BajaNomad

Mayan Calendar - UCSB Professor explains

Curt63 - 12-18-2012 at 10:44 AM

Yes, you will have to get up and work on Dec 22. But if you really believe it still, you can sign any assets you want over to me!

UCSB Professor explains Mayan Calendar

willardguy - 12-18-2012 at 10:58 AM

still....any excuse for a party!:tumble:

Osprey - 12-18-2012 at 11:06 AM

I'm impressed with the prof's lighthearted explanation of the incongruity of trying to tie the Maya calendar to the one we use today.

Not impressed that he used the word Mayan. Professional students of the culture would only use that word to describe the language. I will bring you back as many times as it takes for you to see that "it is Apache art, not Apachean art". Maya is singular and plural, does not open itself to adjectives.

In English it is the "Maya Riviera" no matter who owns it, how many swimming pools it has.

Honest Injun ?

MrBillM - 12-18-2012 at 03:11 PM

The Apaches were Mayan ?

Or Not ?

IF the media ALL say Mayan could they be wrong ?

I mean, when's the last time those guys (and Gals) were in error ?

On the Linguistic front, should we refer to Maya/Mayan literature to determine the preferred description ?

Got that Maya (or Mayan)-English dictionary handy ?

OK, so that's probably a scarce item.

Anybody tried EBay ?

They've got EVERYTHING.

Granted, it would be from China or Korea.

Speaking of which, is Korean wrong, too ?

It's important to get this right and avoid censure from the Maya-American Anti-Defamation Protective League.

Osprey - 12-18-2012 at 05:52 PM

Mr. B. you might want to ask Mcfez about his grandmother's Irishean lace. That'll clinch it.

Ateo - 12-18-2012 at 06:58 PM

I'm with you Curt63.

Party time.

I don't know anyone who thinks the world will end except for maybe a few teenagers.

Enjoy the 12,238,988th time the world was supposed to end.

Marc - 12-18-2012 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
still....any excuse for a party!:tumble:

Let's get down!:tumble::tumble::tumble:

Omniscient Injuns ?

MrBillM - 12-18-2012 at 08:05 PM

As heard earlier:

"They (the Mayans) couldn't predict their own demise. What makes anyone think they could predict anything else ?"

wilderone - 12-19-2012 at 09:11 AM

"They (the Mayans) couldn't predict their own demise. What makes anyone think they could predict anything else ?"

Their calendar is not a prediction. Their demise could very well have been anticipated as they saw their crops dwindle year after year, their soil fallow, the numbers of immigrants swelling in their villages. Disease? War? A decimated population that scattered into oblivion as the reality of feeding themselves became dire. But their calendar, based on astronomy, rivals that of modern day in its accuracy. Michael Coe's publication was 50 years ago - what makes anyone think Michael Coe is right or wrong? The UCSB professor right or wrong? What I gleaned is that anyone who delves into the translation of the language, the interpretation of the calendar, the comparisons of methods, will come up with a date that the Maya calendar itself stops counting time. And then there's the theory that the Maya were assisted in their mathematics, architecture and physics by interplanetary beings with superior knowledge. Would that superior knowledge be the source of the foretelling of the "end" - the Maya only a conduit of the information for future inhabitants of earth? I'm still going to buy green bananas - but hedging with a prayer.
And don't forget the lining up of the planets on this date which may or may not have some affect on planet earth.

Knowing

MrBillM - 12-19-2012 at 11:17 AM

Soon enough.

Whether those who seriously (to even a tiny degree) took any of this Idiotic nonsense as possible will be correct.

Yeah, sure, you betcha.

BTW, back to the linguistic linguini (or linguine, if you will) and disregarding the Apacheans and Irisheans, when referring to a people's language ............

How about the Russians ? Rosetta-Stone says "learn to speak Russian", but they might be wrong.

We want to get this RIGHT and not offend any of the Indigenous anywhere, living or dead.

I'm sure there are other examples where we may be going astray with unknown consequences.

Australians ?

OK, I know that they (supposedly) speak English, but have you ever tried to listen to one ?

It's definitely a different Dialect.

Not to mention the Mexicans.

My Cuban friends have often told me that they DON'T speak Spanish in Mexico.

They do tend to be a little snobbish about their language so that may be over the top.