BajaNomad

My 1989 Baja 1000 Race

TMW - 11-7-2012 at 01:21 PM

1989 Baja 1000

This was my third 1000 race and just like the first it held many surprises and showed me I didn’t know as much as I thought I did. The race was from Ensenada to La Paz. First off none of us had ever been to Baja Sur. As it turned out it was an adventure of its own.

My friend Richard and I decided we would race just the two of us on my 1986 YZ250. Our bike number was 861, I don’t remember if that was class 38 or if SCORE had come out with class 40 yet.

With a couple of friends, Dale, Andy and Bill we headed south to prerun. Andy brought his bike along and so Richard, Andy and I pre-ran on the bikes and met up with Bill and Dale every so often to gas up. We started pre-running south of San Quintin since we were familiar with the sections north of there. We camped mostly. It was beautiful new country to us. Out of LA Bay to El Arco and out to the Hwy and down Hwy 1 to San Ignacio for the night. What a beautiful place. I was amazed looking at the mission, the first I’d ever seen in Baja.

After breakfast we head out of town toward the coast. At Luguna San Ignacio the course split into an either/or with a coastal flats section thru El Datel or an inland section by El Cuarenta. We went for the coast and I no sooner hit the mud flats when down I go. I’m off the bike spinning like a gyro. The bike also made a couple of spins. I must have traveled 50 feet. At this point I wanted nothing to do with that coastal route. I told the guys I’m going inland. We decided to all go inland and off we go.

So down the inland route we hit the first of three silt beds. Talcum power deep enough to cover a bike if you fall. The silt section were big and wide. We made it thru OK and on past San Juanico to La Purisima to meet the chase crew. After a bite to eat Andy doesn’t want to ride the next section so Richard and I take off for the Comondus and San Javier. After about 10 miles I hit a rock and my front tire is flat. I replace the tube and we’re on our way. After the Comondus another front flat. This time I patch it. We are riding motocross bikes without headlites and by now the sun is starting to go down. We opted to try for the hwy to the west instead of the race course to the south.

In the 10 years I had been going to Baja I had only learned a few words like Si, No, Margarita, Cerveza, well you get the picture. We see a farmer near his house and we try to communicate with him to get directions to the hwy. We were not very good at it as he only points across his field. So across his field we go but no road. We continue on a small trail as it gets darker until we see a light from a house. As we approach we can hear a TV is on inside. For a door there was a piece of corrugated steel roofing over the entrance. The lady inside only spoke Spanish and it was obvious she did not want us there. Soon a truck drove up, I assume it was her husband, and we try talking to him. After much hand gestures and pointing to the AAA map he gets into the truck and waves up to follow him. After a while he stops and turns around and points for us to keep going. We couldn’t see anything more than 10 feet away. So we start moving and holly cow there is the hwy just a few feet away. Onto the hwy the white stripes down the middle were good enough to follow.

We head into Insurgentes and as we travel thru the small town a couple of pickups come along side with teenagers yelling and whooping it up. I’m thinking “oh crap they are looking for trouble and they don’t like Americans down here”. We continue to hwy 1 making a left and look for our chase trucks. There they were at KM16. As we pull up so do the teenagers. I’m thinking there is going to be trouble. Not at all, they only wanted to talk about our bikes and the race. We had about an hour of friendly chat, yes they spoke enough English and Bill enough Spanish that it was a good time for All.

The next day finish pre-running into La Paz. We find a hotel and clean up for dinner. The next day we tour the city and I fell in love with it. What a great place.

Back home we prepare for the race getting the race bike ready with lights, spare parts, etc. We were doing our own pits so we needed plenty of gas and pre-mix oil. I had two YZ250s and Richard had one so we had lots of parts. We got a 30 gallon drum for gas to take along.

As the race got closer SCORE was having problems with some ranchers that the course would go over. We were told that the bikes would start on the El Alamo road not in Ensenada. I don’t remember for sure but I think the cars and trucks did a ceremonial start in Ensenada and then drove to the El Alamo start line. My son Andy and his friend Chris along with Dale are our chase crew in two trucks.

We camped near the start and it was cold. Richard would start and ride thru Mikes Sky Rancho, out to Camalu and down the coast, past San Quintin and give me the bike at KM15. Things were clicking and I get the bike and head inland. Down to the Guayaquil area and on what maybe the original dirt road to Catavina. Along the way I did pass 3 or 4 bikes. Richard got on at Catavina and it was hwy to to El Crucero then dirt to the LA Bay hwy at KM15 to give me the bike back. I got food and drink while they drove to the next change over.

It was still day light but darkness would soon be here. We installed the headlights and off I went for LA Bay. Zipping along like lightning. Soon I was in the dirt and wow the front end felt heavy. The headlight system we built was two rectangular 9 inch headlights one on top of the other in an aluminum frame. While holding it it didn’t seem heavy but on the bike and trying to maneuver in the dirt it felt like there was someone setting on the handlebars. It was a workout for sure. It was dark when I made the turn for El Arco. Up past La Cuesta de la Ley I saw headlights coming from behind. The first 4 wheeler was coming. I found a safe spot and pulled over to see Robby Gordon go past. Before El Arco I was passed by another race car.

I pitted in El Arco and just after leaving I pulled over to open my riding suit, I was hot and the sweatshirt I was wearing was wet from sweat. As I stopped a dozen Mexicans came running up wanting to help and offering we agua, cerveza, tequila. No, no, no I’m OK and off I go. Soon Bob Gordon catches me in a narrow area with an embankment on both sides. As he got closer I stop and lay the bike against the embankment. I see more lights coming so I just stayed there as Mark McMillin went by. I’m soon on the gas and flying along when BAM. I’m thrown off the bike. My right hand guard had hit a tree branch or large bush. I’m dazed for a moment but get the bike started and slowly take off. Soon I pull over to check everything out and again a dozen or so Mexicans come to help. They saw my headlight flying around when I crashed. We look everything over and I drink some water then off I go again. Out to hwy 1 at KM234 and on the hwy to San Ignacio.

At the pit we check the bike over again and change the air filter. Richard gets on and takes off. I ride in the truck as we go down hwy 1 and below Mulege we turn for La Purisima. We had figured it would be close on time for us to get there before the bike but if Richard got there early he would just wait. In La Purisima we setup the pit across from a guy who sells gas out of barrels, we call him the gasolina man. Richard is not there. Soon it is daylight and still no Richard. An ATV comes in for his pit and I ask if he has seen bike 861 and he says yes he is broke on the beach section. We unload my bike and I go to the SCORE check point and tell them what I know and ask to go in for him. SCORE says OK but be careful and pull over for any race vehicle coming.

I take a radio with me as Richard has one too. I go pass San Juanico and stop at a Kawasaki pit. He did not have any info on our bike but he did fill me up with his race gas. I go down to the coastal route and follow it back. An ATV is coming toward me and I stop him and he said no bikes on the course broke. I turn and head back. As I come into San Juanico I see Richard leaning against a fence with the bike. He tells me the silt got into the engine and blew it. When we had changed the air filter in San Ignacio the new filter had not been oiled and no one caught it, oh well, our race is over. I notice Richard is a bit tipsy. He says when he broke he was in the last silt bed. He pushed the bike thru it and out to the road jct for San Jose De Gracia. While resting a truck comes along and a man and his son offer him a ride. They put the bike in the back and he gets in setting between the two of them. They had a big jug of wine. As they drive along the jug gets passed between them. Richard is not much of a drinker but being thirsty he couldn’t refuse.

I go back to La Purisima and get my truck and soon we are all loaded and headed for La Paz. After spending the night in a hotel we decide to go to Cabo San Lucas and deep sea fish. We hire a fishing boat for a half day trip. It cost us $250 and they provide the burritos, cervezas and sodas. We didn’t catch anything but had a great time.

All in all this was a memorable race and trip. My wife and I went to La Paz for Christmas and/or New Years over the next several years. We met Padre Luis Ruggera in La Purisima and for many years we would take food, clothing, toys and medical supplies to him to give to the locals. We, including several friends, also bought him two used trucks and two Honda CT50 mini-motorcycles so he could travel to see the people in the back country. He was transferred to La Paz as he was getting up in age and he passed away maybe 6-8 years ago.

TW

BajaGeoff - 11-7-2012 at 01:46 PM

Awesome story TW!

MMc - 11-7-2012 at 02:14 PM

Thank you!! I had forgotten about the Padre, We used to do what we could for him, because of him we started helping out in the poorer orphanages.
MMc

BornFisher - 11-7-2012 at 02:37 PM

Thanks for the ride, errrrrrrrrr read. Great stuff there!

thebajarunner - 11-7-2012 at 04:39 PM

Great story TW
After our big success in 1972 I came home and typed out a 100 page memoir

No it is not for publication but I have logged many tales from the saga on this board and Bernie's
Book