BajaNomad

Perros

greengoes - 11-2-2012 at 07:14 AM

The gift that keeps on giving

Mulegena - 11-2-2012 at 07:27 AM

A great time to mention this, with the winter folks coming south right now.

Please adopt a Mexican pooch.

Its legal to bring them back to the states when you return.
Take your new-found family member to a veterinarian
for a checkup and routine meds, its vaccines and a certificate of health.

You'll not find a finer pet than a Mexican street dog.
Loyalty and love are assured you the rest of your life.

Don't forget the Captain's Baja Perro

thebajarunner - 11-2-2012 at 07:38 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61522#pid7436...

our baja dog

John M - 11-2-2012 at 08:42 AM

Hi We adopted a Terrier pup from our local shelter, not from baja. but she sure fits in. She likes the water aand sunbathing on the beach at Pete's camp
JohnM

The BEST of Baja

MrBillM - 11-2-2012 at 09:28 AM

For us was the BEST dog we've ever had.

ALL have been great, but Red was amazing.

Born out at the dump next to Percebu, came to us starving the last week of July '97 when we were the only people at that end of camp. Having lost a wonderful dog just two months earlier, my wife was not ready for a replacement. We gave all of our Dog Food to the campo to feed him, left for home on Wednesday.

I turned around and came back on Friday to take him home. No regrets. Other than not having him longer.

BajaGeoff - 11-2-2012 at 09:38 AM

This is Mono....we brought him back from Erendira in 2009, got him updated on all of his shots and fostered him until he was adopted by a family. He is still doing great and been a wonderful addition to the family that adopted him.

Baja Purebreeds !!

captkw - 11-2-2012 at 09:51 AM

Hola, as a travel and dog guy and now with my forth baja Lil lady (dog) can say with conviction they are great dogs and seem to have more smarts and tough genes !!! as in not getting sick easy.......IMO ya cant go wrong with a baja dog if you have the time,love and persistence to raise them right and tdoes take a good year of training!! remember dogs need love and the constance of of you....and you will never be lonely..........had a double rainbow here in corralitas yesterday !!!!and with all wet could not work so I went and checked all my pics on Lil Tonya who passed two winters ago and of course still missed the baja dog..forever my avatar !!! K&T:cool:

Baja geoff. great video ad !!

captkw - 11-2-2012 at 10:14 AM

I'll be calling you soon for my inshure..great ad !!:lol:

bajafam - 11-2-2012 at 02:29 PM

Here is Calliope ~ dumped at our RV in Asuncion just this past September ~
She has become a integral part of our family over the past month. Can't imagine life without her!

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by bajafam]

"Legal to bring them back"??

thebajarunner - 11-2-2012 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
A great time to mention this, with the winter folks coming south right now.

You'll not find a finer pet than a Mexican street dog.
Loyalty and love are assured you the rest of your life.

I do think it is legal - but only with a current rabies certificate.
Am I wrong on this?
We adopted one several years ago, and tracked down a vet in San Quintin to make him legal prior to crossing the border.
Usually they do not ask at the border, but my understanding is that is the law.

QUETZALCOATL - 11-2-2012 at 02:55 PM

Kinda off topic but do you guys remember about 10 years ago when those taco stands in Tiajuana and Rosarito got busted for serving dog-carne asada tacos?

Mulegena - 11-2-2012 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

I do think it is legal - but only with a current rabies certificate.
Am I wrong on this?
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

...Its legal to bring them back to the states when you return.
...its vaccines... and a certificate of health.

We adopted one several years ago, and tracked down a vet in San Quintin to make him legal prior to crossing the border.
Usually they do not ask at the border, but my understanding is that is the law.
The vaccines will include rabies and its certificate if the dog or cat is old enough. The animal's age will will be estmated, and all treatment given will be documented in the animal's certificate of health that the Mexican veterinarian will issue. If the animal is not old enough for vaccines, that too will be noted on the accompanying certificate of health. The animal will be allowed into the US with this certification. Even without a Mexican animal health certificate there is a clause for 30-days' quarantine for animals without proper certification. If that is enforced, it can be fulfilled at the owner's home.

edited to say that in using my first post, I edited it in-quote

[Edited on 11-2-2012 by Mulegena]

David K - 11-2-2012 at 03:14 PM

Tacos el Yaqui cooks (in Rosarito) used to make barking sounds as they chopped the meat! You know, so their "perrones" were authentic!

nbacc - 11-2-2012 at 03:26 PM

Ohhhhh, I hate people who drop dogs somewhere, anywhere. I picked up one last week in Northern Cal on an out of the way road (we live out in the country). It was a puppy and was gonna be coyote bait as he was little. I now have a bad case of poison oak BUT he will hopefully get a good home. Nancy

mcfez - 11-2-2012 at 03:33 PM

As a owner of five dogs.............

All of you are super heroes!

sancho - 11-2-2012 at 04:00 PM

There is a Perro Rescue group in San Felipe
who do noble work with the street dogs,
I believe they take all dogs the Mexicali
dog catchers nab
when they come to SF,
you can get one from them also

bajajudy - 11-2-2012 at 04:27 PM

The Los Cabos Humane Society does a great job here and ALWAYS has dogs and cats for adoption. They are ready to go with shots etc.
http://loscaboshumanesociety.com/

We have 3 rescues. One came from LCHS 13 years ago, another we found on the side of the road 11 years ago and the other I fed for almost a year before I could get a collar on him so he could be neutered, that was 4 years ago.
What a great thread to help the dogs of Baja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wow::o;):):biggrin::tumble::O:wow::wow::wow:

Baja Dogs

captkw - 11-2-2012 at 05:03 PM

Hola, anyone notice the size of that paw on the first pup ?? in La paz is Baja dogs La Paz out near centenio and in los barriles is ALMA by the 2nd arroyo...calliope is a cutey !!! my self can not see someone buying a dog in the states unles your raising a specific breed !! when soo,soo many are up for adoptain...just blows my little brain away !!!! anyway (b-tch,b-tch) I have never been asked at the border but I do and recommend everyone have "papers" just in case !! most times the B.P. are falling over laughing at my dog strutting her shades !!! I have met so many baja dogs over the years and have not any that are overly aggresseve !! RESCUES ROCK !!! my 2 centavo's.......K&T:cool:

redhilltown - 11-2-2012 at 11:58 PM

Great thread and keep it up Nomads! I always take doggie treats and food when I go to Baja and like all of you, the pups there can break your heart...or cheer you up. Poor little sick thing at the Gonzaga Pemex last month...gave it water and food...ah crap, it just breaks yer heart.

Guapo da dog

EdZeranski - 11-5-2012 at 10:34 AM

Quote:

We picked up "Guapo" on the edge of the jogging track in north GR in May 2010. I do not think he would have lasted more than a few days if we had not found him. Blanca saw him just after he was found..a real mess. The vet in Loreto did the needed shots and paperwork but nobody even asked when we crossed back narth. The poor dog looked so bad the soldiers at the check points wouldn't get near him but laughed at his new name. Almost two years later he, long haired Dacshund (sp) is doing well, is quite a character, and will travel to Loret with us on Friday.

EdZ KG6UTS

bajajudy - 11-5-2012 at 11:43 AM

I forgot this group who operate in San Jose. They are also always looking for people to adopt dogs and cats.
http://bajasafe.com/

Both of these local groups in Los Cabos are always looking for people to take adopted animals to the states and Canada. So if you are interested in helping with the stray population but dont necessarily want a dog or a cat, contact one of these groups to see if you can take one back with you on the plane(all expenses would be paid for). These animals would already have homes to go to.