BajaNomad

Got cappuchino??

EnsenadaDr - 1-5-2013 at 03:31 PM

Starbucks is extremely popular in Ensenada, and they have opened a new franchise in Macroplaza. I loved getting my morning cup of Joe at Starbucks, but it was really burning a hole in my pocket. For a good cappuchino or latte, it runs over $40 pesos a cup. I always looked at making cappuchino or latte as a mystery, until a friend of mine in Hawaii showed me how to use his machine. It is very simple. I bought one in WalMart Rancho San Diego for less than $40 American, got some sugar free Torani Hazelnut and Vanilla syrups, and brought everything down to Ensenada. You can also just steam milk as my daughter likes the foamy hot chocolate, and I lucked out at Vons with some Starbucks coffee that was on sale. Helps with the chilly Ensenada mornings and saves me some pennies.

vandenberg - 1-5-2013 at 04:15 PM

Starbuck's has always been a mystery to me. Why people would shell out the money they do for a cup of coffee of any kind is ludicrous to me. Same goes for theater snack counters. Must be the Dutch in me.:biggrin::biggrin:

bajadock - 1-5-2013 at 04:37 PM

I'm guessing Starbucks' popularity with Mexicans is the same reason that their national beer is Bud Light. It's the cool thing to do, as directed by TV/pop culture.

Going through a pound of beans from Chiriqui Panama at home using french press. Yum.

La Casa Antigua or Cafe Arabiga are my preferred downtown Ensenada cafes. Both are a block off Lopez Mateos to avoid the tourist crowd.

DENNIS - 1-5-2013 at 05:07 PM

So...... ya want some good coffee, doya?
Try Jamaica Blue Mountain:

http://bestbuykopiluwak.blogspot.mx/2012/04/magnum-100-jamai...

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2013 at 05:29 PM

recent article on learning to make the perfect cup of coffee:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/dining/learning-to-create-...

starbucks is good for an early morning drive thru when on the road early. their pastries and sandwiches suck, but coffee is OK, their drip is better than average

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2013 at 05:32 PM

and here is an article on making the perfect tea:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photogra...

BajaBlanca - 1-5-2013 at 05:36 PM

I have always loved a good cuppa coffee and loved getting starbuck, and I mean the expensive double cappuccino with vanilla or syruppysomething.

then I came down with diabetes.

and now, guess what ? This Brazilian who has drunk coffee since forever,suddenly developed an eversion to coffee. Don't like the smell and it does not taste good anymore and my body says NAHHHHHHHHHHHHH whenever my brain says YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM to the thought of drinking coffee.

I don't get it, I don't get it at all, but my pocket sure says thanks.

EnsenadaDr - 1-5-2013 at 05:46 PM

You might want to try the frothed low fat milk with the Torani Hazelnut, Vanilla, Caramel or other flavors they sell at Vons, or the sugar free syrup at Starbucks. They are virtually indistinguishable from the regular sugar kind.
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I have always loved a good cuppa coffee and loved getting starbuck, and I mean the expensive double cappuccino with vanilla or syruppysomething.

then I came down with diabetes.

and now, guess what ? This Brazilian who has drunk coffee since forever,suddenly developed an eversion to coffee. Don't like the smell and it does not taste good anymore and my body says NAHHHHHHHHHHHHH whenever my brain says YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM to the thought of drinking coffee.

I don't get it, I don't get it at all, but my pocket sure says thanks.

Comercial Mexicana Has a House Brand of Whole Bean Coffee

Gypsy Jan - 1-5-2013 at 05:54 PM

That we really like
Grand Cafe Cielo de Oaxaca

Grand Cafe Espresso Venecia

And two or three other blends whose names I can't remember off the top of my head. Every one we have tried have been very good.

In order to get the name and price right, I am sniffing the new bag of Espresso Venecia and I am really craving a cup of coffee right now.

A kilo runs S179 pesos.

Sweetwater - 1-6-2013 at 07:17 PM

On my counter since 2000 and worth every penny it cost then. It has cranked out espresso, latte's and cafe americano's without clogs or problems. I can not imagine a drip machine ever replacing it.

EnsenadaDr - 1-6-2013 at 07:25 PM

nice, and the cost?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
On my counter since 2000 and worth every penny it cost then. It has cranked out espresso, latte's and cafe americano's without clogs or problems. I can not imagine a drip machine ever replacing it.

Pompano - 1-6-2013 at 07:29 PM

World's strongest coffee.

Disclaimer: This is not your regular morning coffee. This is not your store bought coffee. You will not find this coffee at your local diner or at your sissy Starbucks. Death Wish Coffee is the most highly caffeinated premium dark roast organic coffee in the world. This is Extreme Coffee, not for the weak. Consider yourself warned.

It's a real eye opener...trust me.

Sweetwater - 1-6-2013 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
nice, and the cost?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater

Back then, $450 range. Current model is $650. Amortized over 12 years with serious use, 10 cents a day (so far) although you'd need to add another nickel a day for the commercial grinder that is also necessary. BTW, I do not like Espresso roasts and use the machines to make my faves, Kenya, Sumatra and lighter Arabica's. YMMV as they say.

I'm looking forward to my first cuppa Death Wish Coffee.......

:cool: