BajaNomad

Underwater Volcano between Cabo and Mazatlan!

David K - 12-15-2012 at 08:49 AM

Go check out Baja Gringo's forum (TalkBaja.com) and read the two posts with links about the discovery of an active volcano over 7,000 feet below the water: http://talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=6907

Very cool!:cool:

Thanks DK !!

captkw - 12-15-2012 at 08:53 AM

I was wondering what those bubbles were out there !!!:P...PS..I'll being driving past Mbari in about 20 minutes or so...small world !!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by captkw]

durrelllrobert - 12-15-2012 at 09:13 AM

Wow, only 60 miles from Cabo. Think I'll buy some property there so I can have a front row seat when it blows. :spingrin:

bacquito - 12-15-2012 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Wow, only 60 miles from Cabo. Think I'll buy some property there so I can have a front row seat when it blows. :spingrin:

If I had some property in Cabo I think I would offer you a chance to buy it:lol:

bacquito - 12-15-2012 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Go check out Baja Gringo's forum (TalkBaja.com) and read the two posts with links about the discovery of an active volcano over 7,000 feet below the water: http://talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=6907

Very cool!:cool:

Your right DK, very cool:light:

David K - 12-15-2012 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I was wondering what those bubbles were out there !!!:P...PS..I'll being driving past Mbari in about 20 minutes or so...small world !!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 12-15-2012 by captkw]

Where is Mbari?

Mbari

captkw - 12-15-2012 at 10:02 AM

Smack dap in the middle of monterey bay .right on the coast (shoreline) at a place called moss landing..or halfway between santa cruz and monterey......K&T

David K - 12-15-2012 at 10:11 AM

Okay... I like that area, sand dunes, etc. Thanks!

Barry A. - 12-15-2012 at 10:23 AM

All I can say is "WOW". As a Geographer I find this "find" somewhat alarming---------our dynamic Earth, for sure (as I look out my window at Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta) I know how BajaGringo west of San Quintin must feel.

barry

Marc - 12-15-2012 at 02:25 PM

Could cause a really big wave someday.:o:o:o

Osprey - 12-15-2012 at 02:58 PM

We've been having 6s just north of and close to La Paz lately and as far as I know, not a ripple. 7200 feet is pretty deep and it's my belief that the great pressure at that depth makes what happens when a rift rises or falls a very different thing than one in close/shallow water.

Geo_Skip - 12-15-2012 at 04:22 PM

Osprey is on the right track. The pressure at the depth of the spreading center may mitigate and "Eruption"...

The fact that this particular molten magma seems to be highly evolved (ie high silica rather than silica depleted basaltic magma... implies that an island may be more likely to be formed.)...The situation is geochemically rare and needs careful study.

Remember, we are talking about sea floor conditions thousands of feet deep, very high pressure and low temperature conditions. This is NOT a Mount Saint Helens situation!

So relax, have another cold one and some yellowtail sashime and life will be good!

DENNIS - 12-15-2012 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
If I had some property in Cabo I think I would offer you a chance to buy it:lol:

Do what the Mexicans do.......sell him some anyway.

Barry A. - 12-15-2012 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geo_Skip
Osprey is on the right track. The pressure at the depth of the spreading center may mitigate and "Eruption"...

The fact that this particular molten magma seems to be highly evolved (ie high silica rather than silica depleted basaltic magma... implies that an island may be more likely to be formed.)...The situation is geochemically rare and needs careful study.

Remember, we are talking about sea floor conditions thousands of feet deep, very high pressure and low temperature conditions. This is NOT a Mount Saint Helens situation!

So relax, have another cold one and some yellowtail sashime and life will be good!

When can we expect the new island to surface?-----that would be REALLY cool!!! Skeeter could plant rattlesnakes and mesquite on it. (just kidding Skeet if you are watching)

Barry

bkbend - 12-19-2012 at 10:30 AM

So, it's 165 ft. tall now and 7,800 ft. below the surface. I am not a geologist but would hazard a guess that one would have to wait for quite some time to see a good show.

willardguy - 12-19-2012 at 11:01 AM

id like to see whats swimming around this "high spot". the way down is this penn 32/0 spooled up with 2 miles of 130#.

Osprey - 12-19-2012 at 11:34 AM

Looks like my bait trolling outfit. I only put a mile on mine cause the mono stretch is not to be believed.

DavidE - 12-19-2012 at 03:55 PM

I like to remember Las Tres Virgenes is dormant not extinct. Look at lava flows and bombs located many miles distant from the mountains. Geologists have written papers suggesting the gulf slip/strike fault has caused several earthquakes in the range of 8.8 Richter. The innumerable hot springs are a tattletale that the area is quite active. The gulf fault is the Eastern boundary for the Pacific Rim of Fire.

Udo - 12-19-2012 at 04:25 PM

That undersea volcano sure would make one helluva surfing wave!