BajaNomad

Canyons and Cobblestone - Sierra Las Tinajas (2006)

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 05:56 PM

Jeeps parked and on the ready in El Centro, CA:bounce:

Jeep owners are a peculiar group. Always smiling and traveling in small groups...:?:

Finally across the Mexican border, and looking for a parking ticket.:!:

Talking Jeeps just outside of Mexicali

Gassed up and ready for fun!

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 06:42 PM

Across the street from the Pemex station in El Progreso is this convenient lot where we squeezed all of our 4x4s into.

HELP! AN ARB SNORKLE IS GROWING OUT OF MY HEAD!

Time to get saddled up and ready for the trail.:!:

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 06:47 PM

Looking over the newest in stolen property.:cool:

With our tires aired down, we're ready to have some fun!

Looking at the vineyards south of Guadalupe Canyon.

Entering Baja's Magical Canyon Country

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 06:54 PM

Our Jeeps as we passed Cohabuzo Junction

The Toyota kept up with our Jeeps and didn't break down on the entire trip.:yes:

The beauty of Baja can be seen so close to the border.

Our Jeeps were engineered for this kind of terrain.

At dusk, we continued to The Pole Line Road!

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 07:00 PM

1 hour before sunset, we stopped and set up camp along the trail. Our camp for the first night was located along the road to THE SUMMIT.

Buenos dias, Amigo!

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 07:11 PM

My gently used Optima battery completely gave out. The Optima that I bought in Calexico was connected by the US Marines!:yes:

Before we hit the Pole Line Road, we decided to drive up to The Summit to look out over the Laguna Salada.

"Hey, Get Outta My Way!!"

The first breakdown on the trail. Actually, a steering component came loose from all of the washboard trail. We stopped to make sure Larry would be okay.

Standing around, waiting for Larry...

Larry was ready, so we turned our Jeeps around, and hit the Pole Line Road.

The Pole Line Road attracted drivers from Nevada, Northern California, Central Arizona and Western Colorado!

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 07:23 PM

Victor's Independent Front Steering could not hold up to the 35" Tires on this rocky trail. The first of many adjustments.

Wildflowers of Baja California

Victor (and his Father) caught up to the group. Little did he know that his pickup was in for some real extreme action.

Enmedio Canyon is a tough route to travel. Be prepared, or be prepared to walk out.:!:

Next up, the US Marines!

The funny part begins here!

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 07:35 PM

As we parked along Basketball Hill, we became disoriented - continuing further down Enmedio Canyon to a giant 300 ft. Waterfall!:lol: (Notice the Toyota pickup parked downward along Basketball Hill)

Continuing further down Enmedio Canyon

Yes, it is a Jeep thing!:yes:

Here is what a 6" Full-Traction Long-Arm suspension running 35" BF Goodrich along the Pole Line Road looks like.

Here is a 4" Currie lifted Sahara Jeep in the wilds of Baja California!

Continuing down Enmedio Canyon - The wrong way down the Pole Line Road

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 07:44 PM

At the end of Enmedio Canyon before a massive waterfall that drops into Canon Jaquegel. Yes, we had to turn around in the dark.

Trying to fine our way out...:o

The bridge we constructed to go down now had to allow a full-size pickup to travel up and back over. Nearly an impossible feat. Good thing the US Marines were on duty!

We stopped for the night at the turnoff for Basketball Hill.:lol:

Neal Johns - 10-28-2012 at 08:20 PM

I confess, Ken.

It has changed for the worst (Best?) since Marian drove our camper over it!
Now it is more of a Jeep thing!
Toyota Owner

TW keeping up with Victor 'Skeletor'

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2012 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
I confess, Ken.

It has changed for the worst (Best?) since Marian drove our camper over it!
Now it is more of a Jeep thing!
Toyota Owner

Toyotas and Jeeps alike can continue on down the Pole Line Road. Just make sure that your Toyota can keep up with a Jeep!

Taco de Baja - 10-29-2012 at 07:22 AM

Thanks for a great trip report.

Looks like it's still a tough road, if not harder since I did it back in April (with 3 Toyotas ;) )

There is no way I'd even attempt it in a Full size Chevy....

TMW - 10-29-2012 at 11:56 AM

Love the pixs, thanks Ken. I have a 04 GMC Z71 and there are places I would not take it and the Pole Line Road is one of them. Now my 04 Tacoma is another story. Down by the water fall is where we use to ride MCs and use a cow trail up and over to another wash. But we had to carry the bikes over some rocks to get out to the main arroyo, that was 20+ years ago.

Neal Johns - 10-29-2012 at 01:37 PM

I walked over that cow trail 30+ years ago, TW. Too side hill for an FJ-40. :-(

bacquito - 10-29-2012 at 03:36 PM

WOW!!

The Toyota guy with his own special grounded gasoline container

Ken Cooke - 10-29-2012 at 06:59 PM

I told him that he was 'crazy' for carrying gasoline in that heavy, steel container. Later on, I asked him to make me one.

After making such a wrong turn, we set our sights on 'Basketball Hill'

Ken Cooke - 10-29-2012 at 07:04 PM

Crossing Cowboy Canyon

Dropping into Canon Jaquegel

Ken Cooke - 10-29-2012 at 07:08 PM

An actual Telephone Pole Isolator!

Crossing into lower Canon Jaquegel

That's all, folks!

Ken Cooke - 10-29-2012 at 07:10 PM

David K - 10-29-2012 at 10:58 PM

Great photos as always Ken...

Let me know how I can help you with that 800 pixel wide max. deal so we can see the whole thread without scrolling sideways...

Ken Cooke - 10-30-2012 at 08:01 PM

David K - Set your screen resolution to 768x1360 and your viewing will be more pleasant.

David K - 10-30-2012 at 08:12 PM

That doean't change the fact that Doug asks us who hot link photos to not distort his page wide... a lot of your pics are compliant... but just one over 800 pixels throws the whole page wide right off the screen.

Again, just wanting to assist you in the process... it can be easy, but only if you try! Thank you! You know I love the photos of a historic road from 1942/3 era.

Now, if we could find photos of the American radar station at San Felipe (Punta Diggs) in WWII... That would be awesome!

Ken Cooke - 10-30-2012 at 09:03 PM

I upload directly to Facebook. While this gives my photos a very rich quality, these photos go beyond the 800 pixel limit. May I suggest that you hold down the [ctrl -] control minus sign to reduce the size of the image. Control + to return to the default screen resolution.