BajaNomad

fleece navidad

rhintransit - 12-22-2012 at 07:02 PM

so, it's the day of the year when the traffic cops are out with their cans collecting money for their annual fiesta. a set on every corner, at every intersection and yes, on Hwy 1, at least here in Loreto.
feeling full of the Christmas spirit, and, well, having nothing smaller, I try to stuff a nice size bill into the slot in the coffee can lid. big grin from the guy when he sees the donation. and, quick as can be, he palms the offering. not quick enough, I catch the movement and say, oh, no, seņor...motioning to the can. he grins, produces the bill and pushes it halfway into the slot. I push it the rest of the way and as I drive out of sight, know full well that the lid comes off and the cash will go into the pocket. perhaps is shared with the other guys on his corner. or not. but, I do wonder how much of the donations end up in the general
party fund and how much in the individual officers' holiday stash.
ah, the holidays in Baja...

DENNIS - 12-22-2012 at 07:19 PM

:lol::lol:..They even rip off each other.

vandenberg - 12-22-2012 at 07:27 PM

That's why we keep the ashtray full of 5 peso coins. Less tempting.:P:biggrin:

Bob H - 12-22-2012 at 08:08 PM

fleece navidad! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
But sad... :(

docsmom - 12-22-2012 at 08:10 PM

:fire:Damn. Just when I'm trying to feel the love..........

Loretana - 12-22-2012 at 09:19 PM

A brief comment, as a side note.......the municipal employees in Loreto (police, trash collectors, bomberos, etc.) were NOT PAID for at least three months.

This is not to excuse anyone's behavior........just sayin' :saint:

BajaBlanca - 12-22-2012 at 09:52 PM

and that is just more fleecing ... the moola to pay them is surely there.

bill erhardt - 12-23-2012 at 04:40 AM

Just like the United Way.......

Hook - 12-23-2012 at 05:46 AM

You'll love this one.

Over here, the police actually go door to door, selling high quality decals/stickers that one puts on their vehicle. The cost is 200 pesos. This year they are actually telling people that if you have one of these on your car, you needn't worry about driving drunk, as you will not be arrested. Lesser infractions are likely to be dismissed, too. Like a Monopoly, get-out-of-jail-free card.

Yeah, I got one.

I live in a fairly flat, rural area and from my palapa deck, I watched them go around the neighborhood; stopping only at residences with gringo plates, of course.

I expect sales are down this year. Two policemen were discovered running an operation where they were breaking into homes in San Carlos. They did go to jail. People are still trying to recover all their stolen goods found in the cops houses, six months later.................but that's another story.

It happens in the US too.

durrelllrobert - 12-23-2012 at 10:13 AM

When I lived in denver in 1961 they busted two cops with a stolen safe in the trunk of their patrol car. In total they busted more than 50 officers for various thefts.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14405448

ncampion - 12-23-2012 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
When I lived in denver in 1961 they busted two cops with a stolen safe in the trunk of their patrol car. In total they busted more than 50 officers for various thefts.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14405448

Nice to put things in perspective. Corruption is not unique to Mexico. Just look at the politicians in the US.

rhintransit - 12-23-2012 at 12:59 PM

and, on annual collection day, our traffic cop census escalates to as many blue uniforms as are available in town. amazing how many corners and intersections that thin blue line can cover.

Alm - 12-23-2012 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loretana
A brief comment, as a side note.......the municipal employees in Loreto (police, trash collectors, bomberos, etc.) were NOT PAID for at least three months.

So they are not getting paid right now? Is this something unique to Loreto?

KurtG - 12-23-2012 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
You'll love this one.

Over here, the police actually go door to door, selling high quality decals/stickers that one puts on their vehicle. The cost is 200 pesos. This year they are actually telling people that if you have one of these on your car, you needn't worry about driving drunk, as you will not be arrested. Lesser infractions are likely to be dismissed, too. Like a Monopoly, get-out-of-jail-free card.

Yeah, I got one.

I live in a fairly flat, rural area and from my palapa deck, I watched them go around the neighborhood; stopping only at residences with gringo plates, of course.

I expect sales are down this year. Two policemen were discovered running an operation where they were breaking into homes in San Carlos. They did go to jail. People are still trying to recover all their stolen goods found in the cops houses, six months later.................but that's another story.

I'd buy one (or more) of those stickers in a heartbeat. When I'm in Mexico around the holidays I just carry lots of small peso change and bills and hand them out freely with a smile. Just part of the whole Mexico travel deal IMHO. Some friends tell me I am too much of a soft touch but so be it, while I don't have a lot materially I have more than most of the locals and am grateful for how well I have always been treated in Mexico. And while I am not religious I do think the holidays are a time for a bit of unconditional sharing.

woody with a view - 12-23-2012 at 05:49 PM

^^^well said, Kurt^^^

Hook - 12-24-2012 at 05:45 AM

That's really cool, Kurt. Merry Christmas to you.

Marc - 12-24-2012 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
That's really cool, Kurt. Merry Christmas to you.

Ditto:yes::yes::yes:

Sweetwater - 12-24-2012 at 09:30 AM

Better with pics?

Sweetwater - 12-24-2012 at 10:22 AM

Now I'm in the spirit.............:lol: