BajaNomad

Swimbaits

mojo_norte - 11-25-2012 at 03:44 PM

About 3 years ago I got some swimbaits online from www.transpeninsularoutfitters.com that worked really well at BOLA. They don't seem to sell tackle anymore. Any suggestions on what (size/colors) and where to get them online?

woody with a view - 11-25-2012 at 04:02 PM

fishermans factory outlet, squidco, etc.... i don't think colors are too important to the fish all of the time. it seems like the action and presentation are just as important. get which colors look best to you and you'll soon have a favorite!:lol:

Russ - 11-25-2012 at 04:14 PM

Surf fishing, inshore trolling & casting or off shore for the biggies ?
I've only done well with hard swim baits with some pink or red on the belly I like the pretty one and have a ton of them to show for my impulse buying of pretty.:rolleyes:
Soft swim baits are chomped by trigger fish and come back with no tails:no:
I like the Gulp if there aren't a lot of triggers in white. Also have a few buckets of them:yawn:

Pacifico - 11-25-2012 at 04:31 PM

Try here: http://saltwatertackle.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SW&am...

Get any that look like a baitfish and you'll get bit!

I also like te Storm line of soft baits. I think they still come in a yellow package....
One time we were out fishing and decided to drift and eat lunch. We threw out a Storm lure ( like a 5" sardine looking bait) and just left it out of gear with the clicker on. It wasn't a couple minutes later that rod went off and we had a nice YT on....then a huge boil erupted around the boat and we hung a couple more! Needless to say, they look pretty realistic in the water....

[Edited on 11-25-2012 by Pacifico]

mojo_norte - 11-25-2012 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Surf fishing, inshore trolling & casting or off shore for the biggies ?
I've only done well with hard swim baits with some pink or red on the belly I like the pretty one and have a ton of them to show for my impulse buying of pretty.:rolleyes:
Soft swim baits are chomped by trigger fish and come back with no tails:no:
I like the Gulp if there aren't a lot of triggers in white. Also have a few buckets of them:yawn:

Spin casting soft swim baits off the Kayak. Catching some sort of Sea bass? - dark green on top light green lower with a spiny dorsal fin 8-14" good fighters - lots of fun - catch / release

Pacifico - 11-25-2012 at 04:47 PM

Try Storm Wildeye live sardine......

I can't get the link to work.

mojo_norte - 11-25-2012 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico

http://www.cabelas.com/rigged-plastic-swimbaits-storm-wildey...

Thanks! - I'll let you know

Russ - 11-25-2012 at 05:29 PM

So you're fishing the Pacific side?
Yo-Zuri® Deep Diver™ Crystal Minnow™
This is what I use in the Kayak & tin boat. Google it and look for the best price. Should be $10 to $12. I also like a Carolina rig with bait.

mojo_norte - 11-25-2012 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
So you're fishing the Pacific side?
Yo-Zuri® Deep Diver™ Crystal Minnow™
This is what I use in the Kayak & tin boat. Google it and look for the best price. Should be $10 to $12. I also like a Carolina rig with bait.

Thanks - I'll check it out..
I've been avoiding the west coast in my old age having spent many weeks in my formative years on the leeward side of my truck freezing in a 4/3 wetsuit at various 'secret' windy spots ;D

dtbushpilot - 11-26-2012 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico

I've tried the sardine and the anchovy. I had better luck with the anchovy for calicos in the kelp. I think I caught 2 for every 1 Juan caught on scampys. The tail on the sardine is pretty fragile and gets bit off easy. These lures work pretty good but when they get damaged you have to tie on a new one rather than just threading a new body on the jig head with a swim bait. I have about a thousand of each just to be sure I've got it covered.

On the topic of color: Last time we fished Asuncion kelp with Juan he was catching 4 to 1 more than me with a red and glitter scampi no matter what I used. For some reason they wanted red...

Down here in the east cape fishing for rooster fish from the beach is my passion. I've tried every lure there is with limited success. I saw the Storm "mullet" lure....I just knew it was the answer to my prayers. For those of you who do not know, mullet are "rooster candy". They spend their life stalking mullet in the shallows of east cape beaches. I just knew that I had stumbled onto the "holy grail" of artificial bait for rooster fish. I bought a dozen or so ( can't be too prepared) and set out to slay the roosters. I can still hear the laughter from the roosterfish....they actually laughed out loud....they would have pointed and laughed if they had fingers......anybody want to buy a few Storm mullet lures.....cheap?....

[Edited on 11-27-2012 by dtbushpilot]

willardguy - 11-26-2012 at 06:28 PM

JMO, spend a little extra dough and buy big hammers, not to be confused with woody's love hammers!
;)

Skipjack Joe - 11-27-2012 at 12:16 AM

Willard's right. 8" hammers work well on the cortez side. I believe the glitter inside makes a big difference. They sparkle like fish scales, a turn-on for predators.

They say a scampi should be bounced and to watch out during the drop. My experience with hammers is that a slow steady retrieve works best. It should be just fast enough to get good tail movement.

Color is important.

mojo_norte - 11-27-2012 at 07:38 AM

Quote:

Color is important.

so many fun colors! Atomic Punk ?

http://www.sunrizetackle.com/shop/hammer.htm

freediverbrian - 11-29-2012 at 08:19 PM

I buy big bags of swim baits at the Fred hall show cheap, soak them in gulp sauce
They work great even with the tails gone they still catch trigers and bay bass