BajaNomad

Flying Guerrero Negro to Cedros to Ensenada

BajaBlanca - 11-25-2012 at 12:55 AM

I flew into Ensenada yesterday and it was wonderful and horrendous at the same time. The flight left G negro right on time at 9 a.m. Beautiful flight and here are some pics of that part.

The salt from G Negro is taken to Isla Cedros which has a better loading capacity. I was told the salt company is a joint venture and that the salt is sent to Japan.

The island is exquisitely beautiful - I only got to see a very small part that is near the airport. Why did I have any time at all? Hmmmm the very plane that brought us, left me on Cedros to go BACK to G Negro and bring another chartered group .... we are talking a 2 hour - totally unexpected - layover.

Cedros in view:

very interesting landscape:

gorgeous coastline:

the airport:

a local Catholic church, take a guess as to what the cube is:

the local seguro for this part of Cedros (the salt company):

the salt company:

Oneof the things that most impressed me of this part of the island is that there was not one piece of trash anywhere.

The flight continued onto Ensenada smoothly. Here is a picture of Baja. You can't really tell, but there was a house down there. Talk about remote !

San Quintin land:

flying into Ensenada - one lands at the military base. Luggage is reinspected (it was inspected before we left G Negro). If you need a taxi, there is a counter with 3 clocks behind it - they call up for you.

The pilot's name is Enrique - the last time I took this flight, he was the pilot too. On this last leg of the trip, I sat next to him up front. VERY fun. Can I become a pilot now ?

I hate to say this but my crazy trip went on to get crazier .. I took a cab from airport to bus depot. Bought a ticket to TJ's main bus terminal since I wanted to bus into downtown San Diego. Bought my ticket at main terminal, turns out it is greyhound that does this. Got on bus and spent TWO FULL HOURS sitting at the border crossing. Went across and we were told to wait to the left. We waited and the bus never came. 6:45 bus, nada, 7:45 bus eventually came and took us downtown. We heard that our other bus had been turned around and not allowed in. who knows. There is a grayhound counter but they had no idea what was going on and just told us to wait, on the sidewalk, til a bus came.

FYI there was a guy 2 people in front of us as we walked thru immmigration-I am not sure why but the guy (about 28) had no documents on him. no driver's license. nothing at all. It took him a lot of saliva, calmness and smiles, but he was let in the country. Howz that for incredible?

I am going to see my brand new first ever granddaughter and she is worth this whole ordeal. I could have driven but thought this would be better.

:lol:

[Edited on 11-25-2012 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 11-25-2012 by BajaNomad]

David K - 11-25-2012 at 07:24 AM

Thank you Blanca! Enjoy the time with your granddaughter!

woody with a view - 11-25-2012 at 08:46 AM

i'm thinking that cube was the inspiration for mr rubic?:lol:

Natalie Ann - 11-25-2012 at 09:10 AM

Congratulations on the new granddaughter, Blanca.
I feel certain you'll have joyous times with her.

nena

vandenberg - 11-25-2012 at 09:34 AM

Blanca,
Congrats with your new addition to the family. Enjoy her!!
Great trip report. Another addition to your traveling experiences you can look back upon. Traveling and new experiences never get old.:yes::yes:

shari - 11-25-2012 at 09:53 AM

it would be cool to be laid over on Cedros for awhile...how much was the ticket Blanca? I'd love to fly up to see Izaak! Maybe we can go together one day?

Family Guy - 11-25-2012 at 10:00 AM

Learn something new everyday. I never knew this option existed. Nice pics!

Ateo - 11-25-2012 at 10:05 AM

Very cool trip -- sorry for the delays though. I love aerial photos so if you get more let us see them!!!

BTW: I know a 3 time felon who has been deported to Mexico 3 times who walked into immigration saying he was partying on Revolucion and lost his wallet/passport. After about 10 minutes the agent just waved him thru. A year later he committed another crime, served 2 years in prison and was deported again. That's my depressing story of the day.............

wessongroup - 11-25-2012 at 10:09 AM

Thanks much, don't get to see it that way to often :):)

Pacifico - 11-25-2012 at 10:24 AM

I flew with the same company to Cedros from Ensenada in October. Pretty cool outfit....

Congrats on your new grand daughter Blanca!

Bob and Susan - 11-25-2012 at 10:50 AM

so what was the price?

what was the price for the taxi to ensenada bus station?

what was the price for the bus to tj?

i recently took the train from the border
cheap but it took a long time to get north

that company flys from palo verde to guyamas then to guerrero negro

willardguy - 11-25-2012 at 12:50 PM

are there any gringos living out on cedros or was maggie baldwin the last one?:?:

Pacifico - 11-25-2012 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
are there any gringos living out on cedros or was maggie baldwin the last one?:?:

I didn't see any other gringos......but, there could be a few in the mix!

BajaBlanca - 11-25-2012 at 06:55 PM

thanks everyone !

Ok prices:

1700 pesos each way on the flight G NEGRO CEDROS ENSENADA
the cab from airport to ensenada bus terminal 130 pesos
the bus from ensenada to TJ - I'm sorry, no me recuerdo

bus fromTJ to downtown san diego - $16.50 dollars. Even if you pay in pesos, they return change in dollars, very funny

our flight was booked solid on both legs of the trip.
the taxi from the airport came in exactly 10 min, as yellowcab had promised
the bus ensenada to tj MAIN TERMINAL had 5 people on it
the bus from tj to san diego had 7 people on it and the connection took far too long. Next time I might just do the trolley or make sure soomeone can pick me up at the border. I was calm and rested so in the end it was a good trip.