep suspension with a set of monotube Bilstein 5100 shocks. Renay likes to take her Jeep to Baja California and the deserts throughout Southern California.

After installing her shocks, with the new 33" Falken Wild Peak AT tires, I took off for an area with plenty of speed bumps, and took them at speed. The shocks soaked up the jolts and were ready for more (don't worry, this Jeep actually goes off-road).

Here are some pics...
The Old Man Emu shocks were toast.

With a brand-new set of Falken WildPeak tires

Baja Jeeps need tender loving care sometimes...

Is it mid October or Mid January?? Thats what these clouds would lead you to think.

Making it all come together...

dtbushpilot - 10-13-2012 at 06:48 AM

How about a picture of Renay.....

desertcpl - 10-13-2012 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
How about a picture of Renay.....

:P:P:P

Shining like new money!

Ken Cooke - 10-13-2012 at 09:57 PM

surfdoc - 10-14-2012 at 11:01 AM

Been useing the Faulken Wildpeaks here for a year...
b-tchin tires!!! And alot less $$ then the goodyears!

Now if I could find a Differential for my Silverado, I'd be back in business..:D

Ken Cooke - 10-14-2012 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
Been useing the Faulken Wildpeaks here for a year...
b-tchin tires!!! And alot less $$ then the goodyears!

The voids on these tires came close to size to the inner sections of this Goodyear MTR/Kevlar tire. They rode silently and smoothly. Renay needed a sturdy tire that she could take off road and that would also respond well to the daily commute to Carlsbad from San Diego City each day. She wants to take the Jeep to Baja real soon, so we'll see how it does on the trail.

David K - 10-14-2012 at 05:31 PM

I have enjoyed both performance and price of the Hankook DynaPro ATm tires I have used for the past 25,000 miles. However, these Falkens have been getting good reviews so might try them out when it's time for new shoes on the Tacoma.

surfdoc - 10-15-2012 at 12:02 PM

Sorry meant Goodrich not Goodyear....the only thing I've noticed is the Faulkens tend to slide to the left in the rear on washboard roads with tire pressure over 30#;s.

My rear Diff gasket blew out coming back from Vizcaino last week. Had hairline cracks around the bolts from pulling Sargaso pangas and other heavy rigs off the playas during storms...my bad.....

Anyway guess the cracks heated up...blew the oil and we had to clean a cup of metal scrap from the pan. I can drive around town, but thats it.

Ken Cooke - 10-15-2012 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
Sorry meant Goodrich not Goodyear....the only thing I've noticed is the Faulkens tend to slide to the left in the rear on washboard roads with tire pressure over 30#;s.

Anyway guess the cracks heated up...blew the oil and we had to clean a cup of metal scrap from the pan. I can drive around town, but thats it.

Why not air your tires down to 20# or slow your vehicle down to compensate for the heavy loads and rough road?:?:

I run LubeLocker gaskets front and rear. Hopefully, this won't happen to my Jeep. http://www.lubelocker.com/