BajaNomad

Los Naranjos Road Question

Floatflyer - 12-18-2012 at 06:59 PM

I was wondering if anybody has driven this road from Baja 1 north of the San Jose airport across the mountains to the Pacific side after the heavy rains we had last week?

Would like to know if the road is passable by a Ford Explorer with a driver that loves life!!:yes:

willardguy - 12-18-2012 at 07:18 PM

is the exploder 4wd? I feel a map a comin!

Floatflyer - 12-18-2012 at 07:26 PM

Yes, it is 4 wd. The sign on the hwy is gone but my wife knows which turn off to take. Have wanted to drive over it but always was too busy. Now I just want to make sure it isn't a death wish drive, I have plenty of challenges to satisfy my need for "adventure"!

I would asume its good !!

captkw - 12-18-2012 at 07:35 PM

Its all rock and I have had to move a boulder once in while in A 2wd volvo !!!dont get stuck as you might not see anyone for days !!!....K&T

dtbushpilot - 12-19-2012 at 12:40 AM

Just go, you can always turn around or back up to where you can and go back. It's all about the journey anyway isn't it?

Motoged's Photos

David K - 12-19-2012 at 09:24 AM

Ged posted his great photos of that road last July, in my trip report thread... Here it is:

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
David,
I think it is a great report :saint:
And am glad you two are going further south than usual....

Drive the Rancho Naranja road from north of the San Jose del Cabo airport west to just south of Todos Santos....your Taco will thank you for it :light: :coolup:

Always wanted to do that road
Do you have photos?

David,
Here are some pics of that road....starting from the highway north of the airport....looking west:

Some water...

Up top...

The Pacific...

Coming out on the west side from the mountains (heading west)...

One of the beer stops in Todos Santos...

And a place there where you HAVE to eat :cool:

[Edited on 7-31-2012 by motoged]

David K - 12-19-2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
is the exploder 4wd? I feel a map a comin!

Floatflyer - 12-19-2012 at 09:37 AM

DK, thanks for the pictures, looking forward to our trip. Have tried to eat at Shut Up Frank's in the past and it was closed but we will try again.

The road is looking better than I anticipated but then again the Mexicans seem to travel fine with a 30 yr old 2 wheel drive pickup with bald tires, while we gringos HAVE to have 4 wd and off road tires, battery powered air compressor, sat phone, enough water to fill a small swimming pool, food for a family of 8, GPS, prefer to caravan, etc.;D

David K - 12-19-2012 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer
DK, thanks for the pictures, looking forward to our trip. Have tried to eat at Shut Up Frank's in the past and it was closed but we will try again.

The road is looking better than I anticipated but then again the Mexicans seem to travel fine with a 30 yr old 2 wheel drive pickup with bald tires, while we gringos HAVE to have 4 wd and off road tires, battery powered air compressor, sat phone, enough water to fill a small swimming pool, food for a family of 8, GPS, prefer to caravan, etc.;D

The photo thanks go to Motoged in Canada, eh? But, yes... you are right about the car 'needs'... Go slow, reduce the tire pressure, pick your tire placement... it will amaze you what you can do, if you try!

El Jefe - 12-19-2012 at 09:50 AM

The worst part of the road is the top part of the downhill side when you start heading down to the Pacific coast. It just happens to be where the views are awesome. Lots of large boulders in the road there and you have to creep along. There will be damage from heavy summer rains as well. I think your odds of making the passage are about 50-50. Depends on if any one has done repair work in the past week. Just make sure that you can turn around and re-trace your tracks if you come to a washout. In other words, don't go down something you can't get back up! Have fun, and let us know if the road is passable.

Floatflyer - 12-19-2012 at 09:54 AM

Thanks to all for the info. Wife, dog, and I will do an overnighter trip across the road to Todo Santos soon and I will report.

Motoged was a "neighbor" when we lived in Bridge Lake, BC, about 2 hrs north of Kamloops. Unfortunately we have never met but maybe we will in the future.

tiotomasbcs - 12-19-2012 at 11:42 AM

Summer rains and last weeks downpour! Hwy crew repairing Hwy 19 from runoff from the rain. Don't forget your shovel. BTW, Franks opens late these days--Sometime from 2 or 3 w/happy hour from 3-6pm. Beer and burger for 50pesos! Suerte. Tio

LOS NARANJOS

YARDSAIL - 12-19-2012 at 05:03 PM

FORD... DO NOT GO BEFORE COMING BY AND TALKING TO MY NEIGHBOR JERRY... HE WAS OVER IT YESTERDAY ON A MOTOR CYCLE , AND THERE ARE A FEW THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW. THEY ARE DOING A LOT OF CONSTRUCTION NORTH OF THE OLD ROAD MAKING A NEW ROAD TO??????? THE OLD ROAD IS A MESS.... CALL ME OR COME BY BEFORE YOU TRY IT!!! BRIAN

motoged - 12-19-2012 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer
......Motoged was a "neighbor" when we lived in Bridge Lake, BC, about 2 hrs north of Kamloops. Unfortunately we have never met but maybe we will in the future.

FF,
Anybody with a small plane is a friend of mine:biggrin::cool:

Anytime you need some ballast at a window seat, give me a call :saint: