BajaNomad

Great Gift for Baja fishermen....Anti-Motion Binoculars - for Boats, etc.

Pompano - 1-1-2013 at 01:50 PM

Or...You can call them image-stabilized binoculars. These are a welcome addition to my Baja-gear pack....or anywhere-pack for that matter. New for me since unwrapping at Christmas, (Thanks again!) in the last few days I've used them with great success from a boat, a moving vehicle, and bouncing in a small plane.

Mine, as shown below in a vehicle test with a buddy, is the gyro design by Bushnell. In my amigo's case, he found them to be a Godsend. He has Parkinson's and suffers pretty severe hand-shaking. These binocs neutralize hand tremors, vibrations & other movements.
Stabilizes up to 3° of movement

These binoculars have a gyroscope built into them that is driven by a high speed motor, so n the downside, you'll need batteries or another power source like a cig plug inverter to operate them. Easy enough. Another disadvantage of these image stabilized binoculars is that they are somewhat heavier and bigger, but well worth the trouble. For me it's something new I thought Nomads would like to know about. Although, I expect a lot of you already know? Anyhoo, they will be permanent gear from now on...for whenever I want to see ..."What's that on the horizon?"

The anti-motion function makes a memory of all those times on the Cortez trying to get a steady view with regular 7 X 50 boat binocs. Push a button and you get a clear, sharp image of the channel buoy, faint bird boils on the horizon, or that whale spouting in the far distance. Using these binocs to look at this same poor camera scene would bring that whale into SHARP focus. Can't wait to try them out in Baja, but for now there is lots to look at in America.

There are many brands available...Nikon, Zeiss, Bushnell, Fujinon, Canon

Pacifico - 1-1-2013 at 02:11 PM

Those look pretty sweet! I need to pick up a set....

willardguy - 1-1-2013 at 02:14 PM

more handy gadgets!

Pompano - 1-1-2013 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
more handy gadgets!

More indeed....

vandenberg - 1-1-2013 at 03:07 PM

They've been around for a while.

luckyman - 1-1-2013 at 03:51 PM

love the long gun on the dashboard.

Pompano - 1-1-2013 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luckyman

Hola luckyman,

That's not a long gun, it's a short double- barrel shotgun of the type used by handicapped hunters with special vehicle licenses.

luckyman - 1-1-2013 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:

Hola luckyman,

That's not a long gun, it's a short double- barrel shotgun of the type used by handicapped hunters with special vehicle licenses.

we do a bit of road hunting here as well, i've never carried across the dashboard...fish and game frowns on that sort of thing here in clownifornia. by the way, i miss your fishing stories with all the photos. heard you were under the weather for a while, glad to see you're doing better.

Martyman - 1-2-2013 at 11:11 AM

What's the price range on them thar binoculars?

there is no more ca. dept of fish and game!

willardguy - 1-2-2013 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:

Hola luckyman,

we do a bit of road hunting here as well, i've never carried across the dashboard...fish and game frowns on that sort of thing here in clownifornia. by the way, i miss your fishing stories with all the photos. heard you were under the weather for a while, glad to see you're doing better.
Department of Fish and Game has new name for a new era
On Tuesday the California Department of Fish and Game officially becomes the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

This is thanks to Assembly Bill 2402, which was signed into law by Gov. Edmund G. Brown on Sept. 25, 2012.

DFG director Charlton H. Bonham (on Tuesday he'll become DFW Director Bonham) stated Monday afternoon in a news release:

"The name of the department was changed to better reflect our evolving responsibilities. As our role has grown to meet 21st century expectations, we remain committed to our traditional responsibilities and to honoring our deep roots in California’s natural resources legacy."

This seems to imply that people in the 21st Century would rather not see the term "Game" used in the agency title, because it refers to animals hunted for sport or food. The greener "Wildlife" term is more politically correct in an age where hunting is a reality best kept unpublicized.

But Bonham also implies, in the latter portion of his quote, that hunting and fishing will continue to be regarded as important wildlife management tools and sources of revenue, so in reality only the name has changed.

Whatever the case, people will get used to the change. But it may take time.

Game wardens henceforth will be referred to as wildlife officers. The DFG's website will change from www.dfg.ca.gov to www.wildlife.ca.gov (although the current URL will also work indefinitely).
As for the new shield logo, that was not included with Monday's news release.

But the DFG logo accompanying this post, as of 12:01 Tuesday morning, will become a mere collector's item.

Pompano - 1-2-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
What's the price range on them thar binoculars?

Martyman, mine were a gift, but they are spendy. The price ranges from $600 to well over a grand. A good used pair might run you $400 on EBay or Amazon.

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Department of Fish and Game has new name for a new era.
On Tuesday the California Department of Fish and Game officially becomes the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
This seems to imply that people in the 21st Century would rather not see the term "Game" used in the agency title, because it refers to animals hunted for sport or food. The greener "Wildlife" term is more politically correct in an age where hunting is a reality best kept unpublicized.

Whatever the case, people will get used to the change. But it may take time.

Most folks are never surprised by what happens in California anymore.

The Ca. lawmakers could benefit from Canada's honest and humorous view of Fish & GAME.

DENNIS - 1-2-2013 at 12:08 PM

IS lenses are available for cameras also:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/Lens...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization