BajaNomad

Road conditions to Mulege/Loreto

Keri - 12-15-2012 at 08:48 AM

Friends leaving from Ensenada this morning. Hows the road down. Anything they need to know,k

mulegemichael - 12-15-2012 at 08:59 AM

in some of the best shape i've ever seen in 35 years....lots of fog in the morning past el rosario..lots of brand new stretches too.

Howard - 12-15-2012 at 10:05 AM

Drove Loreto to Tecate around Turkey day and I agree, it was in the best shape I can remember.

Fragility of Highway 1

Marla Daily - 12-15-2012 at 11:25 AM

Just drove Wednesday/Thursday from Carpinteria to Loreto. We're happy to report that we WERE NOT STOPPED in Tecate for the first time in many transits! A small miracle.

About 20 miles north of Catavina the highway was closed for many hours due to road collapse on a tight curve for a big rig towing a wide load with a giant excavator aboard. Lucky for us we were able to take a 4WD ranch road around the closure. Big rigs weren't so lucky. They had to wait it out. When we left, three large tow trucks were trying their best to keep the excavator from going over. Don't know the outcome.

This brings up a point on the fragility of Highway 1 south of the border. In November the road was closed a few miles north of Santa Rosalia on the steep grade due to a propane truck that went over and burned, killing the driver. A two+ hour wait for the road to reopen. Doesn't take much to close the road.

We always carry 10 gallon of extra gas on the cab of the truck. On Thursday the electricity was out at the gas station at San Ignacio. They couldn't pump gas! We were lucky and were able to keep going.

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by Marla Daily]