BajaNomad

National Geographic Baja Expedition NEEDS YOUR HELP!

whatiswest - 1-3-2013 at 03:44 PM

Presenting...

Hey all,

Bryan from Whatiswest checking in to BajaNomads. I've been watching from afar and was putting off posting about our project until I saw a recent thread about our project.

Just to set the record clear, Justin and I are Graham followers, and we have met with him, conservationists, enthusiasts etc. already to discuss logistics; so were pretty dang sure we'll be fine(in response to lasurfer).

You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula! With just a few weeks left we are busy solidifying plans and making final contact. We will be posting regularly here to ask for advice, so we appreciate your help in advance.

Bryan and Justin

whatiswest - 1-3-2013 at 03:47 PM

JOIN!
www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST
www.instagram.com/WHATISWEST
www.twitter.com/WHATISWEST
www.WHATISWEST.tumblr.com

DONATE!
www.paypal.com via WHATISWEST@gmail.com
or
724 Strand St. Santa Monica, CA 90405

CONTACT!
WHATISEST@gmail.com
or
morales@dudesonmedia.com
justin@dudesonmedia.com

BajaBlanca - 1-3-2013 at 04:07 PM

Thanks for posting ! Very very VERY cool what you are doing.

I'd like to say "Be sure to paddle to Asuncion, La Bocana and Punta Abreojos ! but, I am not sure if we are any good for paddling ):

La Bocana has a narrow entrance (la bocana means "the mouth")

and Abreojos has waves(good for surfing). I can't remember if Asuncion has an easy entrance or not.

mtgoat666 - 1-3-2013 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest

JOIN!
www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST
www.instagram.com/WHATISWEST
www.twitter.com/WHATISWEST
www.WHATISWEST.tumblr.com

DONATE!
www.paypal.com via WHATISWEST@gmail.com
or
724 Strand St. Santa Monica, CA 90405

CONTACT!
WHATISEST@gmail.com
or
morales@dudesonmedia.com
justin@dudesonmedia.com

you ask for donation without presenting a budget. what is your budget for trip? how much you got now and how much you asking for? you asking for donation for the trip or for the video production?

btw, seems like a great trip - good luck!

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 04:53 PM

Is there a reason for this adventure.....other than adventure, that is?
Or is it Nat Geo wanting to produce a movie/special, and if so, why didn't they pony up enough money to fund the venture since the finished product is sure to have their name all over it?

I'm just curious......thasall.

mtgoat666 - 1-3-2013 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

i suspect reason is to just go for a walk in the outdoors, smoke some dope, drink some beer, look for some chicks, avoid work for a few months! what more reason do you need? maybe some singing and dancing?

KurtG - 1-3-2013 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

i suspect reason is to just go for a walk in the outdoors, smoke some dope, drink some beer, look for some chicks, avoid work for a few months! what more reason do you need? maybe some singing and dancing?

And is there anything wrong with any of that?

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG

Well....I don't think so, but I hope it's all in the movie. I mean...smoking dope while standing on a paddleboard? This I gotta see . :lol:

desertcpl - 1-3-2013 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Or is it Nat Geo wanting to produce a movie/special, and if so, why didn't they pony up enough money to fund the venture since the finished product is sure to have their name all over it?

I'm just curious......thasall.

very good question,, I was thinking the same thing, as you all know we have had several people here in the past that was looking for sponsors that had no affiliation with any body, just looking for a hand out,, so pony up guys are you
being sponsored by National Geographic or are you just wishing that you adventures will be bought by them?

whatiswest - 1-3-2013 at 05:55 PM

Hey Nomads -

Baja Nomad advice and support (aid, enthusiasm, criticism) throughout this project is as important, if not more important, than any monetary support. In the coming weeks we hope to show everyone our route and logistical plan for executing the journey and hope that fellow Nomads can weigh in.

In the event that you would like to donate to our project, feel free to call us or email separately and we will gladly discuss a detailed breakdown of our budget.

We've raised 1/4 of our funds through a National Geographic Young Explorers Grant and another 1/4 through Shady Acres Entertainment. Where we have enough to make the trip "bare-bones", we would like to raise as much funds as we can from outside sponsorship. These are upfront costs for camera and survival gear but do not cover the editorial portion of our project. We are still in discussion with Nat Geo over our final deliverables (much will depend on the story we come back with) but they have initially agreed to a 5-part web series.

I could write hundreds of pages on the ins and outs of this project. For the moment - FORGET THE MONEY! We just want your support!

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/grants-programs/...

Correction on the email address for WHAT IS WEST:
WHATISWEST@gmail.com

Terry28 - 1-3-2013 at 05:57 PM

Dennis, that part has already been done...trust me...

mtgoat666 - 1-3-2013 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

no, nothing wrong with any of that. i encourage all of that! :bounce::bounce:

motoged - 1-3-2013 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Well....I don't think so, but I hope it's all in the movie. I mean...smoking dope while standing on a paddleboard? This I gotta see . :lol:

Paddleboards: What they did with thousands of left-over windsurfers (one designs) :biggrin:

Now, when we used to sail those things, some folks would spark up "before" the waterstarts....but some creative souls would pull out their ziplocks once out there for a communal break....when there is a will....there is a way :light:

Who do I apply to for Nat Geo to subsidize my next Baja ride? Not an over-done Rip to the Tip type of ride, but maybe another exploration with DT ...and maybe a few other Nomads who know the place....

Just sayin....

DianaT - 1-3-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Dennis, that part has already been done...trust me...

:lol::lol::lol:

whatiswest --- looking forward to seeing your proposed path and agenda! :yes::yes:

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
so pony up guys are you
being sponsored by National Geographic or are you just wishing that you adventures will be bought by them?

This, from one of their above posts, says they were awarded a grant:

whatiswest - 1-3-2013 at 06:22 PM

Nice photos motoged. I use to own a KLR 650 back in college. Loved it.

Unfortunately the NG grant is for anyone 18-26 and they generally don't support vehicle-expeditions. But there are plenty of grants out there if you poke around a bit. Most require media deliverables and it helps to a nice catalogue of photos they can go from.

This is a feisty bunch! Justin is an ex-staff member for National Geographic Television who left to pursue this grant and his love for Baja. I've attached a photo of the grant agreement for anyone else that is questioning the legitimacy of this project :)

Thanks for your continual support DianaT! Your advice has helped. We'll definitely stay in contact!

DianaT - 1-3-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest .......

Unfortunately the NG grant is for anyone 18-26 .......

Are you saying that motoged and DT look older than 26? :lol::lol::lol:

OK, I apologize motoged, but I think you look about 25 ---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
This is a feisty bunch!

We're just bored after the holidays.
Anyway...if we don't ask questions, someone else will. :lol:

David K - 1-3-2013 at 06:30 PM

Best of luck and you have any support that I can provide (logistics, mapping, route, promotion, chase truck?)... Graham can vouch for my Baja passion/ assistance ability.

PS Don't let those with sour grapes here put a dark cloud over your adventure.. for every 'nanny goat' there are a thousand well wishers and supporters of promoting the wonders of Baja for the benefit of everyone.

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

Did you ever get those Carbon 14 results back yet, Diane? Maybe you'r gonna be the next Nat Geo pheenom. :lol:

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Don't let those with sour grapes here put a dark cloud over your adventure..

C'mon David. We're being asked to help finance this venture. Surely you agree that we have qualified reason to ask questions.

whatiswest - 1-3-2013 at 06:50 PM

Thanks David. Dennis you're completely correct. Too much emphasis was put on money in our initial posts. Although, it may not seem like it but it wasn't our intent.

If you'd like to become involve monetarily, there's an option. But Baja Nomads are more helpful on the logistical front. Don't get hung up on the funding. If anyone is around in Baja this late winter/spring we would love to share a cerveza.

Salutations from Los Angeles and San Francisco,

What is West

desertcpl - 1-3-2013 at 06:52 PM

Thanks for the copy of the Grant,, but it really doesnt mean a thing, NG has not given you any money for this, only a pledge that if they like your adventure they might phony up
thats a big if, in my book

DianaT - 1-3-2013 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

Did you ever get those Carbon 14 results back yet, Diane? Maybe you'r gonna be the next Nat Geo pheenom. :lol:

You just wait --- I will get you for that one, yes indeed. :lol::lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

PS Don't let those with sour grapes here put a dark cloud over your adventure.. for every 'nanny goat' there are a thousand well wishers and supporters of promoting the wonders of Baja for the benefit of everyone.

DK, I don't think anyone has discouraged them --- some just had some questions and they answered all the questions, very well I might add. But there will be more questions --- not a big deal, IMHO or enough for the name calling.

Quote:
....... If anyone is around in Baja this late winter/spring we would love to share a cerveza.

Salutations from Los Angeles and San Francisco,

What is West

Depends on your route and agenda. I hope that you will be able to take a break and go gray whale watching........ can't use your paddle boards for that, however.

whatiswest - 1-3-2013 at 07:07 PM

desertcpl - that grant agreement is about 20 pages long. You saw about the first 1/4 of the first page. Yes, Justin DeShields is a National Geographic "Grantee" meaning there is already NG money behind the project. It is in their favor to see the success of this project.

In television, there is never a guarantee that anything will air. If the project is done well, suits NG's audience and the direction the NG would like to go, it will air.

Diana - We will definitely be highlighting the grey whale. At the moment we've teamed up with Serge Dedina of WiLDCOAST to meet representatives at San Ig and Pulmo. We'll also be working with Dr. Octavio Aburto in Cabo Pulmo and Miguel Angel de la Cueva in the Giganta mountain range.

DENNIS - 1-3-2013 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
can't use your paddle boards for that, however.

Restrictions, or just plain dangerous?? :?:

DianaT - 1-3-2013 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
desertcpl - that grant agreement is about 20 pages long. You saw about the first 1/4 of the first page. Yes, Justin DeShields is a National Geographic "Grantee" meaning there is already NG money behind the project. It is in their favor to see the success of this project.

In television, there is never a guarantee that anything will air. If the project is done well, suits NG's audience and the direction the NG would like to go, it will air.

Diana - We will definitely be highlighting the grey whale. At the moment we've teamed up with Serge Dedina of WiLDCOAST to meet representatives at San Ig and Pulmo. We'll also be working with Dr. Octavio Aburto in Cabo Pulmo and Miguel Angel de la Cueva in the Giganta mountain range.

Check your U2U.

motoged - 1-3-2013 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Nice photos motoged. I use to own a KLR 650 back in college. Loved it. ....

This is a feisty bunch!

WIW,
This "feisty bunch" is usually well-meaning for such a disparate group of crusty old farts, dog-lovers, Tecate-swilling desert rats who eagerly offer their opinions that are even sometimes referenced by experience ...:lol:

DON'T LET OUR STYLE SCARE YOU OFF AS THEIR TRULY IS A WEALTH OF INFORMATION RELEVANT TO YOUR ADVENTURE....(WHOOPS....left the capital button on....I am not really yelling:saint: )

Most of us are simply envious..... :cool:

motoged - 1-3-2013 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that motoged and DT look older than 26? :lol::lol::lol:

OK, I apologize motoged, but I think you look about 25 ---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

Diana,
DT definitely looks older than me....:lol: ....but I can be 25 if you like.....cuz it's better than
61 :light:

Certainly no apologies necessary :coolup:

We can all have some fun here ;D

Mula - 1-4-2013 at 06:13 AM

For off the beaten path, come out to San Nicolas on the Sea of Cortez between Mulege and Loreto.

We'll feed you guys and give you an insight to Sea of Cortez history and life with Chico Murillo - who has worked with the NOLYS people from Coyote for 35 years or so.

CortezBlue - 1-4-2013 at 07:30 AM

What are you shooting with, Canon or Nikon?

durrelllrobert - 1-4-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:

I hope that you will be able to take a break and go gray whale watching........ can't use your paddle boards for that, however.

Yea, you need a kayak:

The whale is coming up to scoop up a mouthful of herring ( the small fish seen at the surface around the kayak).
The kayaker is a local Sitka Dentist. He apparently didn't sustain any injuries from the terrifying experience.
The whale was just around the corner from the ferry terminal, and all the kayaker could think at that moment
in time was: "Paddle Man--really fast!"

The whale's mouth is fully open with the bottom half under the boat.
If the whale had closed his mouth before he furiously paddled away -
He might have been LUNCH!!!

shari - 1-4-2013 at 10:37 AM

Hi guys...put me down for cervezas and lobster burritos when you paddle up to the casa! I'm sure you will enjoy the hospitality of many Nomads along your journey...you can count on it. You should schedule a mint julep chat with Mike Younghusband too when you are in the Loreto area.

Will you have a SPOT device or other communication devices with you? Telcel signals are strong all along the mid west coast...so we can call you when you are catching waves in the place that shall not be mentioned...jejejeje

Let us know how we can be of assistance boys.

You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula!

mcfez - 1-4-2013 at 12:51 PM

Wow. I'm a little concerned here.

I was assuming at first........ that you folks were going to walk and paddle the Baja. It sounded as though you are planning to walk it just as Graham did. Perhaps I just read all of this wrong.....

How are you going to walk with paddle boards in hand? That's a awkward and very heavy load to be walking the peninsula with....especially when you still have gear to haul with you. Tents. Food. Bag. The rest of the gear. Secondly....how are you going to carry all the gear while standing on your boards? (!)

http://www.islesurfboards.com/paddle-board-size-and-weight-c...

Another point is this.....just 30 days of planning for all of this? Your websites are at a very minimum with information. Just a lot of pictures and a few sparse statements. There is little said about funding and grants. I didn't see any other sponsorships....like from equipment to paddle board companies. That's extremely odd.

I have this feeling that most of the gear and such will be towed via van/truck. You guys are not really walking the Baja....just going from one point to another with your support truck.

I am sure that you can give us details of just how you are planning to do this walk......National Geographic REQUIRES DETAIL ACCOUNTING before approving grants of such expeditions. You must have details already for this trek....from months ago while processing with National Geographic.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/grants-programs/...

I caution any BN member here.... to hold back for a while before jumping on this band wagon.

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by mcfez]

Curt63 - 1-4-2013 at 01:15 PM

Consider a VHF radio or 2 and learn the local Panguero channels for the different co-ops and especially the more remote areas.

In some circumstances this will be your only call for help.

DENNIS - 1-4-2013 at 01:47 PM

Another question.........how's your Español?
Roaming into the heart of Baja without a working knowledge of the lingo would be like driving down the old road with no spare tire.

whatiswest - 1-4-2013 at 02:25 PM

Hey All! Thanks for the advice and concern. Addressed are some of the questions below:

Spot - We will have a spot device
Cell - We will be using Telcel
Cameras - Canon 5D. We will also have a Sony "run-and-gun" videocamera, a couple GoPros and an iPhone.
SUP - Details will come in a bit but... we are not carrying the SUP boards with us (that's insane). The northern half of the peninsula we will walk the Pacific side. SUPs will be delivered to us in BCS and I think we will leave from Loreto and head south in the Sea of Cortez.
Planning - This has been in the works for over a year.
Radio - That's definitely good advice to have a VHF.
Spanish - Both are conversational.

WIW

EnsenadaDr - 1-6-2013 at 07:17 PM

IJustin DeShields, has a glowing degree from Pepperdyne University, he seems to want to visit exotic places, and spent time on Oahu, Hawaii, Chile, Machu Picchu, and likes adventure. It also appears he speaks very good Spanish...here is an exerpt from National Geographic Channel Magazine. He has only worked as a production intern, but I say green light to him and good luck. Heck, at least he is starting his walk in the winter instead of roasting like the other hikers in mid-summer heat.

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2012/09/12/riotous-adv...

rts551 - 1-6-2013 at 07:38 PM

good luck guys.. I would be glad to help where I can.

whatiswest - 1-8-2013 at 11:49 AM

Yep that's true EnsenadaDr. On that show (Alien Deep) he was the series Associate Producer. Since then he's gone on to work as a field producer on a few different doc series and now is a freelancer at an LA based ad agency.

Bryan has worked in television for many years as a PA. He's also been on expeditions with Outward Bound and NOLS.

Together they are a pretty good combo.

Their trip has been discussed over the past year with many different adventurers, conservationists and enthusiasts. But they also embrace the element of a journey that isn't planned out day-to-day. Their partner JJ Kelley has had many years experience in films of a similar genre. Check them out:
http://dudesonmedia.com/

Thanks rts551!

WIW

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by whatiswest]

micah202 - 1-8-2013 at 12:31 PM

''SUPs will be delivered to us in BCS and I think we will leave from Loreto and head south in the Sea of Cortez.''

.....be sure to take a couple of patio-umbrellas for sails,,usually a good breeze from the north!:biggrin:

whatiswest - 1-8-2013 at 02:45 PM

Just like our friends Erik, Sarah and Tyler!

http://adventureblog.nationalgeographic.com/2012/08/27/three...

fishing rods?

whatiswest - 1-10-2013 at 06:02 PM

We're trying to make a final decision on fishing equipment. It needs to break-down, relatively lightweight, sturdy and dependable for months of shore-fishing. We are inexperienced when it comes to brands. Any ideas?

We're looking at something like Cabela's salt striker line...

DENNIS - 1-10-2013 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
We're trying to make a final decision on fishing equipment. It needs to break-down, relatively lightweight, sturdy and dependable for months of shore-fishing. We are inexperienced when it comes to brands. Any ideas?

Here ya go:

http://tinyurl.com/ab6uhct

desertcpl - 1-10-2013 at 06:13 PM

works every time :lol::lol::lol:

EnsenadaDr - 1-10-2013 at 06:32 PM

I would ask the locals to show you their spots and what they are using...depending if you on the ocean or the Bay...don't listen to these wise "crackers" here.
Quote:

rts551 - 1-10-2013 at 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I would ask the locals to show you their spots and what they are using...depending if you on the ocean or the Bay...don't listen to these wise "crackers" here.
Quote:

If they wait until they can ask the locals, How are they supposed to buy their equipment. You deliver?

DENNIS - 1-10-2013 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
don't listen to these wise "crackers" here

Heyyyyyy....this is no place for racist remarks. :lol:

EnsenadaDr - 1-10-2013 at 09:00 PM

i'm sure the locals would sell them equipment there, or for a price let them borrow it...for a price.
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:

If they wait until they can ask the locals, How are they supposed to buy their equipment. You deliver?

bajaguy - 1-10-2013 at 09:48 PM

Quote:

Sounds dangerous......you should take "the" doctor with you, just in case, of course :lol:

EnsenadaDr - 1-10-2013 at 09:53 PM

No Terry, I think they need you for security, you never know what they might run into...I am fine staying in my own zone of comfort..which is near modern conveniences.

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2013 at 09:54 PM

Quote:

Go to bloody decks website. They will tell you what to bring and teach you some salty fishing lingo. Also is another place to troll for audience members for your reality show.

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2013 at 10:00 PM

Quote:

Ronko pocket fisherman, 15 lb test line and some lures for surf fishing. Seriously, light enough to backpack, and expensive enough to lose and not care. Works ok

We're trying to make a final decision on fishing

mcfez - 1-10-2013 at 10:16 PM

First off.......do you know how to fish? It's not all about throwing in an line and hoping for a hit. Any of the guys over in the BN's Fishing Topic will lecture you about that.

Few things at least to know is........what fish to go after at what season of the year. What is the habits of fish. Live bait verses lures. Current to water temperatures.

Bottom fishing and surf fishing is the easiest. .......but you need to know about that too. It's NOT just about what rod or type of line!

As I said before........you guys are poorly planned, sounds like not much experience on primitive exploring. Y

You still have not publish any sort of game plan here. Certainly you MUST have a drawn path that you are going to take.......Sorry...I still say you guys are just looking for a free vacation. This so called "walking Baja" is nothing compare to Graham's trek (he actually walked it without a crew... feeding and bathing him each night).

EnsenadaDr - 1-10-2013 at 10:29 PM

As I said before, McFez, these guys, from what I have read about them, are clearly looking for an adventure. I don't think they know much about Baja, but one thing they are capable of is speaking enough Spanish to ask for the nearest taco stand or motel if all else fails. If they start their trek soon enough, they will avoid the heat and they are young and healthy enough to probably make it. They are from Malibu, Pepperdyne University. I think they are asking things cause they really don't know, sort of like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Disneyland...the more off the beaten path, the more exotic, the more appeal it has.
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
First off.......do you know how to fish? It's not all about throwing in an line and hoping for a hit. Any of the guys over in the BN's Fishing Topic will lecture you about that.

Few things at least to know is........what fish to go after at what season of the year. What is the habits of fish. Live bait verses lures. Current to water temperatures.

Bottom fishing and surf fishing is the easiest. .......but you need to know about that too. It's NOT just about what rod or type of line!

As I said before........you guys are poorly planned, sounds like not much experience on primitive exploring. Y

You still have not publish any sort of game plan here. Certainly you MUST have a drawn path that you are going to take.......Sorry...I still say you guys are just looking for a free vacation. This so called "walking Baja" is nothing compare to Graham's trek (he actually walked it without a crew... feeding and bathing him each night).

You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula!

mcfez - 1-10-2013 at 10:44 PM

Well Doctor Baja.......
Their announcement from the beginning said "You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula! " That's my beef with this whole thing. They are not. They are using transport for all of their equipment .....and whatever else. Hell......I at age 59 can walk the Baja too, as they claim to be doing. Walk a few miles....and presto...there's a crew with camp set up, din din hot and ready....perhaps a DVD to watch.

No no........their opening statement (using Graham as a reference of name in the post) made it sound like they are toughing it out. No donkey....just a fully equipped motor-home.

Ask for Pay Pay was another blunder. These guys have no idea of the cost.....no finale planning....and asking for money? No no!

Hell...I keep asking for them to post some very simple information here about the path they are planning to take....what type of crew and vehicle.......all to no answers.

Something(s) dont add up with all of this.

Quote:
As I said before, McFez, these guys, from what I have read about them, are clearly looking for an adventure. I don't think they know much about Baja, but one thing they are capable of is speaking enough Spanish to ask for the nearest taco stand or motel if all else fails. If they start their trek soon enough, they will avoid the heat and they are young and healthy enough to probably make it. They are from Malibu, Pepperdyne University. I think they are asking things cause they really don't know, sort of like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Disneyland...the more off the beaten path, the more exotic, the more appeal it has.
Quote:

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by mcfez]

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2013 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
First off.......do you know how to fish? It's not all about throwing in an line iand hoping for a hit. Any of the guys over in the BN's Fishing Topic will lecture you about that.

Generation Y is just like previous generations: has youthful enthusiasm that can overcome naïveté. They will do fine, they got smart phones and spot and can call mom, dad and nomads if they run out of frijoles or huevos.

Heck, I did stuff like this before we had the Internet to look up instructions :lol:;D

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2013 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Well Doctor Baja.......
Their announcement from the beginning said "You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula! " That's my beef with this whole thing. They are not. They are using transport for all of their equipment .....and whatever else. Hell......I at age 59 can walk the Baja too, as they claim to be doing. Walk a few miles....and presto...there's a crew with camp set up, din din hot and ready....perhaps a DVD to watch.

No no........their opening statement (using Graham as a reference of name in the post) made it sound like they are toughing it out. No donkey....just a fully equipped motor-home.

Ask for Pay Pay was another blunder. These guys have no idea of the cost.....no finale planning....and asking for money? No no!

Hell...I keep asking for them to post some very simple information here about the path they are planning to take....what type of crew and vehicle.......all to no answers.

Quote:
Quote:

Mcpez:
The money angle is creative. Don't fault anybody who can figure out how to get a paid vacation! More power to them !

Nothing wrong with taking Sherpas. Smoke em if you got em

EnsenadaDr - 1-10-2013 at 11:02 PM

Well shoot McFez, you don't expect any guys from Malibu used to comfort creatures to rough it all the way now do you? They might have a bright idea there. They won't be wearing themselves out, can take breaks and showers, and get a good night's sleep, they might make it after all. Look at all those survivors shows...they have camera, crew and first aid available. This will certainly not be the Blair Witch Project II...
Quote:
Well Doctor Baja.......

Quote:
Quote:

Bajaboy - 1-10-2013 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Well Doctor Baja.......

Quote:
Quote:

I find it odd that you think it's so noble to donate a wet suit but here you are questioning these guys for asking for a free ride...:?:

Iflyfish - 1-11-2013 at 08:39 AM

Nomads have been very supportive of adventures like this. You really aught to talk with Mike Younghusband if you have not yet done so. He walked the peninsula with his donkey and dogs, had a serious emergency on the way, used his SPOT device and pangeros helped him as I recall.

Wind, wind, wind. Winter there is wind, both sides. Serious wind, waves.

Fishing: Handlines are what locals have used for decades to catch shore fish. If you are subsistence fishing then just line, hook and gather bait as you go, musscles, clams, sand crabs etc.

Great adventure and you can count on Nomads coming through for you. It is also good that you are being challenged, this is a very serious and dangerous adventure you are undertaking. You will be in very remote areas, sometimes out of contact, without medical evacuation, in the natural habitat of sharks etc. What about fresh water? Will you stash provisions along the way as Mike Younghusband did?

This is one of your absolute best resources for technical info and support. Take seriously the advice you get here and expect to be challenged.

Iflyfish

Ateo - 1-11-2013 at 09:07 AM

Sounds like a great adventure. Maybe I'll see ya down south in February.

micah202 - 1-11-2013 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish ........Wind, wind, wind. Winter there is wind, both sides. Serious wind, waves.

..as I said........be sure to take a couple of patio-umbrellas for sails,,usually a good breeze from the north!:biggrin:

Bajaahh - 1-11-2013 at 10:23 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. You'll be fine. Hispanics are the nicest people in the world and will give you the shirt off their back if you need it. Be respectful, dont "document" every surf spot, I would say tread lightly but you got that covered, pack/burn your trash, and enjoy the ride. You will encounter plenty of good people(of every race) that will share a cold beer, a warm fire, and certainly a good baja "story"with you as long as you follow the basic baja rules.
Instead of fishing gear, bring a Hawaiian sling and a mask. JBL sells a good one that breaks down into three pieces. They are perfect for traveling. You can get PLENTY of reef fish, halibut and...ah hum...langosta(yes, its illegal, but so is crossing into the U.S. without a green card). I hope your bringing a 4/3, hood, booties and gloves for northern baja, you WILL need it... ¡Buena Suerte!

wsdunc - 1-11-2013 at 10:41 AM

Sounds like a great trip, I am sure it will be an adventure, but I guess that's the plan. Getting fishing advice here may overwhelm you, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people. I reckon that by the time you are done you'll be experienced fishermen.:D For travel I have been using a 4 piece rod from LL Bean, the medium one.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/77033?feat=travel%20rod-SR0&a...

DENNIS - 1-11-2013 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaahh
...langosta(yes, its illegal, but so is crossing into the U.S. without a green card).

I knew if I waited long enough, someone would equate illegal lobster fishing with undocumented immigration. It's all so clear now.
Thank You. :lol::lol:

whatiswest - 1-11-2013 at 11:45 AM

There are a lot of valid questions you have and some of them I don't have answers to or time to go into them. I humbly admit that we are just two dudes and we can only do so much. Walking is perhaps the easy part. I do credit ourselves with coming up with a good idea. The rest of the story depends on the help of others. Just like Graham, we have good intentions and I believe that is why we've gotten to the point where we are now.

Katadyn's Survivor 35, desalination hand pump will provide fresh drinking water.
Must contact Younghusband yes! Thank you for the reminder.
Hawaiin sling and mask; oh for sure!
What do halibut bite at?
Wetsuits? We may just keep our surf sessions down 10 minute spurts.
Final route? Would love to finish working on an editable google map with pins dropped to our destinations. Although, should I post it here? I'm sensing jealousy which leads to confusion, which leads to anger, which leads to lashing out against helpless backpackers.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by whatiswest]

mcfez - 1-11-2013 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of valid questions you have and some of them I don't have answers to or time to go into them. I humbly admit that we are just two dudes and we can only do so much. Walking is perhaps the easy part. I do credit ourselves with coming up with a good idea. The rest of the story depends on the help of others. Just like Graham, we have good intentions and I believe that is why we've gotten to the point where we are now.

Katadyn's Survivor 35, desalination hand pump will provide fresh drinking water.
Must contact Younghusband yes! Thank you for the reminder.
Hawaiin sling and mask; oh for sure!
What do halibut bite at?
Wetsuits? We may just keep our surf sessions down 10 minute spurts.
Final route? Would love to finish working on an editable google map with pins dropped to our destinations. Although, should I post it here? I'm sensing jealousy which leads to confusion, which leads to anger, which leads to lashing out against helpless backpackers.

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by whatiswest]

I hate to see you starve.....you will find good info here for fishing:
http://www.charkbait.com/article/RAtom.htm

" I'm sensing jealousy which leads to confusion"
The confusion started when your post appeared with little detail and a lack of game plan......then asking for money through a Pay pay account.

You still haven't really explained anything about this run. Why is it so hard to give out some real simple information about this trek? Jealousy exist in all of us that are NOT in Baja at this time :-)

whatiswest - 1-11-2013 at 12:44 PM

Thank you for the response mcfez, you're right I forgot about the route. We apologize for the lack of transparency, do also keep in mind that our perspective for the project is on the microscopic level, and yes we forgot about the macro big picture. We intentionally didn't publish our itinerary because we don't want to pigeon hole ourselves, we appreciate the input of others to sway us on our final path.
Ya the whole asking for money issue: that was never our intent. We were testing a freshly made doc that we could pass off to build a grassroots support. Notice that building social media was stressed more than receiving monetary donations. However this doc was not tailored for this forum, our mistake.

We use NatGeo corporate logo as a means to establish legitimacy, so that we're not just 'a couple guys looking for a free backpacking trip'. This is however a grassroots effort. I did have to spend days and months writing grants without ever earning a dollar.

100 days! 1000 HUMAN POWERED MILES. No sherpas.
Depart Feb. 1st, following the Pacific coast by foot Tijuana to Scammon's Lagoon. Laguna San Ignacio first week of March. Cross to Sea of Cortez skirting Sierra La Giganta. SUP(stand up paddleboard) to La Paz. La Paz to Cabo Pulmo by foot. Cabo San Lucas.

What is happening? What has happened? What should happen?
So many stories: overfishing, drug wars, eco-tourism, adventure, fresh water, unrivaled desert-ocean landscape... list goes on

We hope to scratch the surface.

mcfez - 1-11-2013 at 01:12 PM

Thank you for the response. You now sound more legit. I'll back off now.

Your paddle boards......have you checked to see what the wind conditions are during the next few months? It just may be way too windy to deal with the white caps.......best to ask for windy conditions from the BN's that live on the Pacific side......historically weather patterns.

Food poisoning is another real threat. Cookouts can be a source of food poisoning. I know this first hand....being an experienced "primitive" camper, taught well to be extra careful when outdoors.....and I still got poisoned!! First case was down south off the Sea of Cortez 5 years ago....was lucky enough to have a young son pull be back to San Felipe. Second case was here in Sacramento last month......not so lucky. I am enclosing a link from http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/food-poison... for you and the crew to read. Take it seriously. I was within a few hours of death last month.

Learn to build a fire without a match :-)
A magnifying glass or a flint striker ...moister seems to always ruin the lighter and /or matches .

With the list of spots your listed as partial route....perhaps the BN's here that live near these points can fill in .....with information about the areas. More data ....the better, for such an under taking.

Good luck with your trek...........

Quote:
Thank you for the response mcfez, you're right I forgot about the route. We apologize for the lack of transparency, do also keep in mind that our perspective for the project is on the microscopic level, and yes we forgot about the macro big picture. We intentionally didn't publish our itinerary because we don't want to pigeon hole ourselves, we appreciate the input of others to sway us on our final path.
Ya the whole asking for money issue: that was never our intent. We were testing a freshly made doc that we could pass off to build a grassroots support. Notice that building social media was stressed more than receiving monetary donations. However this doc was not tailored for this forum, our mistake.

We use NatGeo corporate logo as a means to establish legitimacy, so that we're not just 'a couple guys looking for a free backpacking trip'. This is however a grassroots effort. I did have to spend days and months writing grants without ever earning a dollar.

100 days! 1000 HUMAN POWERED MILES. No sherpas.
Depart Feb. 1st, following the Pacific coast by foot Tijuana to Scammon's Lagoon. Laguna San Ignacio first week of March. Cross to Sea of Cortez skirting Sierra La Giganta. SUP(stand up paddleboard) to La Paz. La Paz to Cabo Pulmo by foot. Cabo San Lucas.

What is happening? What has happened? What should happen?
So many stories: overfishing, drug wars, eco-tourism, adventure, fresh water, unrivaled desert-ocean landscape... list goes on

We hope to scratch the surface.

mcfez - 1-11-2013 at 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Well Doctor Baja.......

Quote:
Quote:

I find it odd that you think it's so noble to donate a wet suit but here you are questioning these guys for asking for a free ride...:?:

Who said that I found it to be so noble to donate a kid an wetsuit? A 12 year child was asking for a wetsuit....something that is not available to 99% of the folks in Mexico. If i can make a child happy.......I will do that.....and have done it many times in Baja. Noble? No....just a decent human that shares with the needy. If you ever read my prior postings....you'll see where I am heavily involved with helping kids...in San Felipe especially. For a knucklehead such as you..... that comes along and uses a kid to make points.....you are not noble :-)

Question these guys about a free ride.............they/he responded in an most positive way to me........acknowledging that I had the right to ask hard questions. Let me shove that in your face a few times knucklehead.

Have you anymore silly retorts to make?

NOW......................back to the guys that are teaming up to walk the Baja.

gnukid - 1-11-2013 at 01:43 PM

It's my opinion people need to think of ways to plan, fund and execute their own excursions whether for research or promotion. The idea that others should/could fund your adventure sort of misses the whole point and the personal adventure of it. It sort of feels like baja is this place that these people imagine you should be paid to visit and that you just go and ask for money, rides and food? Sorry nope.

It's my impression that everyone would enjoy going on a trip to Baja and you sort of have to earn it and be self sufficient, it's not that hard to do, people have done it forever and doing it on your own is the fun part.

This proliferation of trips that require and expect people to fund and deliver beers and tequila to wayward unprepared travelors is a bit much lately.

Call me old school, or even curmodgeon. I grow sick of baja slackers and mooches claiming some sort of achievement for getting by on others bakcs and encouraging more slackers and moochers who apparently aren't willing to work and save money or contribute to their own livilhood.

On the other hand, what is admirable are people who plan a trip, save money, work hard and spend a portion of their time contributing to Baja by cleaning up trash, sharing skills and ideas, music and art and contributing to the overall wellbeing of Baja.

While I don't know these guys personally I am going say nope to funding their trip and wish them good luck and best wishes earning it and achieving it on their own. If you make it on your own you'll appreciate it more and you can congratulate yourself on your personal achievement.

shari - 1-11-2013 at 03:13 PM

hahaha....I thought your post said edible google maps which I thought was a capital idea!...hope to hook up with you dudes in Ojo de Liebre...by the way, you can get the pangeros to drop you off on the other side of the lagoon for a great walk down the beach from there along Malarrimo to Bahia Tortugas or Asuncion etc...it was a great chapter of Graham's book....watch for bales!

gnukid - 1-11-2013 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaahh
...langosta(yes, its illegal, but so is crossing into the U.S. without a green card).

I knew if I waited long enough, someone would equate illegal lobster fishing with undocumented immigration. It's all so clear now.
Thank You. :lol::lol:

It's my understanding that swimming from the beach to get shellfish and eating it at the beach is not illegal--what's illegal is using a boat or harvesting and carrying to another location for example for sale or more than you can eat. This is traditional and current interpretation. You can't take more than you can eat on the spot obviously.

mtgoat666 - 1-11-2013 at 04:13 PM

hiking with support of boat rides and meals-on-wheels just does not seem like a challenge,... just saying.

re walkabout for gen y in baja, i think we need more indian ascetics to wander naked in baja,...

shari - 1-11-2013 at 04:17 PM

just a heads up...on this part of the central pacific coast, it is a federal offense to take even one lobster or abalone even just to eat...the fishermen will be generous with providing food but I sure wouldn't want to be caught getting a lobster yourself here and the vigilancia watch very very closely.

mtgoat666 - 1-11-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
It's my impression that everyone would enjoy going on a trip to Baja and you sort of have to earn it and be self sufficient, it's not that hard to do, people have done it forever and doing it on your own is the fun part.

This proliferation of trips that require and expect people to fund and deliver beers and tequila to wayward unprepared travelors is a bit much lately.

Call me old school, or even curmodgeon. I grow sick of baja slackers and mooches claiming some sort of achievement for getting by on others bakcs and encouraging more slackers and moochers who apparently aren't willing to work and save money or contribute to their own livilhood.

On the other hand, what is admirable are people who plan a trip, save money, work hard and spend a portion of their time contributing to Baja by cleaning up trash, sharing skills and ideas, music and art and contributing to the overall wellbeing of Baja.

"you sort of have to earn it and be self sufficient"
hmmmmm

so you covered moochers and altruistic worker bees,... what about selfish worker bees or inherited money? trust fund babies allowed to travel in baja in the world according to gnu?

bajaguy - 1-11-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
just a heads up...on this part of the central pacific coast, it is a federal offense to take even one lobster or abalone even just to eat...the fishermen will be generous with providing food but I sure wouldn't want to be caught getting a lobster yourself here and the vigilancia watch very very closely.

Yeah, I'm amazed that anyone would suggest that these guys do anything to break the law in another country. Follow the laws and the rules, enjoy yourself and have fun.

DENNIS - 1-11-2013 at 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Yeah, I'm amazed that anyone would suggest that these guys do anything to break the law in another country. Follow the laws and the rules, enjoy yourself and have fun.

Yeah....I agree. I also believe that two intrepid adventurers seeing a lobster swim by will be able to interpret those laws at the moment and shouldn't be discussing it on the WWW.
If they can't think for themselves, they shouldn't be leaving home.

Here is what Martha Stewart would do under the circumstances:

http://www.marthastewart.com/354999/lobster-newburg

Bajaahh - 1-11-2013 at 05:10 PM

Relax, Im sure NONE of us has EVER broken a law in Mexico, hell, they make half of em up as they go along just to try and make a buck off tourists.
...the taking of lobsters is illegal, it was a joke. :lol: Kinda.

I guess Im done on this thread, good luck boys, I hope to meet you on your journey...

Stickers - 1-11-2013 at 05:20 PM

Quote:

Here is what Martha Stewart would do under the circumstances:

http://www.marthastewart.com/354999/lobster-newburg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Graham - 1-20-2013 at 11:51 PM

Less than two weeks to go. I’m sending best wishes to Bryan and Justin.

Anyone who can paddle and walk 1000 miles - especially in Baja – and make a film record has my respect. There are no guarantees and they can run into problems anywhere en route, right from mile 1 in TJ.

I enjoyed meeting with them last summer and discussing my shore fishing experiences, the need for a SPOT device, making drinking water by boiling seawater, using a reverse-osmosis desalinator, etc, etc.

Thanks Nomads for all the good advice and offers of help. As ever, I wish them the same kindness, encouragement, and luck I enjoyed on my Baja adventures.

Hope we can share a beer or two somewhere en route.

Graham - 2-2-2013 at 10:34 PM

Bryan and Justin left TJ today heading down the coast loaded with cameras and laptop... and carrying a surfboard! Destination Cabo San Lucas.

Rather them than me. Looking forward to sightings and reports that all's well.

BajaNomad - 2-3-2013 at 02:32 PM

And the trip itself now has it's own thread...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65399