BajaNomad

Adios "Take 5"

DavidE - 12-5-2012 at 05:14 PM

RIP Dave Brubeck

Used to listen to him on 4-track tape while traveling down the "new" transpeninsular highway.

willardguy - 12-5-2012 at 05:21 PM

earl "madman" muntz would be proud!

CP - 12-5-2012 at 08:44 PM

I never would've thought that the Dave Brubeck part of our life would've crossed paths with the Baja one. Yet, well, here we are.
Thank you for the notice of his passing.

Martyman - 12-5-2012 at 08:51 PM

ba dot n doob e do dot do by ya

DavidE - 12-6-2012 at 11:06 AM

Herbie Mann, At The Village Gate, as well. The old SJB 4-track player didn't do so hot running over potholes. Tried a Lear Jet 8-track and it was worse.

"Mas Juvenil!"
"Mas Tropical!"
"Radio Guaymas!"

Fading in and out. Static. Crackling noises from lightning on the mainland side. My how time has passed.

Basin Street West San Francisco. Count Basie, Brubeck, all for a cover charge and a couple of drinks.

vandenberg - 12-6-2012 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

Basin Street West San Francisco. Count Basie, Brubeck, all for a cover charge and a couple of drinks.

And Carol Doda and Yvonne d'Anger just down the street.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lee - 12-6-2012 at 12:35 PM

Purple Onion, Hungry I, Mort Sahl, Lenny Bruce, the Limelighters, the Kingston Trio, Cal Tjader, Oscar Peterson, George Shearing, Cannonball Adderly. Brubeck.

North Beach was happening.

At 12, Time Out was a spiritual awakening.

toneart - 12-6-2012 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Purple Onion, Hungry I, Mort Sahl, Lenny Bruce, the Limelighters, the Kingston Trio, Cal Tjader, Oscar Peterson, George Shearing, Cannonball Adderly. Brubeck.

North Beach was happening.

At 12, Time Out was a spiritual awakening.

I was there through all of it. And now, sadly, another great has passed. Brubeck shared lots of the Baja highway with me too.

A fellow Nomad who passed earlier this year was Bajajazz; Ray Simpson. He and I exchanged lots of emails on jazz and San Francisco. Here is a quote from me which was in the announcement of Ray's passing:
"I am so sad to hear this. Ray and I had many good exchanges here and also by email. He and I crossed paths throughout our lives and yet, never had met.

As his Nomad name suggests, he was a jazz lover and he knew his stuff. Unaware of one another at the time, we both were in attendance at some of the same notable performances in our California youth. He also knew lots of Bay Area lore and it's characters."

And now, Dave Brubeck. Take Five with strings? Wow! Well they say Heaven is a very hip place.
:saint:

Vaya con Dios, Dave and Ray. When my time comes I want to be on that bus. :cool:

vgabndo - 12-6-2012 at 02:04 PM

The Fox and the Hound, I could get in under-aged.:lol::lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc34Uj8wlmE

Blue Rondo al al turk... I just learned that Turkish 9/8 time can be expressed:

taco taco taco burrito
taco taco taco burrito
taco taco taco burrito
burrito burrito burrito

Trippy! RIP

[Edited on 12-6-2012 by vgabndo]

Leo - 12-6-2012 at 04:01 PM

Saw and heard him play life only once in Victoria BC but have his LP's since a teenager. There is not a day that goes by without hearing him on KPLU or my laptop.

DavidE - 12-6-2012 at 04:52 PM

There was a fellow living in a house adjacent to the hotel el morro in Sta Rosalia by the name of Roger who was a huge fan of jazz. A friend and I passed a pleasant summer afternoon there sitting out on the veranda sipping cold Pacifico's listening to his extensive LP collection.

Marinero - 12-7-2012 at 11:07 AM

I had the honor to meet Dave and talk to him at length. What a fine person he was. We will all miss the man, but will always have his music.

durrelllrobert - 12-7-2012 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
earl "madman" muntz would be proud!

Here's someone that still has an operating 1948 Muntz TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiqJ3tvp3I

..and here's someone still dring a 1951 Muntz Jet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v66CEZ5gaQc

[Edited on 12-7-2012 by durrelllrobert]

bajadock - 12-7-2012 at 06:55 PM

D.E.P. Dave Brubeck. I am lucky to get the KKJZ 88.1 FM signal 160 miles away in Long Beach most days.

[Edited on 12-8-2012 by bajadock]

DENNIS - 12-7-2012 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
D.E.P. Dave Brubeck. I am lucky to get the KKJZ 88.1 FM signal 160 miles away in Long Beach most days.

That's because you live up in the clouds, Doc. You and the other Cloud People. :lol:

bajadock - 12-7-2012 at 07:05 PM

Hey, the "Cloud Crowd" is just opening first Pacifico. Cheers Vecino. And thanks for the lights to guide my path home last night.