BajaNomad

Unbelievable and Scary

TMW - 10-31-2012 at 10:47 AM

With the Baja 1000 coming up followed by the holiday season be carefull driving. This video is not for the faint of heart.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oFkw5JFOmHk

Ateo - 10-31-2012 at 11:04 AM

I never knew there were so many dash mounted cameras out there. That video was gnarly.

Jack Swords - 10-31-2012 at 11:14 AM

That video needs to be shown to all new drivers. Wow!

why I drive a VOLVO !!!!

captkw - 10-31-2012 at 11:17 AM

plus,, it never needs work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bajajudy - 10-31-2012 at 11:32 AM

I kept thinking that I would see body parts flying by.
WOW

vandy - 10-31-2012 at 11:40 AM

GOOD MORNING LOIS!
GOOD MORNING JIMMY!
HOW ARE YOU TODAY?!!

GOOD MORNING CLARK!
I'M FINE!
THANK YOU!

HI MR. KENT!!
I'M DOING GREAT!!!

OK, Who out there learned how to read and write from comic books?!!!!

DanO - 10-31-2012 at 11:43 AM

Years ago I was in the back set of a Blazer driven by a buddy of mine when he pulled out to pass the car in front of us (mistake #1). This was at night in the middle of winter on the highway between Twin Falls and Ketchum, Idaho, and there was plenty of black ice. Earlier, my wife had asked my buddy if he was using four wheel drive. His response? "Four wheel drive is for wimps" (mistake #2). Anyway, as we were passing the car in front of us, WHICH WAS AN IDAHO STATE TROOPER (mistake #3 - TRIFECTA!), the Blazer fishtailed and started swinging to the left. When my buddy course corrected to the right (mistake #4 - BONUS!), the Blazer got a little traction and we T-boned the State Trooper, sending both vehicles spinning off the highway into a snow-covered potato field. Fortunately, everyone was ok (although one of the two troopers in their car later made a claim for whiplash and got a quarter of a million out of my buddy's insurance company). Moral of the story -- don't pass on icy roads (and use four wheel drive).

vgabndo - 10-31-2012 at 01:15 PM

In a country with such a monstrous alcohol problem, one wonders how many of the coffin stuffers in the videos had anti-freeze in their veins?

I have 40 years experience driving in the snow. My 8000 pound truck is the only thing that makes it any safer to go out on the road with the winter-time crowds of flat-landers in their fancy 'all wheel drive' missiles. The real problem is in trying to dodge the folks who don't know how to aim their vehicles, or who pass unsafely and then become passengers in an uncontrolled sliding object. The fact that one's 50,000 dollar rolling computer will GO in bad weather, sure as crap doesn't mean it will STOP.

If you come north with limited knowledge of driving on slippery roads, please, know your limitations! We'll thank you for it.

It is sort of like not driving at night in Baja.

micah202 - 10-31-2012 at 01:38 PM

...awww mannn,,,I think I just became a more careful driver:O:

....couldn't get past halfway:barf:

Barry A. - 10-31-2012 at 02:12 PM

I have always been a "defensive driver". The single string that kept running thru my mind while watching that was, even if you are "driving slower" in most of those scenarios it would not have helped much with other driver's driving litterally out of control!

That was sobering!!!

Barry

Cypress - 10-31-2012 at 02:20 PM

Yep! A little patch of black ice will rock your world!:D

AmoPescar - 10-31-2012 at 03:18 PM

I COULDN'T FINISH WATCHING IT!

My neck and back are tensing up so badly. Can't get up from my recliner now..am calling 911 for help! help on the way........

Miguelamo :wow: :no: :o

thebajarunner - 10-31-2012 at 04:01 PM

2 minutes was all I could take

Phil S - 10-31-2012 at 06:22 PM

Good gravy!!! I spent an hour plus after looking at this video, clicking on all the other options with it. My life must "suck" !!!!! Too bad I can't understand Russian, or whatever it is (any CIA here that recognize the language??? curious. Whew. That would cure me from wanting to drive in any of the Soviet states. And I thought bumper cars were fun !!!

desertcpl - 10-31-2012 at 06:33 PM

and this was only getting out of TJ during rush hour

Lee - 10-31-2012 at 06:45 PM

The more I watched the more anxious I got. I couldn't not watch it. Then watched more as there were more options with more crashes. It was very upsetting. Wished I could have more control with my viewing pleasure. Think it was the Russian roads and Winter. Plus, Russians have to be the worst drivers. Came away think Hgwy 1 is a cake walk.

Paulina - 10-31-2012 at 07:26 PM

Now I'm afraid to open the link. Someone who's already watched it, tell me, is it about Baja or Russia? If it's Baja, I'll work up some courage. Real courage, not the liquid kind. Maybe I'll just try watching it through one eye, with the other held closed. Things aren't so scary that way.

P>*)))>{

vgabndo - 10-31-2012 at 10:59 PM

It isn't Baja Paulina, just sobering examples of what happens at the moment that the physics gets all out of whack. If you've ever been close enough to hear the SOUND made by two cars meeting with a closing speed over ~80 mph, it isn't easy to forget.

I was waiting at a crosswalk in Chicago when a failed left turner got collected , not quite head-on by an on-coming car. Spoiled my day off. Indelible sound bite! I couldn't get through the video either. Shivver.....

Skipjack Joe - 10-31-2012 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
I kept thinking that I would see body parts flying by.
WOW

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD_YPLdjytM&feature=rela...

Feathers - 11-1-2012 at 09:45 AM

OMG! :O

Wally - 11-1-2012 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
I never knew there were so many dash mounted cameras out there. That video was gnarly.

Insurance scams are big in Russia. Couldn't find the article I read a couple of weeks ago but this gives you an idea.

http://www.mandatory.com/2012/10/12/a-dash-cam-compilation-o...

another Russian accident video

durrelllrobert - 11-1-2012 at 10:29 AM

Published on Sep 23, 2012 by ChasesAndCrashes

Incredibly no one was hurt after two trucks crash into each other throwing one driver out of the frond windshield and making him the luckiest guy in Russia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDrnR2bWk4

David K - 11-1-2012 at 10:29 AM

The pedestrians who just walked in front of moving cars without looking and causing the wrecks in those shots was the most amazing thing I saw. Too bad they couldn't be brought to justice (the ones that didn't get hit)!

OMG!!

M - 11-1-2012 at 11:36 AM

The bus thumping over that one pedestrian was ALMOST my limit, but when I saw the cars engulfed in flames, it was too close to home, re-living when Grunt and I burned up together. Computer, OFF.
I think I'll walk for awhile until THOSE images are out of my head. Thanks (?) D.K, great reminder.
BIG hugs,
M

brewer - 11-1-2012 at 12:32 PM

Slow Down...Please.

Jesus Christ that was gnarley.

QUETZALCOATL - 11-1-2012 at 02:17 PM

Last week my kids were on the school bus and the bus stopped to pick up a neighbor boy. An "undocumented immigrant" from Mexico driving a work van hit and killed the little boy-in front of his mother. He was doing 60 in a 35 so as the video states-plz slow down.