BajaNomad

Universal Medical Information System

Iflyfish - 11-2-2012 at 09:04 AM

As you recall I have started threads on this site about what to do in a medical emergency in Mexico. This is a major problem i.e. Stan's death in Asuncion etc. This is a very real problem.

I have come up with a solution that I would like your help with. I have proposed a solution on Quirky.com and I would appreciate your going to this site and commenting on this idea. I hope they will pick up on it and help make this happen. I see this as having a great potential for helping the 5,000,000 and growing population of Americans and Canadians who travel and live outside their country of origin.

http://www.quirky.com/ideations/333762?sc=true

Thanks amigos. I believe that your input as Xpats and travelers can help these folks understand the significance of this idea.

Iflyfish

redmesa - 11-2-2012 at 10:04 AM

I wrote a note at that site. This is a good idea but having someone near at hand who is qualified to handle a medcal emergency is my concern in baja.

Iflyfish - 11-2-2012 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
I wrote a note at that site. This is a good idea but having someone near at hand who is qualified to handle a medcal emergency is my concern in baja.

Thanks redmesa,

I appreciate your taking the time to jot a note to Quirky.com
http://www.quirky.com/ideations/333762?sc=true to support this product that I am hoping they will pick up on and develop. I can't do this on my own.

It is vital that we have people around us who can act in our behalf in an emergency. We all should have a network like this. This information i.e. medications, medical directive, power of attorney etc. needs to be in the language of the country that we are in. I want this system to be able to translate your information via update when you visit another country where another language is used.

I want this system developed so you can give your friend/s a copy of your thumb drive and they can access your information via password in case of an emergency.

I hope that by promoting this internationally that the cost could be minimal and perhaps underwritten by Insurance Companies, Hospital Groups, Department of State, NGOs etc. so that this is cheaper than dirt.

I appreciate your help with this.

Iflyfish

TacoFeliz - 11-2-2012 at 10:17 AM

First class concept. This could really do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Do you think there is a chance this could become something an existing entity like the Red Cross might want to promote or be affiliated with?

Quirky.com comment posted.

Iflyfish - 11-2-2012 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TacoFeliz
First class concept. This could really do a lot of good for a lot of people.

Do you think there is a chance this could become something an existing entity like the Red Cross might want to promote or be affiliated with?

Quirky.com comment posted.

Thanks TacoFeliz. I appreciate your going to the site and commenting. This is how I hope to get this off the ground.
http://www.quirky.com/ideations/333762?sc=true

As a Retired Social Worker I see the great need for this. I can't do this myself, it's too big. I would hope that if I can get this launched I can use profits from this to start to address the issue of Defibrillators in remote areas.

You are exactly right, this could be a wonderful device for the Red Cross, Red Crescent and any other Disaster Relief Agency.

I appreciate your help and support for this.

Iflyfish

Life-Alarm

Skipjack Joe - 11-2-2012 at 04:59 PM

Some great ideas here, Ric.

Iflyfish - 11-2-2012 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Some great ideas here, Ric.

Thanks, I have been pondering this for a long time. My idea is develop a thumb drive that each of us carries on a bracelet, necklace, key chain, zipper that has all of our medications, contact information, power of attorney etc. that is UNIVERSAL and easily identified by First Responders and medical personnel. You would simply go online, order the thumb drive, sign on to the site, upload your information, then download it back to your thumb-drive. Travel/move to another country and download this information in the language of the country that you are going to. Easy.

I would appreciate it if people would to to this site: http://www.quirky.com/ideations/333762?sc=true
and VOTE for this idea. I need to get their attention so they will help me develop this idea and get it out to the public.

Thank you very much, the need is great!

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 11-2-2012 at 08:08 PM

Great video Skip!

Iflyfish