BajaNomad

Cedros Island - Isla Cedros

BajaBlanca - 12-9-2012 at 09:02 PM

Dec. 7, 2012 Our flight left Ensenada 3 hours late.... when we landed on Isla Cedros, I was the only one continuing onto Guerrero Negro. The pilot Jorge, nicknamed"El Capi" looked at me and said: there are no lights on the runway at g negro. we shall have to spend the night here. Poor Les was waiting for me in G Negro already and he had to RETURN - at night - to La Bocana as we were expecting 4 guests that evening.

The airline put El Capi and I up at ZanMar Hotel and paid for our delicious dinner too. Here are the photos:

My room:

This is a pic of the church I can see from the varanda off the room, that night:

and the same church the next morning:

I took a walk down some narrow alleyways and found the church:

a really pretty porch:

more photos tomorrow.

[Edited on 12-10-2012 by BajaBlanca]

redmesa - 12-9-2012 at 09:13 PM

You are getting to really know cedros.

[Edited on 12-10-2012 by redmesa]

BajaBlanca - 12-9-2012 at 09:23 PM

Here is some info about the island:

there are currently 3,000 inhabitants
there used to be 7,000 - those people worked at a cannery. the workers went on strike and the company went belly up.

there is no bakery.

the restaurant we ate it was just down the street1.5 blocks from the hotel. It had an amazing array of foods. I ate shrimp with garlic. Truly tasty. The lobster costs a whopping 400 pesos ! Boy oh boy are we spoiled here in La Bocana - even at our great local eatery, Joaquins's, lobster costs 150 to 200 pesos.

the part of town near the airport is where the Japanese-Mexican salt exporting company lies. There is not one speck of trash to be seen. ANYWHERE. Not true, unfortunately, in the regular part of Cedros.

The water on the island is plentiful and comes from the mountains.

I got this information from Patty, the airline employee.

I loved the forced vacation! Took this pic from the little varanda off room 4.

BAJACAT - 12-9-2012 at 09:31 PM

blanca como te paseas!

BajaBlanca - 12-10-2012 at 08:49 AM

:lol:

tienes razon ....me encanta mi vida ! PURA VIDA !

y ustedes van junto conmigo everywhere :biggrin:

in English : Jose says I get around. I agree and admit that I am loving life and that you all get to travel right along with me: biggrin:

bacquito - 12-10-2012 at 10:56 AM

Great report, thanks. I hope to visit Cedros one of these days

shari - 12-10-2012 at 08:05 PM

gracias blanca...chale...I hope I get stranded on Cedros one day...how much was the flight from Ensenada to GN?

BAJACAT - 12-10-2012 at 09:22 PM

YOU do get around Blanca,but in a good way.thanks for the trip report.so you where there for bussines or pleassure...

redmesa - 12-10-2012 at 10:22 PM

http://www.asg.com.mx/index.php

This is a good looking site. I hope they are successful. A scheduled flight from G.N. to Ensenada is great news.

BajaBlanca - 12-11-2012 at 08:52 AM

Just remember to gie yourself plenty of leeway time-wise. The trip to Ensenada on wed's and fri's has a 2 hour layover in cedros with NO taxi service. Maybe talk to Patty(the office worker who is at the airport when flights come in or leave) and Antonio (loads and unloads baggage) - offer them a propina to take you around like they did me.

the flight costs 1700 from g negro to ensenda. you arrive so rested and it is beautiful - as you can see from the photos.

the plane holds 14 people. the limit is 15 kilos allowable per person. Youcan take more, but you pay and I did not get the cost as I was way under weight.

BajaBlanca - 1-21-2013 at 01:58 PM

Ensenada to GNegro is 1700 pesos.

gnukid - 1-21-2013 at 06:01 PM

likely story...

BajaBlanca - 1-22-2013 at 02:51 AM

:?:

luv2fish - 1-22-2013 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
likely story...

I second that Blanca :?::?: