BajaNomad

New Baja dog. Warning, graphic photos! Updated photo today..

dtbushpilot - 11-24-2012 at 10:58 PM

We always assumed we would be adopted by a Baja dog. We intended to try to get one to adopt us when we finished our new house as our small condo is barely big enough for our current crop of animals.

About 6 months ago I noticed a dog following the neighborhood herd of cows that would come by the construction site every afternoon. She was young, probably 6 months old and not full grown. She was a handsome dog with a classic "Baja look" about her. She had a short piece of yellow nylon rope tied tightly around her neck. It looked to be pretty uncomfortable so I tried to catch her to remove it with no luck. The neighbors all tried to lure her close enough to get it off also but she wouldn't let anybody touch her.

We saw her from time to time, as she grew the rope got tighter but still no luck in catching her. She wasn't particularly afraid of people, she just wouldn't let anybody touch her. She would walk through the construction site picking up chicken bones and scraps left by the workers but never within reach.

We hadn't seen her in a while, about 2 weeks ago we happened to be at the job site when the cows came through. The dog looked really bad, she was skinny and looked sick. Upon a closer look I could see that the rope had cut through her skin and had turned into a hideous looking infected mess. It was dripping some nasty looking fluid and had flies crawling around it. I knew she couldn't live much longer like that.

Jill and I decided that we had to try to catch her but how? We borrowed a large pet carrier form the ALMA people in Los Barriles and put it near where a neighbor had been putting food out for her. We threw in some chunks of hot dog hoping that she would get accustomed to going in the cage to eat. We did that for a couple of days and went looking for her one afternoon. As luck would have it we spotted her in the aroyo about 1/4 mile from the trap. Jill got off the quad with a couple of hot dogs to try to get her to follow her to the trap. It took a while but she was able to get the dog to follow her. She sat down on the ground next to the cage and started tossing in pieces of hot dog. The dog was pretty spooky but little by little she reached further into the cage for the food. When she got both front feet in the cage Jill gave her a shove and closed the door.

I went home, got the car and went back to load the cage. It was Sunday evening around 6:00 and I figured it would be hard to find a vet. We went to the animal hospital in Las Quevas and were lucky to fine Gretel still there. She looked at the wound and decided that she would need a couple of days on antibiotics before surgery.

She took a few pictures for us before, during and after the surgery:

We picked her up on Tuesday and brought her home. We knew we would be in for a challenge, she was basically a wild dog and we would need to gain her trust to be able to care for her and for her injury. When we got her home we let her out to explore her new home.

After settling in she let us touch her a bit and seemed to have a sweet disposition. When we put a harness on her she wasn't too happy about it but eventually laid down on a blanket with Jill and they did a little bonding.

It was a challenge getting her to walk on a leash but she caught on pretty quick and she was always happy to get out of the house.

We have been letting her off the leash to run on the beach and play with the other Baja dogs. She is proving to be a fine dog, very sweet and smart. She catches on to new things quickly and seems to be considering adopting us.....we can only hope.......dt

[Edited on 11-26-2012 by dtbushpilot]

motoged - 11-24-2012 at 11:20 PM

You are a good man, David.:saint:

You and Jill needed a bigger dog.

A name yet?

dtbushpilot - 11-24-2012 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
You are a good man, David.:saint:

You and Jill needed a bigger dog.

A name yet?

Salchicha...."chicha" for short

mulegemichael - 11-24-2012 at 11:30 PM

what does peanut think about all this crap?....and why are jill and the new dog sleeping on tile?...to make a new dog feel really really good about their environment they must be in your personal bed...nasty neck and all...buck up, sailor!..we're on our way down this week now that our casa is once more liveable.

YOUR HERO'S !!!

captkw - 11-24-2012 at 11:59 PM

Could only handle 1 pic !! thats rude on any animal !! makes a man look at other humans in desgust !! And a big Hand shake to a MAN of your charictor & the Miss's ...its always been A kirk with me seeing a dog tied up with a rope and left alone !! THANK YOU !!.........K & T.....Ps, check out YouTubes animalAdvocates society BC or US

[Edited on 11-25-2012 by captkw]

Marc - 11-25-2012 at 06:02 AM

A happy ending:yes::yes::yes:

David K - 11-25-2012 at 06:58 AM

You are great people indeed!:bounce:

akbear - 11-25-2012 at 07:12 AM

Jill & Dave, I saw the 4 of you walking on the beach yesterday afternoon. You all got a Thanksgiving gift !
GREAT JOB ! !

Whew!!

fixtrauma - 11-25-2012 at 08:11 AM

I am soooo glad you have that dog and more so that she has you!!

DianaT - 11-25-2012 at 08:23 AM

Oh my, after seeing what that poor pup had been through, that picture of Jill on the floor bonding with Chicha brought tears to my eyes.

What a lucky dog. :yes:

windgrrl - 11-25-2012 at 08:32 AM

Nice work you two. Amazing work on that wound. Beautiful dog. Beautiful people.

woody with a view - 11-25-2012 at 08:43 AM

good job!

LancairDriver - 11-25-2012 at 08:44 AM

Good for you and Jill,DT. I wish all the Baja dogs could have friends like you.

vandenberg - 11-25-2012 at 09:50 AM

Heart warming story indeed. Kudos to you guys and what a lucky dog.

Ateo - 11-25-2012 at 09:54 AM

What an uplifting post!!!

Pacifico - 11-25-2012 at 09:56 AM

Good for you guys DT and Jill! I love to see stories like this! That pup will love you guys! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

shari - 11-25-2012 at 09:58 AM

lucky lucky Chicha...I wish you'd adopt me too! You guys rock!

thefishaholic - 11-25-2012 at 10:05 AM

What an uplifting story!

A gazillion Karma points to you.

bajajudy - 11-25-2012 at 10:09 AM

You guys did a great job!
We have a dog with a similar scar on her leg from being tied to her sister by the back legs....the sister died but Eta survived....boy, did she!
Enjoy your new friend:D

Mexitron - 11-25-2012 at 10:12 AM

Awesome! Cool looking pooch.

willyAirstream - 11-25-2012 at 11:12 AM

What a great save! It`s a wonderful thing you did for the pooch. Joy.

woody with a view - 11-25-2012 at 11:40 AM

i'm still hoping a cool Baja dog will find me one day!

wessongroup - 11-25-2012 at 12:24 PM

Thanks much, put a smile on my face --- outstanding :):)

vgabndo - 11-25-2012 at 12:56 PM

THANK YOU, that is by far the best thing that has happened to me yet today.

Bubba - 11-25-2012 at 02:01 PM

What a great story, Thank you!

Marla Daily - 11-25-2012 at 03:32 PM

Your unconditional love towards this starved and suffering dog knows no bounds. Thank you for the priceless lesson you are showing to all Baja Nomads!

mulegemichael - 11-25-2012 at 04:45 PM

i still wanna know how peanut feels about all this???

dtbushpilot - 11-25-2012 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
i still wanna know how peanut feels about all this???

Cacahuate isn't too happy about it. Chicha is coming out of her shell and can be quite exuberant at times. She "bum rushes" Cacahuate and tramples her. Cacahuate is developing eyes in the back of her head.

The cats regard her with casual disinterest unless she starts getting personal with them, that usually gets her a growl and swat on the nose.

All in all she is fitting in pretty well. She is already house broken and learning to fetch the Frisbee. She is absolutely crazy about Jill and somewhat tolerant of me.

dtbushpilot - 11-25-2012 at 06:40 PM

What a differance a little love and some regular meals make. We have had her home for only 12 days.......

12 days ago:

Today:

Udo - 11-25-2012 at 06:49 PM

Happy for your rescue, David.
Heart-warming photo of Jill and the dog on the floor.:bounce::spingrin:

BajaBlanca - 11-25-2012 at 07:02 PM

she does look so much better... what a great story!

LOOKING GOOD !!

captkw - 11-25-2012 at 07:17 PM

Amazing what love and care can do in the world !!! you can do no wrong in my book now !! and she's got two fr. white boots !! K&T

DianaT - 11-25-2012 at 07:22 PM

OMG --- that does not look at all like the same dog! It is not just the added weight, but that stance that is so alert and confident in comparison to looking so pathetic. Only the stitches in her neck say it is the same dog!

Sounds like she has definitely adopted you and your family. Fantastic.

bajadogs - 11-25-2012 at 07:26 PM

Good job.

M - 11-26-2012 at 11:35 AM

That was the coolest thing you two did. Thanks for sharing, I needed a good happy tearjerker...
Hugs,
M

capn.sharky - 11-26-2012 at 01:15 PM

You guys are just great. You saved a dogs life---what a wonderful thing to do.

cliffh - 11-26-2012 at 03:37 PM

Great story, see you at the Ranch Cliff

docsmom - 11-29-2012 at 08:34 PM

Sweet baby girl. She's so lucky to have found you, good job. And I'll bet over the next years you'll find you're even more lucky than her. Lots of love!