BajaNomad

FM2 and FM3 HOLDERS ARE EXEMPT FROM UK TAX ON AIRLINE TICKETS

Marla Daily - 10-14-2012 at 07:38 AM

I've bumped this to a new thread from the FMM questions thread.

Every airline ticket sold for flights to Mexico from the US automatically includes a UK tax. This is the tax that pays for the tourist visa. If you have an FM2 or FM3 you are exempt from this tax—about $22. BUT YOU MUST REQUEST A REFUND—EITHER AT THE AIRPORT OR FROM THE AIRLINE CUSTOMER SERVICE OFFICE. It is a big hassle and a waste of time, but there is no other way to avoid this tax when you fly. Millions of dollars are collected each year (and go where????) which should be returned as refunds. But the majority of folks either do not know this, or do not bother to request their refund be processed. If you buy your airline tickets with a credit card, the credit is put back on your card.

elizabeth - 10-14-2012 at 08:37 AM

It's actually very simple and only takes a few minutes if you go to the service desk in the departure area in LAX...never saw a line there...just show your passport and fm2/3, and fill out a very short form...I have been doing this a lot in the last few years...

john68 - 10-14-2012 at 10:14 AM

We fly from Denver and I've not had much luck over the years recovering the tax from Frontier and United. Letters and emails are generally ignored.

Any suggestions?

RnR - 10-14-2012 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john68
We fly from Denver and I've not had much luck over the years recovering the tax from Frontier and United. Letters and emails are generally ignored.

Any suggestions?

Try Alaska or USAirways. Both refund right at the checkin counter. Alaska even has (or did) a question/answer about the fee on their FAQ webpage.

john68 - 10-14-2012 at 06:38 PM

unfortunately, Frontier and United are the only non-stops from Denver.

bajacondo - 10-15-2012 at 12:50 PM

Westjet also doesn't charge the Mexican Tourist Tax.

Alm - 10-15-2012 at 03:36 PM

Westjet only files to Cabo.

karenintx - 10-15-2012 at 03:51 PM

I have never flown on Westjet but here is what they list on their website. It shows a few destinations in Mexico and the taxes/fees for each city.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deals/offers/sun-destination...