BajaNomad

Broken down in Ensenada

BigWooo - 12-13-2012 at 10:00 AM

Does anyone in the Ensenada area know of a good radiator shop, or mechanic that has the ability to pressure test a radiator system.

I have an 08 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax Diesel

I had the turbo replaced by the dealer in the U.S. but they assembled something wrong in the radiator hoses when they put it back together, and I have a leak I can't find.

I'm going to head over to the Chevy dealer by the harbor to see if they can check it, but I'd like to have a backup plan in case they can't.

Thanks...

bajaguy - 12-13-2012 at 10:06 AM

There is a radiator shop on reforma around 6th street. I don't know the exact address. How long will you be at the GM dealer????....go next door to the Cafe orleans. jerry has Wi-fi

BigWooo - 12-13-2012 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
There is a radiator shop on reforma around 6th street. I don't know the exact address. How long will you be at the GM dealer????....go next door to the Cafe orleans. jerry has Wi-fi

Right now were at Estero Beach. We're heading over there in about 15-20 minutes. Thanks for the other option. I'll look it up on Google Earth.

BigWooo - 12-13-2012 at 10:49 AM

Change of plans. We're going to try Radiadores el Provenir first. Sounds like they may have what we need.

No Woo

bajaguy - 12-13-2012 at 02:21 PM

Was in town, stopped by the GM dealer three times....9:45, 10:15 and 11:00.

No Big Woo....in fact no medium or small Woos for that matter.....not a Woo to be found.

Radiator shop on Reforma (Hwy 1) is on the east side, just north (2 or 3 stores) of Calle de las Aguilas and across from a PEMEX.

PS: The Ensenada GM dealership DOES NOT have a diesel mechanic on board.

[Edited on 12-13-2012 by bajaguy]

DENNIS - 12-13-2012 at 02:44 PM

Quote:

No Big Woo....in fact no medium or small Woos for that matter.....not a Woo to be found.

Radiator shop on Reforma (Hwy 1) is on the east side, just north (2 or 3 stores) of Calle de las Aguilas and across from a PEMEX.

Maybe you missed this above:

"Change of plans. We're going to try Radiadores el Provenir first. Sounds like they may have what we need."

bajaguy - 12-13-2012 at 02:48 PM

Yeah, I was driving around Ensenada in the rain.......

J.P. - 12-13-2012 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Maybe you missed this above:

"Change of plans. We're going to try Radiadores el Provenir first. Sounds like they may have what we need."

If that dont work you might try the Kenworth place on Reforma KW/ Peter Built/ owned by Paccar which is General Motors.

DENNIS - 12-13-2012 at 03:51 PM

There must be a lot of good diesel mechanics in Ensenada what with all the fishing boats and freight movers.

BigWooo - 12-13-2012 at 07:17 PM

Darn, sorry we missed you Bajaguy! I'm so sorry that you missed our second message.

We were at Provenir all day long. Just got back to Estero. They were great! Had to tear the whole thing apart. Apparently Chevy dealer in U.S. used the wrong "O" rings.

Depending on the rain, we may be on our way back South tomorrow.

OK,,gotta ask ??

captkw - 12-13-2012 at 07:37 PM

Whats a wooo ??? and dont tell me chinese... I know two wongs dont make a right !!

durrelllrobert - 12-13-2012 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Whats a wooo ??? and dont tell me chinese... I know two wongs dont make a right !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYsDn0hpjLw

OR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBlbWglWorE

He also posted this on another thread yesterday

durrelllrobert - 12-13-2012 at 08:38 PM

Need Radiator repair or Auto Repair Co info

Broken down outside of Ensenada about 15 miles. Need a radiator repair or auto repair company name and number that can help me.

bajaguy - 12-13-2012 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
Darn, sorry we missed you Bajaguy! I'm so sorry that you missed our second message.

We were at Provenir all day long. Just got back to Estero. They were great! Had to tear the whole thing apart. Apparently Chevy dealer in U.S. used the wrong "O" rings.

Depending on the rain, we may be on our way back South tomorrow.

I'm headed to Home Depot tomorrow morning. Shoot me an e-mail and maybe we can grab some coffee before you head out

BigWooo - 12-14-2012 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Need Radiator repair or Auto Repair Co info

Broken down outside of Ensenada about 15 miles. Need a radiator repair or auto repair company name and number that can help me.

We originally broke down between Valle Guadalupe and Ensenada at Km 85. Lost all the coolant. I had a friend in the U.S. log on with my username and post to see if we could find any help. I was in contact with them by sat phone. Fortunately a nice gentleman stopped and asked if we needed help. He went back to Valle Guadalupe and brougnt a mechanic and his big Ford. They towed us back and patched it up good enough to make it to Ensenada/Estero Beach.

Then we went to Radiadores Provenir in Ensenada. I can't say enough good about Radiadores Provenir. He found a mistake the Chevy dealer made and hopefully the repair will hold. When I get home I'll post a link and directions on how to get to the shop, by then I'll have several hundered miles on the repair and I'll know if they really are good mechanics.

Bajaguy....I'm checking road conditions right now. If it looks good I'm heading shouth very soon (6:00 a.m.). If we decide to wait one more day to leave, I'll shoot you an email in a bit and see if we can meet up.

[Edited on 12-14-2012 by BigWooo]

Hook - 12-14-2012 at 07:17 AM

Were the leaking O-rings in the turbo? Where were they?

BigWooo - 12-14-2012 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Were the leaking O-rings in the turbo? Where were they?

No, there's an O-ring and plastic spacer that seal the radiator line where it connects to the bottom of the radiator. It's not an old fashion radiator hose anymore. It appears that the O-ring was the wrong one, so the connection wasn't secure.

What a day. We left this morning heading South. I stopped to check for leaks several kilometers outside Maneadero. This time one of the trans cooler lines that they had to remove was leaking. Geez....headed back to Estero, unhooked the trailer and back to the shop. He fixed it pretty quickly ( was not tightened securely) so we were able to get back on the road and at least to San Quintin. So far no leaks. I think it's margarita time!

I think next time (if ever) that I go to a dealer I'm going to go to a good mechanic and have him look over the dealer work!

By the way the road wasn't affected at all by the rain and there's snow on the mountains behind Vicente Guererro. Looks pretty cool, and Estero Beach is pretty nice. The restaurant was good. Camping is a bit pricey though

woody with a view - 12-14-2012 at 06:31 PM

dealer=stealer. they ALWAYS cost more and you don't always get what you think you are paying for. Glad to hear you are rolling south!

vacaenbaja - 12-14-2012 at 06:56 PM

If you google it up you will find that you are not alone with having leaks in those areas.

LOL..very Well Said Woody !!! Big sign streetside

captkw - 12-14-2012 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
dealer=stealer. they ALWAYS cost more and you don't always get what you think you are paying for. Glad to hear you are rolling south!

BajaBlanca - 12-15-2012 at 08:24 AM

and we are here in Ensenada right now, headed to TJ to see dentist and eye doctors !

Have a good rest of the trip bigwooooooo

oladulce - 12-17-2012 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

I hear ya woody. The Turbo was covered by warranty so we went to a Chevy dealer. The dealer said because they had to remove the entire cab to remove the engine to get to the turbo, it would have been a $6500 job!

Plus, although it's only 4 years old, the truck has been sitting outside in the BCS air and the mechanic said they had to use "special protocol" to disengage the turbo from the rust so it would have cost even more. Of course, Bigwooo never mentions to the dealer that the truck has been South of the Border for fear they'll balk on the warranty. We use our South Dakota address and he told the dealer repair guys that the rust must be from the salt on the SD roads (although we have no idea if they use salt on the roads back there...)

It was a long return trip but at least we weren't stranded by the roadside in the desert in a large crew cab towing a travel trailer.
sheeew, it's nice to be back.

Recommended mechanics are:
Valle de Guadelupe- between TKT and Ensenada not far from Domeque (sp) vineyards, "El Chino" autoparts and repairs.

Ensenada- "Radiadores El Porvenir " on Calle Aldama, near big KFC at Jalisco and Reforma. 2 thumbs up! 646 176 3311. Don't use the map on Porvenir's FB page- we discovered after touring Ensenada in the rain that that map is not correct.

FYI- While stranded by the roadside, I recalled we might have roadside assistance thru our Bajabound HDI seguros insurance. It required several phone calls and a long time on the satellite phone while they gathered information but that policy does have towing coverage so folks with that policy might want to keep that in mind. The rep was preparing to call a tow truck from Ensenada to pick us up but luckily El Chino pulled up at the same time and we hooked up a chain and we limped back to his shop towing our truck and trailer and he was able to stop the leak enough so we could get to Ensenada.

We saw the new road signs on the highway to call 074 for emergency and service and I tried the number a few times but got a busy signal...

woody with a view - 12-17-2012 at 11:16 AM

so it was covered under warranty? SWEET!

truck body/cab remove !!

captkw - 12-17-2012 at 11:35 AM

the later yrs you have to remove the complete cab/bed as a unit to access the motor and other parts...they dont tell you when you by it...you have to find out the Hard way...they look and drive nice !! they put the motor on the frame then the cab/bed on....not good when you cant access on a motor...