BajaNomad

Beachin in BOLA...a mini vacation

shari - 12-12-2012 at 06:30 PM

Juan & had had a 5 day stretch with no reservations so we decided to head to BOLA to visit relatives and hang at the beach. We lucked out with the weather and it was glorious...just perfect! First we headed to La Gringa for some snorkeling in the crystal clear water that was a tad cooler than in Asuncion.

We stayed at Casa Diaz in a 250 peso room...they are indeed a bit frayed but the bed was lovely and the view spectacular. Here is the view from our room at sunrise...it was nice to photograph the sunrise from a new location.

We spent this day at El Rincon...this was the first place Juan & I camped as a couple so it was neat to hang there again 10 years later.

then more relative visits, dinner at Las Hamacas which was lovely and back for sunset...

We were sad to see BOLA sooooo empty...the beaches, streets and businesses were deserted...I hope things pick up for them.

[Edited on 12-13-2012 by shari]

[Edited on 12-13-2012 by shari]

woody with a view - 12-12-2012 at 06:46 PM

love it!

RenoJoe - 12-12-2012 at 06:50 PM

I remember same rooms for 150 pesos including breakfast and dinner. A clipboard in the store for listing what you took so you could pay before you left. That was the honor program. Those were fun days.

David K - 12-12-2012 at 07:04 PM

Thanks Shari, quite beautiful!

We stayed at Casa Diaz in summer, 1967... everyone slept outside on cots (too warm inside)... all the stars overhead... and a few bats that I accidentely attracted with my flash light! LOL Most customers flew in, but we and another family drove the distance!

Paulina - 12-12-2012 at 07:55 PM

Shari,

Thank you for your report. I was told that Bahia was pretty busy for the race. I'm sure it will pick up again come Christmas/New Years, specially with the New Years dance on again at Casa Diaz after a few years off.

We'll be there. Wouldn't miss it.

P>*)))>{

MMc - 12-12-2012 at 08:32 PM

Sheri, Thank you!
The photos are killer, took me a moment to figure the neg. image. We love BOLA, even when we had "our vacation in hell" there.
Now it's a night stop on the run down.
Hope it picks up for the town.

Marc - 12-13-2012 at 08:07 AM

Great photos. I was there in October. Not much going on, although Del Sol looked fairly busy one night.

shari - 12-13-2012 at 10:17 AM

Paulina...whenever I step onto that big patio, I think of your photos of the New Year's Dance...I get a kind of a ghosty dancey feeling...it's freaky! It really would be the perfect place to celebrate the New Year! Enjoy and take more photos!

jbcoug - 12-13-2012 at 04:04 PM

Shari,

Thanks for sharing your pictures, loved them. Glad you two had a great mini-vacation!

John

[Edited on 12-13-2012 by jbcoug]

Alm - 12-25-2012 at 08:57 PM

When I stopped by the Diaz motel in mid-December 2010, around noon, I didn't see anybody on the beach. If there were any occupants, there couldn't be too many. Camps to the North were 50% full at best. And in winter 2006 I overheard the store clerk in one of two Mercados complaining to her friend on very slow business. There have always been very few transient gringos in BOLA, both before they paved the 40 miles road to town, and after. Too far from the border or major airports. Cottage gringos don't create a heck of a demand for local businesses either. Very quiet place.

acadist - 12-25-2012 at 10:08 PM

Looks great. What a life, Have to leave that terrible place you live to get a vacation, ENJOY;D

Iflyfish - 12-26-2012 at 11:50 AM

Wow, beautiful photos. Never tire of seeing the wonders of Baja. Thanks.

Iflyfish