BajaNomad

Whales heading south

bajalinda - 11-1-2012 at 11:49 AM

For those of you who like to keep track of them, we saw the first whales of the season heading south by our place last Friday. Also some in close to the shore Tuesday afternoon and yesterday morning for a nice whale show.

David K - 11-1-2012 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalinda
For those of you who like to keep track of them, we saw the first whales of the season heading south by our place last Friday. Also some in close to the shore Tuesday afternoon and yesterday morning for a nice whale show.

Where is "your place"?

bajalinda - 11-1-2012 at 11:53 AM

oops, sorry! We're at La Aguja.

brewer - 11-1-2012 at 12:23 PM

Where is La Aguja? ? ?Just never heard of it off the bat. I guess I could search the map.

My wife swam off La Jolla cove, San Diego, and spotted two today and two more spotted yesterday.

shari - 11-1-2012 at 12:54 PM

Hi Linda...do you think they could be humpbacks? I say that because it's much too early for gray whales to be migrating but humpbacks are often in the area this time of year.

David K - 11-1-2012 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brewer
Where is La Aguja? ? ?Just never heard of it off the bat. I guess I could search the map.

My wife swam off La Jolla cove, San Diego, and spotted two today and two more spotted yesterday.

Look on the Pacific coast, opposite of La Paz... I added a white arrow:

Baja Nomad member 'rob' is developing the area with homes... Mike Younghusband was there for a couple days on his famous walk down Baja with a burro named Don-Kay.

bajalinda - 11-1-2012 at 03:08 PM

Thanks for the map David.

Shari - you are much more the marine biologist than I am! All I can say, from my non-expert eye, is that they did look like they had that humpback hump. In any case, we begin to see whales passing by here every year in late October, so they are right on schedule.

Cypress - 11-1-2012 at 03:16 PM

They're on their way to Maui.:biggrin:

shari - 11-1-2012 at 03:25 PM

It sounds like Humbacks then...something interesting about them is that they vacation in different places kinda like we do...sometimes they go to Hawaii, or visit Mexico or Costa Rica...they dont always migrate to the same place like other whales do. Apart from the wee dorsal fin and humped back when they dive, another tell tale feature is that they have long white pectoral fins that they slap on the surface.

bajaguy - 11-1-2012 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
They're on their way to Maui.:biggrin:

Maybe their GPS is busted:?:

Cypress - 11-1-2012 at 03:38 PM

Busted GPS? No. They're on their way to where they usually go.:D