BajaNomad

Mulege Trigger fish CHOWDER

Bruce R Leech - 10-29-2004 at 11:35 AM

Mulege Trigger fish CHOWDER WITH SAFFRON AND FINGERLING POTATOES

I have been perfecting this recipe for many years and thought I might pass it along to you .This bouillabaisse-style chowder has a delicate broth and whole fish fillets.

Ingredients

4 thick-cut slices bacon (about 1/4 pound), cut into 2-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 2 leeks)
3 8-ounce bottles clam juice
1 pound fingerling or baby Dutch yellow potatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
1/2 cup whipping cream
6 5-ounce fillets I like Trigger fish the best for this recipe
To prepare

Cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add leeks to same pot. Cover and cook until leeks are very tender, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Add clam juice, potatoes, 1/2 cup water, thyme, and saffron. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and cover. Simmer until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Stir in cream and reserved bacon. Season chowder to taste with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle cod with salt and pepper; place atop chowder. Cover and cook until cod is opaque in center, about 10 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer 1 Trigger fish fillet to each of 6 bowls. Ladle chowder over fish and.

serve with Tabasco sauce and cro?tons

Makes 6 servings.
Chef Bruce R Leech at Mulege Baja
academy DE Le Cord?n Bleu San Francisco

[Edited on 10-30-2004 by Bruce R Leech]

Yumm

Cyndarouh - 10-30-2004 at 10:22 AM

I think I will try this tonight sounds too good. Just happen to have everything needed. Thank You, Cyndarouh:tumble::yes::light:

Trigger fish in Julian?

jrbaja - 10-30-2004 at 11:47 AM

That fire really made some changes eh:lol:

Cyndarouh - 10-30-2004 at 02:36 PM

Jr, we do have friends that fish Baja. I have one of those new fangled things called a freezer. Air tight seal bags and wala. What to come up for dinner? I am also makeing a double choc. Kalua cake?:spingrin:;D:bounce::D:cool:

Ok Cindy

Keri - 10-30-2004 at 03:04 PM

I'm coming for the cake. k:lol: