BajaNomad

More to come for San felipe

mcfez - 10-24-2012 at 08:40 AM

Walmart de México is current building a location in San Felipe. My understanding from four business owners of the area. It's location is.......right next to the Calimax that was just opened a month ago. The Walmart de México going up in not your usual size Walmart, but rather a smaller version of it.

Calimax made a major blunder during their design stage of this store. The parking lot is extremely small....and many clients are parking off site due to this. Personally....I wouldn't park down the street. Besides......I will always buy from the small grocery businesses of Baja, not the chain outlets.

And now the real bad news................
McDonalds! Yes, McDonalds! Early next year I can start buying fish fillet sandwiches. No more of those fish tacos off the Malecon, for me :o It is true...McD's is opening in SF.

[Edited on 10-24-2012 by mcfez]

Hook - 10-24-2012 at 08:45 AM

You gotta be kidding. You REALLY prefer the McFish thang to a good ol, batter dipped Mexican fish taco?

Bajajorge - 10-24-2012 at 08:50 AM

The Walmart smaller version is named something else, CRS has set in on the name though.
As for Michael's Steak House(Mickey Ds), that sucks, there goes the neighborhood.:(:(:barf:

Russ - 10-24-2012 at 08:54 AM

reconstituted fish byproducts burger. Yuuum:lol:

nbacc - 10-24-2012 at 08:54 AM

Too bad as I like our small little town of San Felipe. When I go there it is nice to leave the big box stores behind. Hummmmmmm Nancy

mcfez - 10-24-2012 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
You gotta be kidding. You REALLY prefer the McFish thang to a good ol, batter dipped Mexican fish taco?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Hell no! Gotcha Hook :-)

Bajajorge....you are right....but I could not remember the name as I posted this.

bkbend - 10-24-2012 at 09:09 AM

Is this all an indication of the big boys positioning themselves up for increased traffic after the completion of MX5 to MX1 in the near future? Or is San Felipe booming these days.

bajaguy - 10-24-2012 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
The Walmart smaller version is named something else, CRS has set in on the name though.

Bodega Aurrera :lol:

willardguy - 10-24-2012 at 09:46 AM

calimax parking does suck but I love the store. I think its small enough to be unobtrusive in a small town, and unlike mcdonalds and walmart I think the mexicans should be proud of its sucess being a 70 year old chain started in tijuana.
they could use some gringo sized carts for multiple 18 packs of tecate though!:spingrin:

sancho - 10-24-2012 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend
Is this all an indication of the big boys positioning themselves up for increased traffic after the completion of MX5 to MX1 in the near future? Or is San Felipe booming these days.

Those are good questions, I don't see SF booming
at least currently. I too feel an obligation of sorts,
and would feel a bit guilty not to continue
to buy from the smaller grocery stores, and
roadside fruit stands

micah202 - 10-24-2012 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend

Those are good questions, I don't see SF booming
at least currently. I too feel an obligation of sorts,
and would feel a bit guilty not to continue
to buy from the smaller grocery stores, and
roadside fruit stands

yeh,,save a few pesos=kill the small merchants....the big-box culture seems like what most of are trying to escape!

bajaguy - 10-24-2012 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

yeh,,save a few pesos=kill the small merchants....the big-box culture seems like what most of are trying to escape!

Not quite correct............you should see the parking lots at Home Depot, the Super Wal-Mart and COSTCO here in Ensenada on Sundays.....all packed with families shopping ans spending $$$.

CortezBlue - 10-24-2012 at 02:39 PM

Hey McBagboy

I have been hearing this for a while, but, I heard that it is not going to be a Walmart, but some sort of off shoot? But who knows. I have also heard that there will be 3 new hotels going in between SF and Puertocitos

The only name I have heard is Holiday Inn Express and 2 others.

Also, while we are talking future rumors, SF.com was talking about ripping the sidewalks out on the Malecon??

I thought they were all new???

sancho - 10-24-2012 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Hey McBagboy

Also, while we are talking future rumors, SF.com was talking about ripping the sidewalks out on the Malecon??

Mc Bagboy, I think that's funny? Sidewalks, I believe
the sidewalk replacement is on the opposite side
of the street from the Malecon wall, I think it said starting
infront of the Beachcomber going no. towards the
Bar Miramar

luv2fish - 10-24-2012 at 03:52 PM

[Edited on 10-24-2012 by luv2fish]

mcfez - 10-24-2012 at 04:38 PM

Yes....the "off shoot" is Walmart's .
Three hotels and they cant finish the existing highrises :-) I doubt that there be any sort of construction beyond South SF for years. Bad economy, no power, no water. (yeah!)

SF.com is not a good website to rely on.....hell....they were not posting for over two months there :o That site is doomed. In fact......they had to shut down their existing physical location due to a lack of revenue....which shows on their website (many slots for ads unfilled).

I prefer Randy's http://www.blueroadrunner.com and/or http://www.bajatimes.com/sanfelipe.asp for news.

The Malecon is a joke I hate to say. All that work next to the sea wall ....the inlay colors have faded already. There is no planting mediums. The sea wall (in partial)......has fallen to the sea. The ramps have been severely damaged......the tidal action has excavated the underside of the concrete by 3 feet deep and 4-6 feet inward on each side of the ramp.

All this.....and they are tearing up the opposite side of the street to lay new concrete. What a mess! The business owners down there are having sh-- fits over this.

Quote:
Hey McBagboy

I have been hearing this for a while, but, I heard that it is not going to be a Walmart, but some sort of off shoot? But who knows. I have also heard that there will be 3 new hotels going in between SF and Puertocitos

CortezBlue - 10-24-2012 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Yes....the "off shoot" is Walmart's .
Three hotels and they cant finish the existing highrises :-) I doubt that there be any sort of construction beyond South SF for years. Bad economy, no power, no water. (yeah!)

SF.com is not a good website to rely on.....hell....they were not posting for over two months there :o That site is doomed. In fact......they had to shut down their existing physical location due to a lack of revenue....which shows on their website (many slots for ads unfilled).

I prefer Randy's http://www.blueroadrunner.com and/or http://www.bajatimes.com/sanfelipe.asp for news.

The Malecon is a joke I hate to say. All that work next to the sea wall ....the inlay colors have faded already. There is no planting mediums. The sea wall (in partial)......has fallen to the sea. The ramps have been severely damaged......the tidal action has excavated the underside of the concrete by 3 feet deep and 4-6 feet inward on each side of the ramp.

All this.....and they are tearing up the opposite side of the street to lay new concrete. What a mess! The business owners down there are having sh-- fits over this.

Quote:
Hey McBagboy

I don't disagree with your comments. I was down the weekend that the Super Tide took out the wall. Very Sad. After going down to the new malecon in PV last Christmas I was hoping there was going to be some real upgrades. PV really did it up right. No more taxi's honking, just the sound of the ocean and the night we were there a flash mob showed up and did a really cool street dance.

bajaguy - 10-24-2012 at 07:49 PM

The Wal-Mart offshoot is called Bodega Aurrera. Lots of Wal-Mart branded items stocked.

viabaja - 10-24-2012 at 10:53 PM

When is Home Depot coming in?...:)

redhilltown - 10-24-2012 at 11:11 PM

...and maybe Starbucks for a nice cup of joe on those cool August days????

Bajajorge - 10-25-2012 at 08:31 AM

Wow, use words like Walmart and McDonalds and World War III starts on the forum. Almost as bad as when somebody mentions Obamacare.:lol::lol:

mcfez - 10-25-2012 at 08:36 AM

A sub store of Home depot WAS slated to open two years ago in San Felipe. One would be able to order "at the counter" there...........and it be shipped in from Mexicali. Would had been a blessing. Economic disaster shut down that idea.

bajaguy........racked my brain all night....txs! Bodega Aurrera.

Quote:
Originally posted by viabaja
When is Home Depot coming in?...:)

desertcpl - 10-25-2012 at 08:39 AM

we just got back from San Felipe, stayed at the El Cortez

with a little haggling was able to get the room for $60.00 a night, town seems to be busy
had a really great dinner at Chuey's
looked at a place in the south campo thats for sale, but going to pass, spent the day looking around
went out to the Ranch ( el dorado) alot of actively going on with snowbirds coming back, had happy hour at Jolly mans
we liked that alot, very nice crowd
I can see why El Dorado ranch has become very popular with Gringos, and we drove out to Petes Camp, it was quiet only few people camping on the beach
bought some fresh shrimp,, $40.00 for 3 Kilo's

rts551 - 10-25-2012 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Calimax made a major blunder during their design stage of this store. The parking lot is extremely small....and many clients are parking off site due to this. Personally....I wouldn't park down the street. Besides......I will always buy from the small grocery businesses of Baja, not the chain outlets.

Why wouldn't you park down the street?

mcfez - 10-25-2012 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

Why wouldn't you park down the street?

Sounds like a troll...............

For the same reasons that ALL shopping malls and stores in the USA have security personal driving in their parking lots along with cameras...."cars do indeed get broken in for the goods".

My truck has stuff in the rear....I am not going to be a trusting fool to park it down a side street......