BajaNomad

adivse on expired passport

Ojosraros - 12-23-2012 at 06:42 PM

we were going to drive from San Diego to La Bocaca & Asuncion next week but I just saw that my passport expired 4 months ago. We were planning on staying less than a week. Will I be able to get a tourist card and more importantly, will they allow me to re-enter the USA???

DENNIS - 12-23-2012 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ojosraros
we were going to drive from San Diego to La Bocaca & Asuncion next week but I just saw that my passport expired 4 months ago. We were planning on staying less than a week. Will I be able to get a tourist card and more importantly, will they allow me to re-enter the USA???

The US won't be a problem. Don't know how Mex will react. Good question.

Passport

J.P. - 12-23-2012 at 06:51 PM

They cant keep you out of the U.S. as far as the tourist Fmm I dont Know.
A picture Id. and a little scolding will work crossing into the us.
and maybe a reciept for pasport renewal might work.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by J.P.]

woody with a view - 12-23-2012 at 06:53 PM

just go. worst case you take the bypass around Migra in G Negro. as long as you don't wreck into someone they will never be the wiser.....

David K - 12-23-2012 at 07:01 PM

Mexico will not accept it... read edm-1's trip report of July 2011. Don't sweat it for Mex. But don't try to use it at INM as you might need to pay like Art did.

David K - 12-23-2012 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
just go. worst case you take the bypass around Migra in G Negro. as long as you don't wreck into someone they will never be the wiser.....

Woody is right! U2U for the how to like a local.

Ojosraros - 12-23-2012 at 07:23 PM

we'll bring my expired passport and the receipt for the new one so hopefully, they'll grant us the FMM cards

Ateo - 12-23-2012 at 07:42 PM

I second and third the option to just go. Don't get a tourist card. Get car insurance. When crossing the border back to the USA you'll be fine. My buddy did it last weekend with an expired passport with no issues. People cross with drivers licenses still.

woody with a view - 12-23-2012 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ojosraros
we'll bring my expired passport and the receipt for the new one so hopefully, they'll grant us the FMM cards

I doubt they give you the same passport number (but i haven't been wrong in awhile so the odds are there....) so all that won't matter. if you do not have valid passport i wouldn't try to sweet talk them! just bypass that whole situation and go.

BajaNomad - 12-23-2012 at 07:53 PM

Tourist card - for the past few years now - requires a valid passport. I would not count on obtaining one with an expired passport.

No problem getting back across for USA citizens with only birth certificate and ID.

Bruce R Leech - 12-23-2012 at 07:59 PM

when in doubt go by the book. as everyone has seen in the last few weeks Mexico doesn't .

BajaBlanca - 12-23-2012 at 08:50 PM

I guess we shall meet you next week ! Merry Christmas and have a great trip down !

bajagrouper - 12-23-2012 at 10:19 PM

I wonder if in the small print of the auto insurance policy it states you must be in Mexico legally for it to be in force. Having an FMM makes you legal ...

woody with a view - 12-23-2012 at 10:33 PM

it's Mexico. nothing is for sure, or as it may seem. live on the razors edge and stick your head out of the window at 90 mph and smile!

David K - 12-23-2012 at 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
I wonder if in the small print of the auto insurance policy it states you must be in Mexico legally for it to be in force. Having an FMM makes you legal ...

Not an issue with Baja Bound or Discover Baja.

Bajaboy - 12-24-2012 at 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mexico will not accept it... read edm-1's trip report of July 2011. Don't sweat it for Mex. But don't try to use it at INM as you might need to pay like Art did.

Not necessarily true....my wife got one a few weeks ago with an expired passport. We were unaware that it had expired...the agent informed us and said she would issue one "this" time.

Zac

Marc - 12-24-2012 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Not necessarily true....my wife got one a few weeks ago with an expired passport. We were unaware that it had expired...the agent informed us and said she would issue one "this" time.

Zac

I would not take the chance.

Mula - 12-24-2012 at 07:52 AM

^^ X2 ^^

Don't leave the country without one.

expired passport

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 08:36 AM

I think if you have a birth,DL no problem returning,,,And customs in BCN know they each gringo is going to spend money....and a expired PP is not the end of the world..I've gone with expired dl,no inshure,even forgot fishing lic....The mex folks are not at all ........uptight like there US counter parts....always thought it's sorta funny that on your birthday every 4 years you are no longer valid (dl) rules,,rules,rules, go have a great time...the custom's office by the port (ensanada) might hit you up for a extra 20..but ,,myself would try and get the tourest card at san yirso..remember that in mexico they write the date different than the us/can. and they might not even noticed..but try and get the tourest card early..............K&T:cool:

Great advice

bajaguy - 12-24-2012 at 08:36 AM

In telling people to ignore the laws of a country and how to get around without the proper immigration paperwork. :fire:

Timo1 - 12-24-2012 at 08:40 AM

Terry

Can't agree more

dtbushpilot - 12-24-2012 at 08:45 AM

What bajaguy said.

Why do some people think that it's ok to ignore the laws of Mexico? Is it because we have so little regard for the laws of our own country?

No one is telling anyone to break laws

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 08:48 AM

Bet you a six pack thats its not a law in mexico to enter without a passport..they do LIKE if you have a passport for a tourest card..................Jeez..sheeple !!!

Timo1 - 12-24-2012 at 08:50 AM

It is law to cross any north american you need a passport

Even though the US has relaxed it for people crossing into the states

dtbushpilot - 12-24-2012 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Bet you a six pack thats its not a law in mexico to enter without a passport..they do LIKE if you have a passport for a tourest card..................Jeez..sheeple !!!

"No one is telling anyone to break laws" ?

Anyone suggesting that he or she bypass the immigration paperwork requirements are doing just that.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by dtbushpilot]

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by dtbushpilot]

TIMO

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 08:56 AM

Say what ??? repeat your last :?:

Timo1 - 12-24-2012 at 08:59 AM

sorry I should have edited that to say americans crossing back into the states

Passport laws should be enforced and not relaxed

If one cannot remember to re-up their passports...well stay home

Timo

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 09:01 AM

Hola,,folks loose,have stolen and yes forget to update there papers...we have to have some flexabilaty..no???

Timo1 - 12-24-2012 at 09:06 AM

A law is a law

We HAVE to adhere to the passport law when we travel

We live 2 hours from the US border...no passport no cross

What makes americans "special"

passport

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 09:12 AM

Well,,who said that they are american ???

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by captkw]

Boy,,weve come a long way !!!

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 09:15 AM

You papers Pleeez !!! next the Chip !!

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by captkw]

bajaguy - 12-24-2012 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Well,,who said that they where american ???

They are not "where" american.......but they do live in Santa Barbara, CA

Timo1 - 12-24-2012 at 09:17 AM

If I lost or had an expired passport while traveling I would find the nearest consulate and make DAMN sure I was legal to cross an international border

But I guess its my law-abiding ways

David K - 12-24-2012 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Zac

Great to hear! Then, as with other rules in Mexico, it varies from official to official!:bounce:

woody with a view - 12-24-2012 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1

What makes americans "special"

it's a secret!:light::lol::P

but mostly it's because we live closer to Baja than canuks.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by woody with a view]

DENNIS - 12-24-2012 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Why do some people think that it's ok to ignore the laws of Mexico? Is it because we have so little regard for the laws of our own country?

It's tradition, born in a time and place that had very few enforced laws in the past. That, for ol'timey Baja travelers, was the sigh of relief that came when crossing the border into Baja....the absence of legal restrictions that permeate the atmosphere NOB.
Thas the way I sees it anyway.

[Edited on 12-24-2012 by DENNIS]

mtgoat666 - 12-24-2012 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
What bajaguy said.

no, it's because they have little respect for any laws, regardless of country!

heck, almost every day i break the law and drive above posted speed limit! we all obey only those laws that we want to obey - nationality does not matter, we all do it!

p.s. if your passport is expired, you can get a renewal in about 48 hours. one reason i keep a valid passport is that i would hate to be the 1 in 10000 people at mex land border that gets inspected at border and gets rejected on day 1 of vacation - that might be a bummer. also, i like traveling abroad so always keep my PP current in case the urge strikes to get out of town.

DON,,sir

captkw - 12-24-2012 at 11:12 PM

A big handshake and nod to you sir !!!! very well stated !!