BajaNomad

Reading water

Iflyfish - 12-10-2012 at 10:29 PM

On another thread the writer talked about looking for a "hole" while shore fishing. I know little of shore fishing and don't have a clue about how to read the surf to look for likely places for fish to hang out. Show me a lake, show me a stream and I am dialed in.....but surf fishing....fish of another species.

Anyone have a link to a video of how to read the surf for likely fishing "holes"?

Thanks,

Iflyfish

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2012 at 10:42 PM

I'm like you Iflyfish. I can often find the holes but most don't have fish. So I guess I can't tell a good one from a bad one.

Sometimes if you come down at low tide you can find the holes that will be at high tide. At other times if I'm not sure about a hole I just wade and see if the slope gets steeper. Of course, I may also be scaring the fish.

willardguy - 12-10-2012 at 11:21 PM

this is right coast stuff but still applies.

http://www.oysterbaytackle.com/index.php/drifting-easy/76-ho...

Iflyfish - 12-11-2012 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
this is right coast stuff but still applies.

http://www.oysterbaytackle.com/index.php/drifting-easy/76-ho...

Good one! Thanks for the link. Keep your tips up amigos.

Iflyfish

Frank - 12-11-2012 at 07:41 AM

I look for waves that take a little longer to break or stop breaking as it reaches the shore. This is a sign of a cut or a hole. A dark spot is another good sign. If you can find a hole near a bed of sand crabs, I'd say you have reached your destination.

If you stand still and watch as a wave washes up the beach you will probably see a slider. A slider is a Corbina sliding up with the flood to feed on the sand crab bed and then sliding back to his hole. Polarized sunglasses, 6-8# test, a small mosquito style hook on a 1/4 once Carolina rig, and a pocket full of sand crabs and it's on. If you can find a sand crab in its soft shell transition, it's called a jelly doughnut. No one can resist a jelly doughnut, not even a Corbina.

baitcast - 12-11-2012 at 10:50 AM

That link is very good and does apply to the Calif.and Baja west side, but not the east side so much,waves/no waves except way south.

I fished the Cal. coast for many years and loved it until I found out there was a place called Baja,the only place gringo,s fished was Loreto and they flew in,fishing the beach can be very rewarding both in terms of the fishing,the noise of the surf,sand between the toes and just looking!

There you are first time checking out this beach it all looks the same,where to start and what lives here I can catch?

You always want to take a walk,see anything that looks different,say its low tide,there some funny looking holes out there and there,s a ditch running parallel to the beach,there different mark it on the the beach with a stick up high enough so that when the tide comes in it will still be there.

Generally speaking incoming,high and out going are the best BUT not always:lol: outgoing tide at the mouth of estro,s is not to be missed.

Read the link and file away it will work on the west but the other side is a different world both in species and the lack of surf again except in the south end,never been a fan of tossing bait,always needed to be throwing something it was the same in sweet water.

First throw away that club and work the beach for miles if need be don,t stick to one spot and wait for them to find you,use light line 4# to 10# max. and if your using something other than bait try a K/M 1/4# to 3/4# green/chrome or blue/chrome on the west side for everything with the exception of corbina,do not worry about distance they are very close you just don,t see them,this works on the westside.

Different fish different water,warm sandy water between the toes can,t be beat,as in the west the Kastmaster will get the job done ,poppers and spooks also work,jerkbaits of all kinds to,again use as light of rig as your comfortable with and keep moving and casting,go find them most fish on both sides are schooling types,move and fan cast 9 oclock 10 12 1 2 3 and so on now move again and so on.

Starting to ramble so will sign off,the sand is hard ro beat!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob
Remember lighter lines and smaller lures work best in the surf and just get bit more often!

[Edited on 12-11-2012 by baitcast]

redink - 12-11-2012 at 02:53 PM

I don't k now that my 10# test is going to hold up to a 3/4# lure..:tumble:

I got the jist of it and thanks for the info. I am curently heading south on I-5 near Williams, my gf is driving, and by Friday we should be pulling into Asuncion!!!

baitcast - 12-11-2012 at 03:01 PM

:lol: It won,t but some won,t use 10# no matter what and some think 15# is light.
Rob

jbcoug - 12-11-2012 at 04:00 PM

I think it was the three quarter pound lure he was concerned about.

John

Hook - 12-11-2012 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
I look for waves that take a little longer to break or stop breaking as it reaches the shore. This is a sign of a cut or a hole. A dark spot is another good sign. If you can find a hole near a bed of sand crabs, I'd say you have reached your destination.

If you stand still and watch as a wave washes up the beach you will probably see a slider. A slider is a Corbina sliding up with the flood to feed on the sand crab bed and then sliding back to his hole. Polarized sunglasses, 6-8# test, a small mosquito style hook on a 1/4 once Carolina rig, and a pocket full of sand crabs and it's on. If you can find a sand crab in its soft shell transition, it's called a jelly doughnut. No one can resist a jelly doughnut, not even a Corbina.

Are you using a Carolina keeper?

I've gone to the barrel swivel with the sliding sinker above that, instead, even for surf fishing. The Carolina keeper seems to cause twist in the line.

willardguy - 12-11-2012 at 04:57 PM

not to mention picks up every little piece of salad!

baitcast - 12-11-2012 at 05:33 PM

:lol: Redink does have a pointe there,3/4 0f a pound would be a bit heavy:lol:
Rob