BajaNomad

The cycle of life in the Sea of Cortez

dtbushpilot - 11-5-2012 at 08:05 PM

Found a 3' moray eel on the beach this morning that had chocked to death on a fish that had chocked to death in a gill net.

The net was caught in the eel's teeth and he couldn't swallow the fish or spit it out.
Later the circle of life continued just the way nature is designed to do.

bajadogs - 11-5-2012 at 09:51 PM

The circle of life had not taken plastic into consideration.

MikeYounghusband - 11-6-2012 at 08:13 AM

God I hate Gill Nets!!!!!!

docsmom - 11-7-2012 at 08:10 PM

Yes.
"The circle of life had not taken plastic into consideration"

Cardon Man - 11-11-2012 at 07:23 AM

Considering how many people depend on sport fishing at East Cape it's rather amazing how "they" ( local captains, citizens, authorities ) allow anyone to set a net in those waters.

unfortanely nets drift and float !!!

captkw - 11-11-2012 at 07:30 AM

Osprey - 11-11-2012 at 08:50 AM

In Palmas bay, the scene of this little crime (the fish/moray), there exist one or more permits to use certain nets for commercial purposes. We all grumble and complain about it but the permits are on file in La Paz, the netters have the law on their side -- the permits were issued as long ago as 1946. Whose gonna tell these fishermen they can't use nets?

Not many nets are left unattended -- most are circle capture nets, others are walking gill nets. Over the years I've learned they are not very effective capture systems particularly when compared to the "take em all" hookah guys and the former "pistoleros (of the night shooting sleeping fish)". At times, on our beach I have seen hundreds of baby hammerheads netted, hauled off to La Paz for very few pesos per kilo. The netters kill/sell whatever is in the area, whatever happens to swim into the nets depending on the season. It's not my Mexico, it's their Mexico.

Pescador - 11-11-2012 at 09:35 AM

Geez, Osprey, you mean they actually have the right to mess up the whole thing and don't really have to follow our way of "doing the right thing". The other day I went fishing with a friend out of San Diego. We had to wear our license in plain view so that the "enforcement officers or game wardens" could properly make sure we were legal. We were probably checked three times in all on the water and once at the landing. Wonder what that costs per hour. Then we have size slots for certain species and all of those wonderful MLA closures where the environmental wackos have managed to force closure of areas they deem sensitive. Then I was afraid to eat a couple of the fish due to warning signs about some poison that was being spread and watching for Mercury contamination. And of course we were warned not to get too close to the commercial seiners as they had a tendency to not like the private fishing guys too well. But all in all it was a beautiful day (I think) on the water and my friend could hardly understand my mumbling that I needed to get back to Mexico as quickly as possible even with all the crime and corruption. But I did my duty and said I would invite him down, but there was not much fishing left with all the seiners, pangas with nets, hookah divers and pistoleros.

But I guess there is something very satisfying and primitive about living in a small fishing village where they will either destroy the whole thing or maybe change to some other system, but it is their system and I am a willing visitor.

dtbushpilot - 11-11-2012 at 02:02 PM

I came across another unfortunate gill net related scene a while back. My esposa bonita and I were walking on the beach and decided to cool off for a bit near Rancho BV. I noticed a fish (yellowfin croaker) that seemed to be swimming slowly, twirling around as if injured or sick. Upon closer examination I found that it was actually dead and being towed by another fish. There was a strip of gill net about 4' long that the fish were caught in, I wonder how long the living fish had been pulling his buddy along behind him. I considered weather to release the living fish or make civeche for lunch:o:o:o....just kidding, he was a lucky little guy that day, not so much for his buddy.....

Cypress - 11-11-2012 at 02:08 PM

The Sea of Cortez. How 'bout the Sea of Gill Nets?:no:

bajadogs - 11-11-2012 at 06:48 PM

It's hard for any of us to comprehend a thousand years, or million years, let alone hundreds of millions of years of an evolving ocean full of life. In less that 100 years, a blink of an eye, we pretend we have not had an impact.