BajaNomad

Travel to San Diego for "The Old Missions of Baja and Alta California" presentation at Discover Baja

Ken Cooke - 12-2-2012 at 12:15 AM

This was my first visit at the Governor Street location of Discover Baja. I have known Hugh and Carol since first beginning my Baja adventures in 1998 or 1999. Right around this time, I first logged onto "Amigos de Baja" where I learned what existed beyond Ensenada, Mexico. Today, I met with some of those pre-Nomad 'Amigos' at the Baja Missions presentation in San Diego, CA.

I spoke with Baja Guerra and David K about those earlier days, and here are my photos from, "The Old Missions of Baja" presentation at Discover Baja!

Driving down I-15 (with ear plugs to drown out the road noise)

My passenger enjoying the drive and not feeling bothered by engine noise, concrete road noise, worn Mud-Terrain tire noise, Jeep wind buffeting, or the radio.

Discover Baja is located near some prime eateries. Here is my meal that I ate before the event started.

Lots of great people attended today's "The Old Missions..." presentation. That is Jose "Baja Cat" on the right, David K (center), and my wife Leidys on the left.

I snuck in for a shot with David K and Baja Cat.

The Square Circle also dropped in for a visit. Here he is talking Expedition vehicles with some Baja experts.

Can you say, "Baja Ready"???:yes:

This was a very successful day with an extraordinary turnout!

David K signing my copy of "The Old Missions..." Thank you, David!

Co-Author Max Kurillo presenting along with David K

Some images from the presentation

Baja Cat taking in the large amount of information during the slide presentation.

David K speaking about his favorite topic - BAJA!

After the presentation, I took a photo with Max Kurillo.

David K looking at "The Old Missions..." book with Michelle and Leidys

After the event, I decided to go look for some of "The Old Missions of Baja and Alta California." Yes, I'll admit that I have been inspired! Thanks for a great day!

Ken Cooke - 12-2-2012 at 12:29 AM

The "Resource Library" at Discover Baja - This is only a small portion of where answers to your questions probably come from...

The new author of the annual Baja Calendars - Jim Hendricks. Jim took this over from Marv Sherrill who had been the founder and publisher of this great series for so many years. That's "Baja Jim" answering some questions at his own special section of the Discover Baja "convention" that accommodated so many people today.

Jim's Calendars have been selling very well and thanks to a quality product, he should have many more successes in this great series.

BajaNomad was at the event!:bounce:

David K has brought so many people together through the years - let's hope he keeps doing what he did today.

David K - 12-2-2012 at 10:38 AM

Thanks Ken... that was great... The photo above includes 'fernweh' (Karl) who owns the Mercedes 4WD and off roaded with Squarecircle, TW and Bajatripper .

Discover Baja Fiesta 12-1-12

David K - 12-2-2012 at 11:08 AM

Here are some photos from my camera...

Jim Hendricks(standing) and Jim Cline(seated) of The Baja Calendar.

BAJA CAT (José)

Co-Author Max Kurillo running the Power Point

The recently exposed mission ruins at Guadalupe (del Norte).

The Squarecircle (Roy) in his Land Rover

BajaNomad (Doug) 'the creator'
;)

Carol Kramer co-owner of Discover Baja Travel Club

Jim and Doug's lady, Michelle chatting.

A car that doubles as a boat might be a handy Baja vehicle!

Yes, those are propellers!

I had a nice visit with Eve Ewing, who is a long time Baja explorer, often on a mule! She was also part of the production of the film Corazon Vaquero.

David K - 12-3-2012 at 10:01 AM

I have an article written by Eve in 1965 describing the mule trip from Tecate to Cabo San Lucas... I will post in the Baja Articles forum... HERE is the 1965 article by Eve: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64257

[Edited on 12-3-2012 by David K]

shari - 12-3-2012 at 11:48 AM

nice to see some of our old amigos at the party...glad it was a success!

David K - 12-3-2012 at 07:57 PM

Thanks... yes it was a good turnout with Baja Nomads and Discover Baja members, too! We missed 'Udo' and 'M', however.., but meeting 'fernweh' was a nice surprise!

dtbushpilot - 12-3-2012 at 08:03 PM

Good job DK, sorry I missed it. One of the few times I wished I was in the states instead of Baja.....but I'm over it now...

David K - 12-3-2012 at 09:03 PM

Thanks David... very kind! Stop by and pick up a copy at Baja Books and Maps in San Jose del Cabo or at Discover Baja in San Diego!

Bob H - 12-3-2012 at 10:47 PM

Great photos of the event. Looks like everyone was having a great time!

Jack Swords - 12-4-2012 at 08:07 AM

Missed it David! The drive up from La Paz would have been a bit too much (85 degree day temps, 65 degree night). Looks like great fun.

David K - 12-4-2012 at 08:11 AM

No worries Jack... hope you have your copy in the glove box!

Nomads: many of the photos in the book are taken by Jack!

Udo - 12-4-2012 at 08:29 AM

Hola Ken & DK!
Mil gracias for the excellent photos of Discover Baja and all that attended.
Jana and I had been to the office several times and wished we could have gone.

I had to work Saturday & Sunday and part of Monday to help a friend in remodeling his restaurant as well as revamping his menu and teaching his Mexican chefs how to cook middle-eastern food.
The place was purchased about 8 months ago and it was then called "NANA'S PLACE". It really looked like a US grandmother was running the place. It had no feel, or menu, of what Iran is all about. The owner tried to cook the proper food but was not getting any return clients.

I still wish I could have been at the DB.
Missed you all!

David K - 12-4-2012 at 08:36 AM

Sounds like you need a a TV show like Gordon Ramsey? So its a Persian Food place?

Udo - 12-4-2012 at 08:50 AM

The is a small PERSIAN restaurant about two blocks away, so we stayed away from mentioning anything about PERSIAN influence. Besides, Persia has not existed for many years.
The restaurant's name has no hint of the type of food inside. The owner really wanted to showcase his "SISHKABOBS", which are delicious, but were too much work due to his insistence of cooking them in the small kitchen on a table-top BBQ. There is a large outdoor patio and part of the outdoor decor is to place tall outdoor "Bistro" table and chairs, (two and four chairs), then added a medium sized BBQ on wheels to the side of the bistro (no city permit or code violations). The BBQ action will bring in drive-by patrons since the restaurant sits on a busy corner with stop signs, no traffic lights.

jeans - 12-4-2012 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Here are some photos from my camera...

A car that doubles as a boat might be a handy Baja vehicle!
Yes, but is it 4-wheel drive? :bounce:

Marc - 12-5-2012 at 11:02 PM

Baja Cat owes me a beer (I think?)

BAJACAT - 12-5-2012 at 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Refresh my memory Marc..I probably do owe you one... i think

Marc - 12-6-2012 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:

An old post. I will try to find it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::?:

Marc - 12-6-2012 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:

LET'S ALL POST A PICTURE OF OURSELVES!
Page 7
Make it a Tecate

BAJACAT - 12-6-2012 at 11:08 AM

Me and my big mouth,offer stands like I said back then this offer has no expiration date.(Not bad weight in @ 240 lbs, most of it I gain in all the Baja trips..hahaha Marc remined me to buy you a Pacifico or any beer of your choice if one day our paths cross each other in Baja. this offer has no expiration date... )...thanks for bringing this up.Im in National city CA, a few miles from TJ,any time you go by here on your way to BAJA stop by and a I will buy you that TECATE that I owe you..