BajaNomad

1 Week in Bahia Asuncion

boe4fun - 11-12-2012 at 11:04 AM

I took my "yerno" to Bahia Asuncion for a weeks stay. We crossed at Otay Mesa Saturday morning at 7AM. If you need to get an FMM get into the far right lane and turn in to the little parking lot IMMEDIATELY PAST the immigration office. The officer did all of the paperwork but the bank at Otay didn't open until 8AM - he said we could get them paid at any bank (you still must pay at the bank - the officer won't accept payment for the FMM at the Immigration Office). As we drove south we tried about nine different banks but none were open as Friday was the "Dia de los Muertos" and even the banks that were normally opened on Saturdays were closed for the three day holiday. We spent the first night at Rancho Santa Inez (clean rooms at 350 pesos for two persons). Arrived in Bahia by early Sunday afternoon and enjoyed fish and shrimp tacos at Don Ramon's. Spent the next four days showing my son in law around the area, surf fishing on the beach and went out with one of Juan Arce's capitans "Faustino" - no yellowtail that day but caught a lot of other species and Jonathan was able to snorkel with the seals near Isla Asuncion. We left for home at first light on Friday and got as far as San Quintin where I introduced him to the happy hour at the Cielito Lindo, spent the night at La Mision Santa Maria (rooms are 500 pesos plus tax for 2 persons), and made the border at Tecate by Saturday around noon. Border wait was 55 minutes including a stop in the secondary. Great trip but too short!

I forgot to add that when you drive out of the Immigration office's parking lot just go straight across to where all of the diagonal parking spaces of the secondary inspection are, no need to turn right and go into the "Declaration" parking area.

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by boe4fun]

Bajaboy - 11-12-2012 at 11:34 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Sorry we missed you....maybe next time.

Zac

Bob H - 11-12-2012 at 11:35 AM

Nice, short and sweet, trip report. And, I learned a new Spanish word "Yerno".... thanks.

shari - 11-12-2012 at 01:24 PM

it was great finally meeting your son in law...he is awesome. Here you are enjoying a pitahaya margarita by the pool! I think he's hooked on Asuncion!

David K - 11-12-2012 at 05:45 PM

Awesome!

So, what happened at the Eagle Monument? Waved through or was it closed (when)? Or did you just use the bypass?

BajaRat - 11-12-2012 at 07:34 PM

Ahhhhhhh pitahaya margarita !

woody with a view - 11-12-2012 at 07:46 PM

it must be the marg's causing the identical smiles!:lol:

boe4fun - 11-12-2012 at 07:50 PM

DK, we crossed the state line on a Sunday of a holiday weekend. Just to be safe we ........... (Shhh! I was admonished about writing about certain things). Yes BajaRat, kinda like a sherbert slushy with a kick!

BajaRat - 11-12-2012 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boe4fun
kinda like a sherbert slushy with a kick!

It has become my favorite fruit, and what a way to enjoy it !:yes: