BajaNomad

Any one fishing La Paz 12-23 through 12-28?

mirko - 11-23-2012 at 05:26 PM

I'll be in La Paz 12-22 through 12-29. I like to fish on a panga but do not like to fish alone. Fishing alone with a guide makes me feel elitist. I also don't like to be home when the cleaning lady is here every two weeks. Also, I don't like to pay $250 to ride a panga for 1/2 day. Anyone want to share a panga in La Paz or El Sargento? I'm easy and never get upset over losing the big fish. I have my own gear. 62 years old. Drink or not drink...either way.

250 for 1/2 day ???

captkw - 11-23-2012 at 06:52 PM

where did you get such a lousy price !! hell at those prices I'll stop fixing boats and just bring my boat back down and fish for a living !!!... OsPrey is the first custermer !! but,,really,,, would go to beach and talk to the "boys" and find the guy (guia) that you feel safe with going out and price !! BTW the winds are not usally good at that time and the fishing is bleak till you get down past cabo pulmo !! K&T:cool: making bait...hee,,hee....LOL !!!:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 11-24-2012 by captkw]

mirko - 11-23-2012 at 06:59 PM

That's pretty much what you pay going through the fishing outfits in town. Divided by 2 it's 125, which isn't bad. I know some pangueros as well. I want to specifically go out of Bahia de los Muertos which is somewhat sheltered from winter winds. It's still touch and go as to whether I'll be fishing or not because of the winds. I know species are usually limited. Sierra, roosters and maybe cabrilla or snappers if you're lucky. Fishing has been freaky in La Paz with species showing up at unlikely times. I still enjoy sunrise on the sea of Cortez.

Osprey - 11-23-2012 at 07:04 PM

Cap, you wouldn't have a chance for me to be a charter customer unless and until you EVER get a permit/license to do that down here and that ain't never gonna happen.

You come down here and I see one dollar in your kick from a gringo gomer in your boat and I will introduce you to the Fonmar folks and you will not do that again. How can you be stuck on the stupid idea that Mexico and those around you would now, at this late date, allow you to operate illegally? Give it up. You may have been Baja's gringo fish cat burglar for a lot of years but you've willingly exposed yourself in braggadocio so now we got the big bright light on you and your crimes.

You don't need a license to give bad fishing advice so ------ carry on with that.

woody with a view - 11-23-2012 at 07:26 PM

:wow: Sr Gavilon has spoken! :!: don't know what brought this on but it sounds like a good old beat down.....:light:

Hook - 11-23-2012 at 07:43 PM

No worries, Osprey. At this point, cappy would use you for BAIT on his first charter.

"Client...........what, client??"

dtbushpilot - 11-23-2012 at 07:45 PM

Quote:

You don't need a license to give bad fishing advice so ------ carry on with that.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Hit the nail on the head with that one Jorge:lol::lol:

LOL,,LOL... HOOKSET !!!

captkw - 11-23-2012 at 09:15 PM

.:lol::lol: Osprey !! you didnt even nibble !! you ate the hook and half the leader !!! and If I wanted A permisso I assure you I can get it..rather easy for me .... I'M a guy that has have lived next to the head of aduana and his brother is a jefe in immigration in la paz would set me up in a heart beat if I so desired..being I have been taking them and their kids out for years and they always look forward to my xmas fish dishes. (muy sabor)...anyway..thanks for the compliment !! Now,,I'm A fish burgler !! LOL..:lol::lol::lol::lol:...K&T:cool: PS is marys schoeyer son (ken) still the head of API anyone ?.. commiton ?

Mirko and big fish

captkw - 11-23-2012 at 09:53 PM

Hola,,the further south ,,the better !! bahia de Los suenos (bay of dreams) is what they are now calling that area ! I read (your post ) and you said from La paz ..you might check out la ventana or el sergento for a boat !! lots further south like say los barralies or los frallies would be a hot ticket at that time of year..."tight lines"....the "fish burgler" K&T:cool: thanks,,,,,, Osprey ..I have not laughed this hard in a while !!! PS..before you shoot your mouth off,(again),, I would at least at the min. Get A clue on who the hell your talking to...hint,,hint....Got to go back to work (7/11)..K&T:cool:

FISHING.

Norm - 11-24-2012 at 06:23 AM

Give Jonathan /Jilly-Roland a call at Tailhunter International a call , they have class act & can help you with anything you may need + they have a nice bar & grill on the water in lap-az. There is a nice web sit also.

Have a good time & good fishing !!!!

gnukid - 11-24-2012 at 09:44 AM

Be aware that boating can very dangerous this time of year, the north winds come sweeping across calm waters at 20-30knots most days of the week, so at best one can fish from 5am to 10am and then head home. For this reason as well, one should expect pangeros often unwilling to head far from muertos, no bait, lower prices and low catch. Typical prices are closer to $100 for a couple of hours keeping in mind your not heading to ocho-ocho.

Yesterday, two pangeros were lost at sea off el sargento but were rescued by gringos and returned safely.

http://colectivopericu.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/a-salvo-pesc...

mirko - 11-24-2012 at 11:12 AM

Yep,

I'm always amazed that fishermen in that area don't carry at least a hand held radio or even a walkie talkie. They fish so close to each other that a short range radio would do. This is common for the pangueros in Loreto but La Paz is still in the dark ages in that regard. It's a tough, dangerous job. Go with someone responsible and tip good!

I usually fish with someone like Jonathan or David Jones. I know they are just a go-between and I know and have phone numbers for a couple of pangueros as well. I prefer the convinience of going with David or Jonathan, especially this time since I won't have a car. Getting to Muertos is so easy. Go to the VW dealership outside of town, hang a left and keep on going until you hit the water. Easy. Well, there is one more place where you have to turn left at the Suenos sign.

I know fishing is not as good in the winter, but it's the time I go there. I always enjoy time in those clear waters, fish or no fish. :biggrin:

gnukid - 11-24-2012 at 11:26 AM

I'm not pro, just a casual fisherman but I fish the area often. At that time of year, the best catch is often Sierra at dawn and that's it-over and done by 9am. Of course there are good rare days, you might like to head up to the point off of Punta Gorda by Las Cruces. Either way it seems the launch fromla Ventana / El Sargento early is good or of course Muertos is a place you can hide from the wind there. But no one is going far. Well, I'll guess you'll find out. Just be careful and be aware the fishing window is usually very short in the morning and the costs should reflect that. I don't know anyone who is paying $250 for a 4 hours of fishing in panga in December except with your pals. More like $80-100. $250 is for a full day of long distance fishing in a cruiser for two.