BajaNomad

San Felipe to Cabo on Motorcycles

El Comadante Loco - 11-10-2012 at 09:02 AM

SAN fELLIPE TO CABO ON MOTORCYCLES

Scratch one more off the bucket list. We left my house at k43 with two trucks and two Honda XR650L dual sport bikes, on Oct 23rd. The following is a quick and dirty report.
Day 1, San Felipe to BOLA: Arrived early afternoon to make camp and dinner. Ride was great road conditions good. Paved almost to Gonzaga. Stopped to say hi to Coco he is doing well and was busy getting ready for the Baja 1000. The road from Coco’s to Hwy 1 was rough but not uncommon for Baja. For those of us who have driven the OLD road from Puertecitos to 1 this was no big deal. No problems at the military check point in Gonzaga. Trucks carried all the good stuff cots, bedding, ice cold beer and food….
Day 2, BOLA to San Lucas Cove: Camped had a few mosquitoes but bearable, another great dinner and some cerveza. Road was great with lots of improvements and getting better all the time. I think the roads are better in Baja Sur than Norte. I hate the down grade, El Infierno, into Santa Rosalia even on the MC. Lost a friend over the edge there in the early 80s. No problems with military check point south of the BOLA junction or with one just past San Ignacio
Day 3 San Lucas Cove to Loreto: Easy drive but few washouts due to Paul, not a problem. Got a room at the Desert Inn for about $50, not many visitors had the pool all to ourselves, wifi in lobby. Loreto was great as ever in fact there was a large fiesta next to the church celebrating Loreto’s 325th anniversary...
Day 4 Loreto to La Paz: Picturesque drive out of Loreto and few minor washouts south of Loreto due to Paul but nothing to get excited about , just slow down., After the washouts no road problems. Went down the middle in Consituacion and did not even see a cop. Stayed at the Oasis hotel in La Paz which was, clean, comfortable and very near to Sams Club and Wal-Mart. We took a spin to Tecolote beach for a beer. Dinner at Sam’s pizza, hotdogs and french fries, devil made us do it.
Day 5, La Paz to SJ: Took the old rd which is more scenic than the Todos Santos way. Again no road problems. MCs and trucks ran great. Checked in at Bellaire Resort, timeshare. Resort was low key not crowded. Made two trips to airport to pick up a couple guys who just could not make the drive, wimps. Settled down for the week of relaxation and fishing and a most needed rest from the bikes. All this MC riding is rough on you when you are not young anymore but we DID IT!!!!!

We spent the week in San Jose Del Cabo, fished 3 days and successfully caught plenty of Tuna and Dorados. Fished out of La Palayita with Erik. The first day we hit 16 Tuna and one Dorado within limits for 3 guys. Took a day off for R&R and fished again on Tuesday, this time it was out to the Gordo Banks to catch a “cow” (YFT). The day drifted by without a strike so around 11:30 we moved to the bajo closer to the marina. Again no action and as we were getting ready to give up Bang and all hell broke loose we were on a cow. Since none of us had ever caught a cow we tag teamed the beast and boarded it after an hour and half of pure stand up fighting and pain. It kicked the chit out of the three of us as we were sore the next day and this was only a small cow of about `150lbs but sure ate well.
Our next fishing adventure was Thursday out of Cabo with Dorado and Wahoo as the targets. We were on the road to Cabo at dark 4:30 am. It is about 30km to the marina in Cabo. About mid may the truck in front of me begins to slow down so I look to change lanes over to the left but spotted an object on the road so I stayed in my lane. I am sad to report that this was no object in the road it was the grisly remains of two guys. We could only speculate what happened there was a pick up on the right with a blown right front tire and the bus was just a head of the pickup perhaps there was a blow out they were in the back got thrown out and hit by the bus.. We all got silent and my stomach turned. I am still saddened by the death of these two souls and the pain their families must be enduring. BTW we did catch our Dorados but not the Wahoo.

We left San Jose at 7:30 am on Nov 3rd and were back in San Felipe by 6:30 pm the next day.
We decided to put the bikes in the truck since one developed a steering problem; it was not worth the risk of riding it over 900 miles back home. I was secretly glad and had seen enough on the road.
The trip back was through Todos Santos which is much faster than the scenic route even though there were a couple of washouts due to Paul. We made to Santispac around 5pm and set up camp. Dinner was quesadillas, canned clam chowder, and cerveza. Next day we were up at 5am and on the road by 6am. We did put the bikes down at Chapala to spare the truck.

This was a great trip and the company was wonderful. We will do it again but maybe without the bike since it is no longer on the bucket list… We had two special guests on the trip of the female type who had never driven down Baja, my step daughter Whitney and her friend Sharin. They were a pleasure and pulled their weight. They did elect to fly home but this was no problem for us since we needed their truck for the bikes.

Wish we would have taken photos but did not, ni modo

The next adventure will be in March or April, 2013. San Felipe to BOLA via Calamuje: BOLA to San Francisquitos over to El Arco down to 1 to Vizcaino then over to Asuncion, Bahia de las Tortugas, Malarrimo, Guerrero Negro and back to San Felipe… Any Nomads want to tag along???

El Comandante Loco

TMW - 11-10-2012 at 12:20 PM

An adventure for sure and good times for all that went. Thanks

bajadock - 11-10-2012 at 01:02 PM

Yours is much more adventurous than my CSL trip on 4 wheels.

Now that my drive south is off the list, I'll prefer to pick a spot and explore for a week. We missed a lot, having only 2 weeks to enjoy.

PHOTOS from YOURS???

motoged - 11-10-2012 at 01:24 PM

Sounds like a good ride and relax :cool:

But....ya know...."If there are no pics....it didn't happen" :biggrin:

DT Bushpilot might snag a ride with you....he is good company if he would just do more than just stand around and quit calling his sweetie every 1/2 hour...

:cool::biggrin: