BajaNomad

Captain crosses the Rainbow Bridge

bajaguy - 11-7-2012 at 06:50 PM

For those of you that followed the “Great Adventure” three years ago (May of 2009) when the three Amigos (beachbum1A, bajamigo and I) went on a road trip from Ensenada to Bahia de Los Angeles and picked up
“Captain” a male Yellow Labrador Retriever :

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38601&pag...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=39152#pid4229...

It is my sad duty to report to you that Captain crossed The Rainbow Bridge on Wednesday, November 7, 2012 in Ensenada.

As this was a heartbreaking decision for us, it was the best for Captain. His hips and spine were giving out and his daily walks were getting more painful by the day, the medication was just not working.

After he joined our family in 2009, we took him to our Vet where he was treated for mange and a chronic ear infection. The vet estimated his age at 10-14 years. His hips and spine were going out at that time however prescribed medication seemed to help.

Captain readily assimilated into our family and after a short adjustment period, our female Yellow Labrador Retriever, Libbie, embraced him as a brother. They were constant companions, swimming at the lake, chasing
golf balls at the country club and snoozing on our bed.

Captain had a life full of adventure, from being a Canadian puppy and spending time on a sailboat (hence the name Captain), to a Mexican Labrador living in/at the Bahia de Los Angeles and visiting many wonderful people for his daily snacks, and yes, pancakes with real maple syrup, to his new life as a snowbird American, living his summers in
Carson City, Nevada and his winters in Ensenada.

Captain will be cremated and buried overlooking the lakes of the Baja Country Club where we can visit him every day. Happy trails, Captain.

We will miss you.

Captain 11-09.jpg - 32kB

motoged - 11-7-2012 at 07:04 PM

BG,
So sorry for your loss. You gave him lots of love, a good home, and the best.

He is a handsome guy. :(

Paulina - 11-7-2012 at 07:09 PM

I'm very sorry.

He knew he was loved!

P>*)))>{

bajaguy - 11-7-2012 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I'm very sorry.

He knew he was loved!

P>*)))>{

Paulina............you made it all possible. Thank you for posting that he was looking for a home!!!!! Could you please let Virginia know????.........Thanks

DENNIS - 11-7-2012 at 07:26 PM

Parents shouldn't have to bury their children. I'm saddened by your loss, Terry. Just keep in mind the happiness you gave to Captain the last few years. A happiness he would never have known otherwise. You did good.

lizard lips - 11-7-2012 at 07:32 PM

He was a good boy Terry. You and Lynn made it possible for him to enjoy the rest of his life to the fullest. I know you both loved that guy.

He will be missed

wessongroup - 11-7-2012 at 07:38 PM

Sorry to hear

captain over the rainbow

captkw - 11-7-2012 at 07:43 PM

hola,damn near fell out my chair when I read the header !! so sorry for your lost...labs are such great dogs and I myself and belive all dog folks feel your loss and heavy heart and a big thanks for taking him in the first place !!! I hope more than anything that when I go.. all my dogs are over there waiting with dog hugs and kisses,,hard not get teary eyed when anyone loses a dog "'MANS BEST FRIEND" may the rest of your journey be with the smile he always put on your face..................K&T

[Edited on 11-8-2012 by captkw]

AmoPescar - 11-7-2012 at 07:55 PM

SO VERY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS!

There is nothing better in life than to have had a wonderful dog you loved, and to have received back his unconditional love and all the happiness and joy he gave you.

Miguelamo

Our Pack's Sincere Condolences

Gypsy Jan - 11-7-2012 at 08:04 PM

We have also taken these hits to the heart over the years.

Paws up to you and your family for your care and obvious love.

rhintransit - 11-7-2012 at 08:11 PM

what a wonderful life you gave him, for as long as you could.
it still hurts to lose a family member, my sympathy

bajadock - 11-7-2012 at 08:28 PM

Captain, thanks for the smile. Raising a PBR tonight for you and your family. CHEERS.

bacquito - 11-7-2012 at 08:52 PM

Dogs really have the ability to capture our heart, sorry for the loss.

Santiago - 11-7-2012 at 08:54 PM

Sorry to hear, BG. I'm the guilty party with the flap jacks and syrup.

bajaguy - 11-7-2012 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Sorry to hear, BG. I'm the guilty party with the flap jacks and syrup.

I appreciate that Santiago........and so did Captain.....When I made pancakes, he really liked the ones made with Honey-Wheat batter and waited patiently while I warmed up the (real) maple syrup :lol:

jbcoug - 11-7-2012 at 09:29 PM

It sounds like Captain was a classy fellow who shared a great amount of love. You are lucky to have shared time together. I'm sorry for your loss.

John

David K - 11-7-2012 at 10:45 PM

Sorry for your loss... our pets add so much to our lives, and it is an empty place when they go on to the other side...

DOGS

captkw - 11-7-2012 at 10:46 PM

If there are no dogs in heaven...I want to go where they went !!..........................wish I can be as good of a person that my dog thinks I am...colas feliz !!!

jeans - 11-7-2012 at 11:45 PM

So sorry to hear of your loss. The pain you feel now will be replaced in time with fond memories. Captain will always occupy a small corner of your heart.

motoged - 11-7-2012 at 11:55 PM

BG et al,
I hope this can clear up a tear or two....as the cycle of life turns:

http://www.wimp.com/puppydoorstop/

:saint:

55steve - 11-8-2012 at 08:41 AM

I enjoyed the time he spent with us during our time in BoLA.

libby - 11-8-2012 at 08:42 AM

Sorry for your loss..I know how hard this is as I just buried my best buddy Sport, in the desert behind our home in Bahia de los Angeles. I bought Virginia's house, and I will send her a note about Captain, as I wanted to tell her about my Sport too. I am certain that Captain was a very lucky pup to have to have spend his last years with you :-)

thebajarunner - 11-8-2012 at 09:02 AM

My 11 year old yellow lab sends her sympathies

Lots of love and a daily glucosamine tab keep Mali trucking on

BajaGringo - 11-8-2012 at 10:08 AM

So very, very sorry to hear Terry. Captain was lucky to have been able to pass his last year with you guys in a loving home. Happy trails Captain...

Udo - 11-9-2012 at 11:59 AM

I am feeling your loss of Captain, Terry.
I have been through the same thing with six of my past companions, and will never forget any of them.
I would like to say that it got easier after the first one, but it really did not.

PET DEATH LETTER TO GOD

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died recently.
The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.
She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to
heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so,
and she dictated these words:
Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog?
She died yesterday and is with you in heaven.
I miss her very much.
I 'm happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her.
She likes to swim and play with balls. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog.
I really miss her.
Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey & Meredith,
addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Meredith
pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would
take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon
she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later,
she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He
had.
Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch
addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.
Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet
Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:
Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I
recognized her right away. Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep
your picture in so I'm sending it back to you in this little book for you to
keep and have something to remember Abbey by. Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me.
What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I
send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find. I am wherever there is love.
Love,
God

[Edited on 11-9-2012 by Udo]

wessongroup - 11-10-2012 at 06:43 PM

DianaT - 11-10-2012 at 07:06 PM

Captain was one lucky dog to have had so much attention and love when he was left in Baja and then to get to spend his final years with a loving owner.

DEP - Captain.