BajaNomad

Surfdoc

Pages:  1  

55steve - 10-23-2012 at 11:11 AM

Damn it...just heard that Stan passed away this morning.

[Edited on 10-23-2012 by 55steve]

BillP - 10-23-2012 at 11:14 AM

:(:(

Cisco - 10-23-2012 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Damn it...just heard that Stan passed away this morning.

[Edited on 10-23-2012 by 55steve]

Damn, Damn, Damn.

Stan and I spoke at length in March. He was ready he said for whenever it came.

He felt he was living in Paradise, was among the best people in his whole life and had his dog's and fishing.

I am heartbroken, he was a wonderful person who truly cared for others.

Go in Peace Big Man.

jureal - 10-23-2012 at 11:26 AM

I just read about this in SenorTuna where Stan was a member and where he had so many friends. Had the pleasure to know him and have fished with him in San Diego. Rest in Peace Amigo. My condolences to Stan's family as well as his new found family in Asuncion.

BornFisher - 10-23-2012 at 11:28 AM

Damn, we just lost a great man. RIP Stan.

tiotomasbcs - 10-23-2012 at 11:35 AM

Say it ain't so! Stan's a great guy, very giving! He absolutely loved his new life in BA. Was he in San Diego or in Asuncion. I'm stunned if this is true. Shari? I'm so sorry, so sad to hear this. His beloved dogs! He had many, many friends from Imperial Beach! You will be greatly missed, Amigo!! Tomas

DENNIS - 10-23-2012 at 11:35 AM

My most sincere condolences to family and friends. Asunción will mourn his loss.

DENNIS - 10-23-2012 at 11:37 AM

Not that it really matters, but are there any details?

55steve - 10-23-2012 at 11:41 AM

Here's a link to the BDOutdoors story...

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/personal-news/461460-we-los...

Martyman - 10-23-2012 at 11:53 AM

Wow! Stan lent my kid a rod and reel to fish for jurel in Asuncion. I'm shocked.
He also worked at the poison control center and helped us thru a scorpion fish sting. A very cool guy.

tiotomasbcs - 10-23-2012 at 12:00 PM

Can't find the story. Can someone cut/paste it here for us lame technos? Por favor. Gracias, Tio

DENNIS - 10-23-2012 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Here's a link to the BDOutdoors story...

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/personal-news/461460-we-los...

Could you give us a cut'n paste so we don't have to go through the registration thing?
Thanks.

BillP - 10-23-2012 at 12:04 PM

Dennis, here ya go from BD

Quote:

I just got the call nobody wants.... Sheri from Ascension called to let me know that our brother, Stan Stutzka has just passed away. He was cooking breakfast for his girlfriend and wasn't feeling well. She went to call an ambulance and when she came back he was on the floor. He was DOA when he got to the hospital. I really can't say enough good stuff about Stan. He was a true gentle giant. The guy was just a big kid with a heart of gold. He was an honest man who would always drop what he was doing to help another. As many know, Stan was also a Navy veteran and he leaves 3 kids behind. Stan was literally one of the first dozen members here on BD. He helped us with everything from moderating to setting up booths over the years. He has fished with Jason and I dozens of times. He always was stoked to go and always had a good time regardless of catching fish. While we gave him more chit than maybe anyone here on BD, we all loved the guy like a brother. He really was one of the most decent human beings I've ever known. We will miss you big guy. More than you'll ever know... Ali

DENNIS - 10-23-2012 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
Dennis, here ya go from BD

Thanks Bill.

Bajaboy - 10-23-2012 at 12:19 PM

Stan was my neighbor in BA....this really sucks!

Zac

Reas - 10-23-2012 at 12:37 PM

This was just posted on Stans facebook page.. his family in San Diego need a ride down

To all of Stan's Bahia Ascuncion traveling friends- We are in need of help. I have asked a good friend to get things started, but I need to get down there. His Sister and I need to get there, and get back up with his dogs. We are looking to get going sometime this week once his Sis is down from Oregon. The town is holding ceremony for him Saturday morning (tentavtively) Some time after we wrap up his things, we will be coming back . His vehicle isn't running either- all we need is transportation there and back. If you can help- feel free to contact me patricia_stutzka@yahoo.com or (619) 518-2840

[Edited on 10-23-2012 by Reas]

motoged - 10-23-2012 at 12:43 PM

Stan helped so many of us...:(

It seems like death is knocking at our doors.

May the fishing be good for you out there, Stan :saint:

vgabndo - 10-23-2012 at 01:21 PM

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, Stan!!!!

Only now do I realize how much I was looking forward to growing our friendship. I'm old enough to be his dad, and I looked up to him. I feel cheated. I wish he could know that.

I don't think he'd object to my re-printing this primary truth of 11th century philosophy

1. Life means suffering.

To live means to suffer, because the human nature is not perfect and neither is the world we live in. During our lifetime, we inevitably have to endure physical suffering such as pain, sickness, injury, tiredness, old age, and eventually death; and we have to endure psychological suffering like sadness, fear, frustration, disappointment, and depression. Although there are different degrees of suffering and there are also positive experiences in life that we perceive as the opposite of suffering, such as ease, comfort and happiness, life in its totality is imperfect and incomplete, because our world is subject to impermanence. This means we are never able to keep permanently what we strive for, and just as happy moments pass by, we ourselves and our loved ones will pass away one day, too.

Shari, sweetie, I'm SO sorry.

bajadogs - 10-23-2012 at 02:44 PM

I met him last November at Shari and Juan's. He was a really cool guy. He told me he had found paradise. I'm so sorry for those of you who knew him.

Bajagypsy - 10-23-2012 at 03:36 PM

Stan was one of a kind. The most giving man. I'm so sorry for his family. Stan here is hoping you are boogie boarding, and drinking some Tecate. You are very missed.

[Edited on 10-24-2012 by Bajagypsy]

bajafam - 10-23-2012 at 03:59 PM

this sucks. He was at his happiest when we saw him less than 20 days ago.
I was so glad that he was finding love and just enjoying his life. I will miss him. I already do.

GC - 10-23-2012 at 04:00 PM

There are few people who loved to fish more than Stan. It did not matter if he was out in his own boat, someone else's boat, surf fishing, helping Juan clean fish, or just talking about fishing, it seemed to be the center of his life. I last saw him in June and he was a happy guy. He will be missed.

Daveylikesit - 10-23-2012 at 04:17 PM

this sucks
Met Stan 2 years ago in Asuncion. He showed us how to crack and cook Lobster. He also pulled our M/H out when I got stuck.Why does it have to happen to all the good people. Our condolences to his family and all his friends.

Frank - 10-23-2012 at 04:17 PM

He always had a smile on his face.

Mula - 10-23-2012 at 04:33 PM

They told me when my son's father passed away in '75 - "he takes the best and leaves all us old rotten ones."

Sympathies to family and friends.

edit: spelling

[Edited on 10-24-2012 by Mula]

woody with a view - 10-23-2012 at 04:36 PM

:saint::saint::saint:RIP Amigo:saint::saint::saint:

boe4fun - 10-23-2012 at 05:08 PM

So so sorry to hear this news. I just spoke with Stan this past Monday. I was going to bring down an outboard motor for him - and possibly pick up a differential for his truck at one of the Yonke yards when I bring down my son in law in November. RIP bro - we had some great times fishing, filleting, and swaping fishing stories/lies.

bigboy - 10-23-2012 at 05:13 PM

Sad news! I just saw Stan last month in Bahia Asuncion. Met his new lady as well. He seemed so happy living his dream in Baja!

AlanDow - 10-23-2012 at 05:16 PM

I think a lot of us who only get to occasionally visit Baja, and or long to live or retire there, saw a bit of ourselves in Stan - who appeared to be living that dream. I really enjoyed the couple of times I bumped in to Stan in Asuncion - after spending just a little time with Stan (while downing a few Tecates) I saw and appreciated how much he loved Baja, helping people, and FISHING. In fact I had just emailed Stan just a few weeks ago to say I was headed down to Asuncion in early November and would he be willing to do a little surf fishing with me - show me some of his favored spots and techniques (I was going to supply the Tecate) I doubt if I need to tell anyone what Stan’s response was. RIP Stan.

acadist - 10-23-2012 at 07:13 PM

RIP Stan. There are not enough words to express the sadness in my heart. Although I only knew him from 2 visits to BA he was kind enough to offer friendship and was willilng to help my boys in their first adventure with big fish. They, and me, will remember him with a smile.

Iflyfish - 10-23-2012 at 07:42 PM

I am so sad, so very sad...what a good man....what an alive man...what a life....lived his dream....now gone...tears good friend....tears. Sad to see you go and I know how much of a hole he will leave in that lovely place that became his home. I had the privilege of getting to know Stan very well and I admired his passion for life, the generosity of his heart and the love he felt for his children and novia. There are no more word....just tears.....goodbye good friend. I am glad you had the time you had with us amigo, very glad. We are all richer from having known you. Your life reminds us all to seize our dreams, we are visitors here, and for some the going is too soon, too soon.

Iflyfish

Susana - 10-23-2012 at 08:54 PM

We will miss Stan so much. Had such fun with him when we would camp in Asuncion. Such a friendly, outgoing, nice guy.
I am shocked and saddened by this news.

rdrrm8e - 10-23-2012 at 08:57 PM

I spoke with Shari and Stan will have his family with him by Friday.

He is in good hands

shari - 10-23-2012 at 08:59 PM

We just got home from a very very long sad tearful day seeing Stanibuns off to the great fishing grounds beyond. He did not suffer and his passage was very quick...Juan accompanied him over the potholes to where he will get his final makeover and will chill for a couple days until his family and friends arrive for his funeral...they are just finishing up the autopsy now in Vizcaino.

Stan, I am proud to call you brother and friend. You are so very loved here and everywhere and have touched & helped so many people. You made a difference on alot of lives and will be sadly missed but never forgotten amigo.

thanks to those of you who held vigil with us today around the ambulance.

We are organizing a velorio here in Asuncion on Friday and will be with Stan all night and have a funeral Saturday morning, a procession to our panteon where Stan will rest overlooking the beach he so dearly loved to haul fish out of....followed by a celebration that night of Stan's life. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to come if you are in the area.

WE love you man....que le viaje my bien amigo...teach the angels to fish!

BajaBlanca - 10-23-2012 at 09:15 PM

DEP senhor Stan -glad I got to meet you. May your days be filled with fishing.

Paulina - 10-23-2012 at 09:24 PM

We are very sorry. Our condolences to everyone who had the good fortune of being his friend and family. He sounds like he was a wonderful human being. DEP Stan.

Paulina y Dern

standingwave - 10-23-2012 at 10:05 PM

Vaya con dios, Stan

Wanderglobe - 10-23-2012 at 10:35 PM

Very sad news. Michael and I would hang out with Stan while he was doing laundry down at Campo Sirena. Great guy. Big heart, big smile and two adorable dogs that went everywhere with him. He will be missed. I wish I could be there for the services.

Condolences to his family and friends.

MikeYounghusband - 10-24-2012 at 04:54 AM

I will never forget all our good times fishing buddy. Wish I could have seen you just one more time to celebrate our weekend in Vizciano, What an adventure.
I'm really going to miss you.

[Edited on 10-24-2012 by MikeYounghusband]

zforbes - 10-24-2012 at 05:40 AM

Once again, Shari has given above and beyond, and Juan has been a godsend in smoothing the many bumps in taking care of our friend Stan and his loved ones. It's been a time of coming together and cherishing those who are dear.

Hook - 10-24-2012 at 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e
I spoke with Shari and Stan will have his family with him by Friday.

He is in good hands

Well, it's very good to see a post by you, ChucK. I was wondering if I had missed YOUR passing, while living on the road this summer, when I read this above.

"Stan here is hoping you are boogie boarding, with Chuck, and drinking some Tecate."

I only fished with Stan a couple times in San Diego, usually with the "infamous" Dark Side brethren. A gentle giant with a great sense of humor, I thought.

Best fishes, Stan.

rdrrm8e - 10-24-2012 at 08:23 AM

I saw that too my friend:wow:

alive and well......sad and hurt, but well.

Bajagypsy - 10-24-2012 at 08:30 AM

My reference to Chuck was not ment as a person that anyone here knows, sorry to cause any more sadness. It was something that Stan and I said to eachother in a joking manner.

aguachico - 10-24-2012 at 10:59 AM

OH no, this is such terrible news. I just sent him a U2U asking if he needed something because of Chuck driving down there. My heart is very heavy and sad. RIP Stan. Condolences to the family, immediate and extended.

Mulegena - 10-24-2012 at 02:10 PM

Stunned and deeply saddened.
Oh, Stan, why'd ya have to go so soon?
I'm so happy that you were living your dreams and your finding love again has brought me a smile for you both.

Here's a Road Soda for ya, Stanibuns!

tiotomasbcs - 10-24-2012 at 04:52 PM

It's hard to let go! Mojac was the name of his custom panga and was named for the loves of his life; his dogs. They are some rowdy mongrels that loved to be Bad. My Lab loved to play with them on thebeach and Stan would chase them down and reprimand them for being...dogs! I hope Jackson and Moanna(?) are being taken care of. I know they were very important to Stan. You can tell from the pics! Fly on Our Sweet Angel. Many will miss you. Tio

BajaRat - 10-24-2012 at 05:07 PM

My heart aches, I counted on growing old with you.
You will not be soon forgotten Amigo.
I'm so happy for what you brought to our lives.

R.I.P.

comitan - 10-24-2012 at 05:45 PM

So very sad, someone so young, vital, loving and giving and I to worry about the dogs he loved so much.

Iflyfish - 10-24-2012 at 06:10 PM

For you Stan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHWHPPHpAj8

Iflyfish

shari - 10-24-2012 at 08:20 PM

we just got back from a very long day in Vizcaino waiting for officials, doctors, the coroner, funeral directors, secretaries etc etc and signing copious copies.

I also visited Stan in the cool room and it was quite an experience. His makeover is amazing and he looks really great in his favorite dress fish shirt he wore on special occasions. It was hard not to think he was sleeping except he wasnt snoring. Tears of love and sadness were shed throughout the day for my amigo.

Tomorrow we will make his resting place...we got the blocks, cement and rebar ready for the construction. Death is a very hands on thing here...I learned alot about the process here.

Friday afternoon Stan will arrive in style and we will hold an all night vigil at Campo Sirena. Saturday morning will be the funeral service and Stan will lay to rest at the panteon here with a wonderful view of the ocean. We will then have a campfire and wake party in his honour.

Any of Stan's amigo wanting to contribute to Stan's wake can do so by making a paypal donation labeled Stan's wake to the account of juanarcemarron@gmail.com all donations will be graciously appreciated....thanks to those who have already donated to help make Stan's last party a nice one.

We are graciously accepting donations for Stan's farewell.

[Edited on 10-25-2012 by shari]

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 08:59 AM

I was reading the banned site this morning, and there was a reference to Stan. Actually, it was done pretty respectfully. But I wanted to make a very important point here. The use and/or access to AED's are paramount....and the education of and access to them is becoming more evident. Do you know that its not the heart attack that can kill you? It's the arrhythmia that goes along with it that in the majority of cases will. For people to mention that CPR probably wasn't performed is only a small part of the problem, if that indeed was the scenario. A good AED is needed.....yes, we can all be squeamish about jump starting a heart, but in fact a young child in Hawaii used the defibrillator and saved a life. I would even go as far to say that an individual or couple could own their own, the prices have come down so much. So CPR is just part of the problem, and if you don't get the person out of an arrhythmia you can do CPR all you want and the person won't live. Afib isn't the problem, you can live with that. But its the Ventricular Fibrillation or Sustained Ventricular Tachycardia that will kill.

[Edited on 10-25-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

Bajagypsy - 10-25-2012 at 09:08 AM

Mr. Gypsy and I were just talking about getting an AED for our place in Baja. I'm thinking now that it is deffinately on our MUST DO list.

DENNIS - 10-25-2012 at 09:10 AM

So.... All of this CPR instruction we're being buried with is a useless waste of time without a defibrillator?

Cypress - 10-25-2012 at 09:17 AM

DENNIS, Sounds like it! Those AED's cost $1199.00 +-. Jeez! When your time's up, it's up.:O

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 09:24 AM

Read, Dennis....read CAREFULLY. QUOTE " It's the arrhythmia that goes along with it that in THE MAJORITY of cases will. For people to mention that CPR probably wasn't performed is only a small part of the problem, if that indeed was the scenario.UNQUOTE from my post. Read this article for a better and more thorough explanation. Especially under "STATISTICS"

http://www.dps.sdsu.edu/aed.htm

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 09:27 AM

So essentially, Dennis, yes, CPR is useless if a person is having a heart attack and defibrillation is not a factor in the equation.

Iflyfish - 10-25-2012 at 09:31 AM

Thank you for this vital post EnsenadaDr

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 10-25-2012 at 09:33 AM

http://www.integrisequipment.com/Refurbished_AED_For_Sale_s/...

Used and refurbished Defib devices

Iflyfish

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 09:33 AM

Cheaper than a casket and/or a cremation, or shipping a body to the US....or for that matter, cheaper than an ambulance to the border. As the old saying goes, "I'm spending my children's inheritance."
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
DENNIS, Sounds like it! Those AED's cost $1199.00 +-. Jeez! When your time's up, it's up.:O

Cypress - 10-25-2012 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Thank you for this vital post EnsenadaDr

Iflyfish

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 09:36 AM

Get an AED between a small group in your community. The main factor is that there is a 24 hour chain of command. That one person has it at all times and can deliver it immediately to the person in trouble. The machine will analyze the rhythm, if the heart does not have an abnormal rhythm, the machine will tell you NOT to press the button. This might be a cheaper and certainly viable option to split the cost among neighbors.

[Edited on 10-25-2012 by EnsenadaDr]

shari - 10-25-2012 at 09:43 AM

there are so many things lacking in a small community like ours. The village ambulance doesnt even have oxygen! When we arrived on the scene, the paramedic was getting a pulse...he had a weak pulse but his breathing was very laboured like he was choking. They got him on a board but it was hard to get it out of the bedroom doorway. I was a bit surprised that the doctor didnt bring him into emergency...she said there was nothing they could do and I understand it is a rule they wont bring someone who's heart has stopped into the emergency...seemed so strange to me.

The coroner said Stan's heart was very enlarged and there was alot of fat build up in his arteries so his heart was working overtime just to pump the blood...he said stan was a ticking time bomb ready to go off at any moment....so I believe it was his day to die....oxygen, cpr or defibrillator or not....but that having been said...I am certainly open to suggestions on how to save a life.

Stan always said he was ready to go and his only wish was that it would be quick and it was....we figured about a half hour from when he was flipping the pancakes.

Today's tasks are to get the cross made...we hope the plaque on it will be in the shape of a yellowtail..get the grave dug...make some wreaths...get the slide show together...get the camp ready for the vigil...have a tecate or two.

thanks to all of you who are helping with the preparations and costs...it is greatly appreciated.

Keep your batteries charged, folks!!

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 09:44 AM

And thank you, Iflyfish, for the used and refurbished link. What is important to remember: every few years the battery must be replaced, it's not important enough to keep it plugged in without checking the battery, and once the machine is used, and the battery is discharged, it needs to be replaced. I think the latest I have heard is that the battery is only good for 5 years, but even in hospitals, the common error is not to check the crash cart after the defib paddles have been used to see if the machine is plugged in and charging. Battery maintenance on these things are the number one concern.
Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
http://www.integrisequipment.com/Refurbished_AED_For_Sale_s/...

Used and refurbished Defib devices

Iflyfish

bajadock - 10-25-2012 at 09:46 AM

Did not know Stan, but, from this thread, looks like he made things a whole lot better than he found them. Looking forward to joining the celebration tomorrow night. Let us know if we can pick something up on our way through Ensenada today.

DENNIS - 10-25-2012 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Get an AED between a small group in your community.

Yeah....we've been all through this in the community. Problem for me is, they want to let the local mechanic be in charge of it, mainly because you and a few others insist it's simple to use.
It is irresponsible to suggest anything to the local group of expat mow-rons that will take responsibility for the machine out of their hands, but they're all for it because a doctor says it's a safe thing to do.
That machine will not compensate for the mechanics lack of training. He's even a shtty mechanic and you want to give him the job of saving lives with a stun-gun.

Cypress - 10-25-2012 at 09:48 AM

Be sure about not being in contact with metal when the defib is activated.

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 09:54 AM

Dennis, I am frankly very surprised, that with you and all your experiences you would not be the first one up on Lomas Del Mar to start this thing going. I am sure a few of your neighbors up there who have been in life or death situations would be willing to give this a go. Punta Banda has to stop looking towards Alex Pabloff to start this thing..I have been trying for years with him and the fire station and all I receive is a slap in the face. Cypress, the voice on the machine states "All Clear" which essentially means no one can touch the victim when the button is pushed, and the machine with the button is grounded so you won't get shocked. I will go as far as to say that any Baja community without an AED is committing a slow suicide. Even Mexican malls and airports don't have them.....Honolulu airport had one every few gates.

Cypress - 10-25-2012 at 10:01 AM

EnsenadaDr, Thanks for the info. It's good to have a doctor in the house.:biggrin:

rdrrm8e - 10-25-2012 at 10:02 AM

Please stay on topic. Please take the political discussion to a separate thread.

Please

ON Topic??

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 10:06 AM

The topic is "A good man has died prematurely". ANY disagreement on that rdrrm8e??? No, I didn't think so. How sad is it that a 54 year old man passed away before his time? I am sure you would agree, VERY sad. On that note, many here, including myself, want to reduce the incidences of this happening. So we are trying to help and make suggestions to save people's lives. Too political for you?
Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e
Please stay on topic. Please take the political discussion to a separate thread.

Please

Cypress - 10-25-2012 at 10:06 AM

rdrrm8e,?????Must have missed something?:no:

bajafam - 10-25-2012 at 10:07 AM

How do I put into words what Stan was to me?
When I first met him in 2010 at Campo Sirena, he flattered me by telling me I was beautiful. Then in the same breath, asked what he could do to get me away from my husband. I laughingly told him nothing, and he promptly responded, "Do you have a sister?" No, I'm an only child. "How about your mom?" Oh, Stan....you had a way to make people laugh even in the most uncomfortable of situations and I felt as if I had known you for years after only knowing you about 10 minutes.
It was a constant ribbing about how he would take my husband out to fish and he'd have a accident. We went back and forth between fondness and irritation, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. He helped us find homes for abandoned puppies, brought blankets for my kids while camping when we were cold, brought fish and beer almost daily, though the beer he was reluctant to part with. He shared a caguyama Tecate with me once, and asked Lionel the next day when he would get a replacement for it. That guy :lol:
We had a slight falling out over a misunderstanding last year, and he came up to me and told me he forgave me....even though it was really his mistake. He always referred to me as his wife, and that irked me. What I wouldn't give to roll into Asuncion and have him say that again.
As my hubby, BajaRat, stated...I too looked forward to growing old around Stanibuns. He was doing what we dream of doing...living life to the fullest amongst friends in Asuncion. He was loved for his blunders, his smile, his terrible Spanish, his larger than life presence.
I wish there was some way we could be there to pay our respects to him in person, but I know that he knows we are there in spirit. Stanibuns....you were one of a kind. I am honored that I, and my family, was even a slight part of your life. I wish I could have told you that I really did like you....I will miss you. My heart is heavy and aching for the friend that I will never get to enjoy a Tecate and a good natured teasing with again. Here's to you, my friend. Party on....

Let's face it..

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 10:10 AM

Cypress, what rubbed this guy/gal wrong was the inference about Alex Pabloff and the general apathy/fear or whatever of the Punta Banda community to mobilize together and purchase and use an AED. You see, from what I can glean, they all thought it was a gimmick or a money making scheme. When I started bringing this up, people thought I was trying to take over. It's time to start thinking about how to help their neighbors instead of trying to tear others down for trying to help.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
rdrrm8e,?????Must have missed something?:no:

Iflyfish - 10-25-2012 at 10:32 AM

Like Shari I am not sure anything could have been done to save Stan. He was ready to go. He told me that. It's not that he wanted to go, far from it, it's just that he was ready. He did live his life to the fullest to the moment he died. He was a good man and a friend to many.

We had a discussion a long time ago on making sure there are people around you in Baja know what to do in an emergency if you are not conscious. This again reinforces that need. If you have not done so now is a good time to put together your own emergency preparedness information.

An AED is a very important tool and is life saving. It is my hope that one day all communities in Baja will have this important equipment as well as Oxygen in their clinics. Anything that we Nomads can do to facilitate this is a gift we give to ourselves.

Iflyfish

bajafam - 10-25-2012 at 10:42 AM

shari - 10-25-2012 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's time to start thinking about how to help their neighbors instead of trying to tear others down for trying to help.
Quote:

thank you Dr for your insights and I agree whole heartedly with at least trying to improve the chances of survival in case of a heart attack.

Too bad Surfdoc wont be around to help make much needed improvements in emergency situations but he would be so very glad that his death might lead to saving others in the future. He would have been the logical person to work this machine if we can get one here. I would also like to try to get oxygen into the ambulance.

boe4fun - 10-25-2012 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Quote:
It's time to start thinking about how to help their neighbors instead of trying to tear others down for trying to help.
Quote:

thank you Dr for your insights and I agree whole heartedly with at least trying to improve the chances of survival in case of a heart attack.

Too bad Surfdoc wont be around to help make much needed improvements in emergency situations but he would be so very glad that his death might lead to saving others in the future. He would have been the logical person to work this machine if we can get one here. I would also like to try to get oxygen into the ambulance.

Shari, I'm gonna contact Dr. Bob Haining and the Mother Lode of the Flying Sam's to see if they can help.

shari - 10-25-2012 at 10:55 AM

great idea Paul...Stan was always there to help with the Flying Doctors clinics here.

Bajagypsy - 10-25-2012 at 11:01 AM

I think that Stan is smiling that his passing is pulling the Asuncion communtiy together, to try and better our community.
Sucks ass that it was his passing that spured this on, but all the same I'm glad it is getting communication and a wish list going.

Hook - 10-25-2012 at 11:08 AM

Maybe the post strayed only slightly towards the political, but I would question the appropriateness of the whole discussion about what might have saved Stan.

This has really become a memorial thread for the man. I think we should respect that and allow it to continue. I suspect that's the point that rdrrm8e is making. He's probably known Surfdoc longer than anyone else on this board.

It's like showing up at a funeral and announcing to everyone that "......you know, he might have been saved if only............."

This is as close to a wake or a funeral for Surfdoc that most of us will get. Let's respect the mourners for a bit, here. The lessons to be learned will have plenty of time later.

rdrrm8e - 10-25-2012 at 11:12 AM

mikey, me, Surfdoc, duke and Dimitri.

The original Darkside

Stan

DENNIS - 10-25-2012 at 11:14 AM

Threads morph....even the most well intentioned.
Excuse me for getting off track. I'll save it for later.

IN THE SPIRIT OF MEMORIALZING STAN

Posada-BushPilot - 10-25-2012 at 11:25 AM

Allow me to share my little story about Stan. We met him just a year ago on a fishing trip to his hood. I will remember the man every time I go to the freezer because he taught us how to properly preserve our catch using plastic grocery bags and vacumm packer. Thanks to him our frozen fish and meats stay much fresher even after being in the box for a year.

Thanks for that Stan. May you rest in peace amigo.

A THOUSAND apologies!!!

EnsenadaDr - 10-25-2012 at 11:32 AM

In my perhaps inconsiderate zealousness, I am sorry if I took away from the respect of Mr. Stan, whom I did not know but in any case feel he needs a memorial as well. Rest In Peace and condolences to the family.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Maybe the post strayed only slightly towards the political, but I would question the appropriateness of the whole discussion about what might have saved Stan.

This has really become a memorial thread for the man. I think we should respect that and allow it to continue. I suspect that's the point that rdrrm8e is making. He's probably known Surfdoc longer than anyone else on this board.

It's like showing up at a funeral and announcing to everyone that "......you know, he might have been saved if only............."

This is as close to a wake or a funeral for Surfdoc that most of us will get. Let's respect the mourners for a bit, here. The lessons to be learned will have plenty of time later.

shari - 10-25-2012 at 11:45 AM

I agree...lets start a new topic later about this...now back to Stanibuns who I know is chuckling about all of this...the master of thread lockdowns!

BajaRat - 10-25-2012 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will bring a portable O2 set up in Mar. and work on an AED. We will dedicate it to Sr. Stan

mtgoat666 - 10-25-2012 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
there are so many things lacking in a small community like ours. The village ambulance doesnt even have oxygen! When we arrived on the scene, the paramedic was getting a pulse...he had a weak pulse but his breathing was very laboured like he was choking. They got him on a board but it was hard to get it out of the bedroom doorway. I was a bit surprised that the doctor didnt bring him into emergency...she said there was nothing they could do and I understand it is a rule they wont bring someone who's heart has stopped into the emergency...seemed so strange to me.

never met surfdoc, but he seemed to be a good online pugilist. RIP!

re arteroschlerosis, heart disease, etc.; yes, an AED may help restart a stalled heart, but you still need good cardiac care quickly after a reboot by AED! problem with rural areas in mexico is that hightech cardiac care is not in rural areas. i suppose if you are going to live outside of a USA urban metro region with good ER care, then you best eat well, exercise and watch your cholesterol and make sure your arteries stay soft!

bajafam - 10-25-2012 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
I will bring a portable O2 set up in Mar. and work on an AED. We will dedicate it to Sr. Stan

That's my hubby :)
I love this. We can affectionately call it Stan.

Iflyfish - 10-25-2012 at 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafam
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat

That's my hubby :)
I love this. We can affectionately call it Stan.

Saludos!!

Iflyfish

willardguy - 10-25-2012 at 10:37 PM

from his facebook page.
for the life of me I can't understand why he was trying to hide this beer bottle behind a fish? :lol:RIP stan

Bajagypsy - 10-26-2012 at 05:16 AM

Today I send all my love to Everyone in Asuncion as they prepare to send Stan to his final resting place. Wish I could be there to help celebrate his life. RIP Stan, and always remember my family and I are fond of you.

Iflyfish - 10-26-2012 at 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
Today I send all my love to Everyone in Asuncion as they prepare to send Stan to his final resting place. Wish I could be there to help celebrate his life. RIP Stan, and always remember my family and I are fond of you.

Amen.

Iflyfish

woody with a view - 10-26-2012 at 06:04 AM

maybe, as a "sign" of respect, one of the BA street signs which currently say S/N (sin nombre) could be renamed to "Stan"?

Barbareno - 10-26-2012 at 06:42 AM

We only met Stan once but we knew we wanted to play with him some more. :no:

Our thoughts are with you today ..... Tim and Barb

BajaRat - 10-26-2012 at 01:41 PM

VIGILS HELD AROUND THE WORLD

We LOVE you Stan ! We've been celebrating your life all day !

BajaRat - 10-26-2012 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
maybe, as a "sign" of respect, one of the BA street signs which currently say S/N (sin nombre) could be renamed to "Stan"?

Awesome !
He really will be remembered as a humanitarian..................
and then some in the community ! :cool:

shari - 10-26-2012 at 02:01 PM

Juan just called and Stan is now making his last trip over the potholed road and will be here in a couple of hours...all is ready for his arrival. My heart is heavy with grief.

David K - 10-26-2012 at 02:08 PM

Just saw this sad news... I hadn't read it so I must say how sad it is when we lose a 'good one' Vaya Con Dios... sorry we never met. See you on the other side!

Bajagypsy - 10-26-2012 at 02:11 PM

Shari,
Even though I cannot be there in person, I will be beside you holding your hand and wiping your tears.

I have said this to you before, but I truly want you to know that from the bottom of my heart I thank you for being the woman that you are. A person could not ask for a better friend in this life, or the next.
xo

bajafam - 10-26-2012 at 02:20 PM

Here's to you Stanibuns. We love you!

Pages:  1