BajaNomad

2nd scorpion in 2 nights

Russ - 10-28-2012 at 08:49 AM

I have no idea why I'm getting so many scorpions in the last month. I've killed more in the last month than in the last 3 years.
Last night and the night before I had a scorpion drop on me while reading in bed. I felt them hit me and swept them off PDQ before they had a chance to get peeed or move around.

I have been looking for the and have no idea where they're coming from. I have even searched them out with the black light after dark and sprayed with Home Defense. Enough is enough.

[Edited on 10-28-2012 by Russ]

woody with a view - 10-28-2012 at 08:54 AM

Home defense=size 11 boot!

grace59 - 10-28-2012 at 11:56 AM

Yikes, I wouldn't like that. Perhaps they are coming in now because the nights are cooling??? I'd definitely do some more Home Defense inside and outside the house. I usually go out at night with my black light and a can that looks like Raid, but has a scorpion on it...byw...worked great on the Black Widow we found in our garage :-(

DavidE - 10-28-2012 at 01:52 PM

If you live in a palapa good luck. Commercial spraying is the only thing I've ever seen work.
If you live in a house, a scorpion can squeeze through an opening the size of a pea.

Spray insulation foam. Plug all the openings including Electrical tubing. Clip branches or scorpions will fall on your roof. Put latex door/floor scrapers on all outside doors.

In Michoacán my hens will walk a mile for a scorpion treat.

wessongroup - 10-28-2012 at 01:54 PM

They LIKE you ... :):)

woody with a view - 10-28-2012 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Put latex door/floor scrapers on all outside doors.

otherwise known as a door sweep.

bajajudy - 10-28-2012 at 03:02 PM

If you have them really bad, be sure to check between your sheets before crawling in bed.

Adopt Some Smart Cats

Gypsy Jan - 10-28-2012 at 03:13 PM

We did have problems with scorpions, but our three cats worked together to take them out.

They would do the hunting at night and I would find and clean up the carcasses in the morning.

Sadly, our cats have passed over the rainbow bridge, but our monthly visit from the fumigadora who sprays the house perimeter inside and out has prevented any more problems.

bugs & critters

captkw - 10-28-2012 at 03:20 PM

Hola, years ago near lago chiapla,mex. a old lady told me a trick about taking your firepit ashes and spreading a thin line around your tent/car/house and the bugs will not cross the line !!! have been doing this for many years and it works !! ...K&T:cool:

mulegemichael - 10-28-2012 at 04:02 PM

diatomaceous earth works the same way..just sprinkle a line around the house, or whatever you want to protect, and viola, no mas insectos!

vgabndo - 10-28-2012 at 04:41 PM

THIS one Russ, doesn't look like the Desert Hairy...are they about 2" long max? See how long and skinny his tail is compared to the big ones? Ouch! Under the best of circumstances, part of the symptoms are psychedelic. :o

I've seen mosquito screen under the palapa over the bed. I never did that, but even with a tin roof, we'd still have one fall from the perlins now and then.

KaceyJ - 10-28-2012 at 06:17 PM

Well Russ , xeriscaping is the answer

Get a gallon of round-up and kill anything that needs to be watered. The hundreds of palm trees that have sprung up on shell beach in the last decade will ensure a healthy population of scorpions for years to come. Not to mention the hoards of bobos, jejenes and flies. Doesn't do much good to point this out to the inhabitants there as they all seem to think it's the next SouthBeach - in Spite of the recent water rate increases that everyone is b-tching about.:lol:Hah!

BajaRat - 10-28-2012 at 06:36 PM

Russ,
Do you have bark scorpions there ?
This one looks suspiciously similar.

grace59 - 10-28-2012 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Russ,
Do you have bark scorpions there ?
This one looks suspiciously similar.

From the UC Ag. and Nat. Resources website:
"The bark scorpion is found throughout Arizona, in the extreme southeastern portion of California near Arizona, and in southwestern New Mexico. In Mexico, the bark scorpion is found in Baja California Norte, Baja California Sur, and Sonora. Bark scorpions reach a length of 3 inches and have a very thin tail only 1/16 inch wide; the body is yellow without stripes or patterns. The bark scorpion is the only common climbing scorpion and does not normally burrow but usually lives above ground under tree bark and in palm trees and crevices of rocky cliffs. Because it can ascend slump block walls or stucco, this species is the scorpion most likely to enter dwellings. The bark scorpion is attracted to moisture around homes and in the house. It also may be found in stacked lumber or bricks, firewood piles, cellars, and attics. It needs only a crack of 1/16 inch to enter a home."
I've killed a few of these around my home in San Felipe.

Hi Russ

BigOly - 10-28-2012 at 08:31 PM

This goes without saying, check your underwear before you put them on.

rhintransit - 10-28-2012 at 08:53 PM

sleep under a mosquito net. close it when you are in and out of bed. only thing that worked for me when I was in a palapa roofed house. having one drop on my pillow once was enough for me

scorpions/castabelle

jkruk - 10-29-2012 at 07:18 AM

Russ they are out in force. Night I left for SD with Billy stepped on one in patio, lucky we were both head the same direction. Night I left for home with Carl almost stepped on a rattler going out to shutdown the propane. Be careful out there. Maybe too much water??

Martyman - 10-29-2012 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly
This goes without saying, check your underwear before you put them on.

Who wears undies in baja?

55steve - 10-29-2012 at 10:00 AM

That looks like the type that stung me while I was sleeping in the trailer in BoLA - hurt for 3 days!

Bugman - 10-30-2012 at 11:37 AM

Trying to plug up all the openings where they can get in is one of the best things you can do. These guys are super flat and normally would hide between rocks or under tree bark so slipping under a door or around a window screen is easy for them if those things don't fit tightly. With all the rain Baja got this year it will produce a bumper crop if insects and the scorpions feed on these so it will increase their numbers too. The water is great but there seems to be a price to be paid for everything!:cool: