BajaNomad

Not Meant As A Joke BRING COLD WEATHER GEAR

DavidE - 1-7-2013 at 03:07 PM

FOR MULEGE. And no it isn't a misprint. It is damned cold right now and with a stiff wind blowing. Sixty some odd degrees my butt, it is closer to 48F at 3:00 PM. Hope it doesn't last long.

Fri Jan 11
Partly Cloudy

68°

45°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NW at 12 mph

Details
Sat Jan 12
Partly Cloudy

67°

42°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NNW at 12 mph

Details
Sun Jan 13
Sunny

68°

43°

Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NNW at 12 mph

Details
Mon Jan 14
Sunny

69°

46°

Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NW at 8 mph

Details

Somewhere Right Now

Gypsy Jan - 1-7-2013 at 03:48 PM

Some Canadians are laughing their a**es off.

Hook - 1-7-2013 at 03:57 PM

We have a weather station over here in Sonora that is showing gusts to 32 mph and a steady 24 mph wind. 62 degrees right now, headed to 48 tonight and a 40% chance of rain.

That's on a hill near the ocean, where the wind is exaggerated a bit. I've got 68 degrees right now and probably blowing about 20 mph.

The broadleafed broccoli and cauliflower are not happy right now, in this wind. :fire:

bajajudy - 1-7-2013 at 04:04 PM

50 on my porch this morning

DavidE - 1-7-2013 at 04:45 PM

Gypsy Jan,

Those whiteskins weren't laughing so hard last August when temperatures were 35C+

Global climate change is upon us, and where is AlGore? I have heard zero from the guru of asinine assumptions. Piers Corbin has it right when he says we are dropping into a mini ice age like what occurred in the late 1700's and back in the 1300's.

The temperature dropped to 15C last night in my pueblito in Michoacan. UNHEARD OF!

Bajaboy - 1-7-2013 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Gypsy Jan,

Those whiteskins weren't laughing so hard last August when temperatures were 35C+

Global climate change is upon us, and where is AlGore? I have heard zero from the guru of asinine assumptions. Piers Corbin has it right when he says we are dropping into a mini ice age like what occurred in the late 1700's and back in the 1300's.

The temperature dropped to 15C last night in my pueblito in Michoacan. UNHEARD OF!

Well you are partly correct:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/?p=2638#.UOtgSHcT6pc

ligui - 1-7-2013 at 04:55 PM

-27 f on my deck this morning . :wow: was just in ligui a week ago . I'd trade now :bounce:

astrobaja - 1-7-2013 at 06:30 PM

We woke up to 8cm of fresh snow this am, it got down to -7C! (thats 19 in the flintstones scale) guess cold is all relative, time to stoke up the fireplace!!

Alm - 1-7-2013 at 07:07 PM

Quote:

It's not that simple. The climate change of that scale didn't happen since the ice age, and the only thing that is certain is that it becomes more turbulent. More winds, storms, floods, tornadoes, more frequent and more severe weather extremes, like +35C in Canada and +10C in Baja. Polar ice meltdown is accelerating, ocean acidity is rising (CO emissions absorbed by water).

Al Gore was right - back then - about climate change coming. Shortly after his documentary, the very term was nearly banned on the Capitol Hill. Oh yeah, ocean level rising had also been "eliminated". This all came with a lot of brainwash in media and schools - financed by oil industry and car makers - and now things are slowly coming back to reality. Though they may try and turn 180 degrees again. There is no cure from stupidity.

Bajaboy - 1-7-2013 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alm

Al Gore was right - back then - about climate change coming. Shortly after his documentary, the very term was nearly banned on the Capitol Hill. Oh yeah, ocean level rising had also been "eliminated". This all came with a lot of brainwash in media and schools - financed by oil industry and car makers - and now things are slowly coming back to reality. Though they may try and turn 180 degrees again. There is no cure from stupidity.

Guess who will chime in about Shell Island about now:light:

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by Bajaboy]

CortezBlue - 1-7-2013 at 07:40 PM

Yes, up here in Phoenix, we had a dip in temperature due to the storm south of us blowing across Baja and into the mainland.

DavidE - 1-8-2013 at 12:41 PM

Al Gore screamed not....Climate Change
He ranted GLOBAL WARMING, over and over and over and over. GLOBAL WARMING

Global Warming is not overall climate change. Climate chance needs specific remedies to offset altered rainfall and temperature patterns. There is no mechanism in place to establish a huge canal to the pacific west and into our breadbasket of Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa to augment drought remedy.

Remember Al Gore? This is the fool that championed riding bicycles and living like a trappist monk while he was burning nine thousand dollars a month in electrical power to operate his mansion.

One die-off (many of which has already occurred) of the Amazon rain forest will release in excess of TEN TIMES the total amount of CO2 ever generated by humans since the dawn of time.

Everything now is hinged upon political rhetoric and agenda. Zero is based on logic. Homes and offices should be required to have a minimum R-60 value for insulation. Insulation should be 100% tax free. Same for solar and wind products. Refineries and factories should be allowed 100% tax credit for stack scrubbers, and all space heating utilizing 95% or higher efficiency should be utterly tax free.

Forgive me if I remain a skeptical pessimist.

If you desire climate information from a genuine astrophysicist rather than a failed lawyer, GOOGLE Piers Corbin

micah202 - 1-8-2013 at 01:00 PM

''Not Meant As A Joke BRING COLD WEATHER GEAR
FOR MULEGE. And no it isn't a misprint. It is damned cold right now and with a stiff wind blowing. Sixty some odd degrees my butt, it is closer to 48F at 3:00 PM. Hope it doesn't last long.''
-----------------

.....sounds like a typical 'elNorte' weather pattern,no?
..I've come to expect a few days of colder weather every 3-4 weeks,,
,,,,,with great** norte' winds.

....**great,if yer love high wind sailing that is!

:tumble:

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by micah202]

redmesa - 1-8-2013 at 02:12 PM

But it is a dry cold? :)

DavidE - 1-8-2013 at 02:14 PM

If a person is prepared to weather a cold spell, it is a piece of cake. If not, it can be miserable and it will push the unprepared as far south as they can go on the peninsula to try and tolerate it.

Mexican hotel beds are scarce on blankets to begin with and blankets tend to be heavy and not really effective. Tossing in a 4 lb sleeping bag, thermal underwear and a heavy coat into the car is easy to do and can make or break a trip, comfort wise.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Pompano - 1-8-2013 at 02:16 PM

Wind? Did you say WIND??

Wintertime in Baja = wind. Watch out for February..the Loco Month!

Unless you're a couch potato, when Nature blows you a windy day....get out and enjoy it!

Baja or anywhere...

Windsurfing in entrance to Conception Bay wind tunnel.

Mares Tails aloft...front yard in Coyote Bay.

Palms at Motel Morro, Sta. Rosalia

Heceta Head lighthouse - Oregon Coast

The younger years..."My place is just down the beach." ;D

Hanging out near Newport, Oregon

Mulege fishermen laugh at the wind!

Mi Yarcraft loves wind.

North Dakota locals enjoy a breezy afternoon on Lake Sakakawea.

Bajaboy - 1-8-2013 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Al Gore screamed not....Climate Change
He ranted GLOBAL WARMING, over and over and over and over. GLOBAL WARMING

Global Warming is not overall climate change. Climate chance needs specific remedies to offset altered rainfall and temperature patterns. There is no mechanism in place to establish a huge canal to the pacific west and into our breadbasket of Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa to augment drought remedy.

Remember Al Gore? This is the fool that championed riding bicycles and living like a trappist monk while he was burning nine thousand dollars a month in electrical power to operate his mansion.

One die-off (many of which has already occurred) of the Amazon rain forest will release in excess of TEN TIMES the total amount of CO2 ever generated by humans since the dawn of time.

Everything now is hinged upon political rhetoric and agenda. Zero is based on logic. Homes and offices should be required to have a minimum R-60 value for insulation. Insulation should be 100% tax free. Same for solar and wind products. Refineries and factories should be allowed 100% tax credit for stack scrubbers, and all space heating utilizing 95% or higher efficiency should be utterly tax free.

Forgive me if I remain a skeptical pessimist.

If you desire climate information from a genuine astrophysicist rather than a failed lawyer, GOOGLE Piers Corbin

Piers Corbin...yes, selective science:(

Cypress - 1-8-2013 at 02:52 PM

About 75 degrees here on Maui. And the scenery is eye-popping!;D

shari - 1-8-2013 at 03:01 PM

these cold fronts the last couple weeks have given us air temps in the day of 60-70 and even got down to 48 the other night...normal night temps are 50-60 but today's cold wind has kept the air temp to 61.5 in the shade...brrrrrr.

This time of year I pack extra blankets and a space heater if we are going to stay in hotels.

BajaBlanca - 1-8-2013 at 03:43 PM

I know it is all relative and Canadians surely laugh out loud but for us, who live here, the blood thins and it is bloody cold right now.

I sure was happier in the East Cape - it was nice and warm. Windy, very windy, but we are used to the wind here and I was Ok with it.

Can we go back there til this cold front moves on?

Sigh............ I didn't think so :)

vgabndo - 1-8-2013 at 04:28 PM

T minus 20 days, and yes I'm counting!

High temps2.jpg - 43kB

DavidE - 1-8-2013 at 04:39 PM

And no, it isn't bone dry cold either. Thankfully the sun came out today the wind died down and a little warmth returned. But my Infra Red Thermometer recorded 41.4 this morning pointed at the back porch concrete. I expect tonight to drop into the thirties.

I'm sure going to enjoy that LPG infrared heater when it arrives. The glowing patch makes it feel like a person is standing in front of a glowing wood stove.

But this is potato and salad greens weather. Should be a great crop. 17 different types of lettuce and greens.

Purchased big baskets of strawberries yesterday. 12.50 pesos per. Absolutely intense strawberry perfume! Strawberry shortcake with thick Mexican cream and fresh made strawberry topping!

Hook - 1-9-2013 at 02:21 PM

When I was monitoring temps in San Carlos (not Baja, admittedly) before I moved here, I saw temps of 29 F.

Our first or second year here, we had 31F one night. We're about a mile from the ocean and we are somewhat near the mouths of canyons where cold air accumulates and begins moving east to west in the early morning hours.

IF you think the current temps are cold, wait for Sun, Mon, Tues nights. We might see high 30s F.

[Edited on 1-9-2013 by Hook]

DavidE - 1-9-2013 at 02:55 PM

Whew, better than Toluca, edo de México. 30 December 1981. Minus four F!!

Or bridgeport California 23 January 1986. Minus -39 Fahrenheit

redmesa - 1-9-2013 at 03:44 PM

We had our coats and passports stolen in San Felipe in 1993 (I think). People were dying from the cold front that had moved into the area in Baja and the mainland.

shari - 1-9-2013 at 03:51 PM

my strawberries are ripening nicely...so far...it is a balmy 65 degrees in the sun today...we actually got out on the beach but the water has cooled down to unswimmable without a wetsuit...dang.

DavidE - 1-9-2013 at 04:02 PM

Saw a huge fog bank on the other side of Bahía Asunción this morning. Tis always the season to take advantage of the weather. The honeybees are still busy. I'm going to plant a swatch of clover for them. A strong hive will resist the advances of los abejas africanos better.

DavidE - 1-11-2013 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
FOR MULEGE. And no it isn't a misprint. It is damned cold right now and with a stiff wind blowing. Sixty some odd degrees my butt, it is closer to 48F at 3:00 PM. Hope it doesn't last long.

For parts on the Pacific Coast, the weather gurus are forecasting one grado centigrados for Monday the 14th. Inland areas are supposed to see ice.

Fri Jan 11
Partly Cloudy

68°

45°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NW at 12 mph

Details
Sat Jan 12
Partly Cloudy

67°

42°

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NNW at 12 mph

Details
Sun Jan 13
Sunny

68°

43°

Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NNW at 12 mph

Details
Mon Jan 14
Sunny

69°

46°

Sunny

Chance of rain:
0%

Wind:
NW at 8 mph

Details

shari - 1-11-2013 at 03:19 PM

wow, I moved my outdoor thermometer from the shady windy side where it read 63 degrees and on our sunny protected outdoor patio it says 85 degrees....time to get my bikini on

Barry A. - 1-11-2013 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
wow, I moved my outdoor thermometer from the shady windy side where it read 63 degrees and on our sunny protected outdoor patio it says 85 degrees....time to get my bikini on

-------but, keep your micro-fleece handy if any clowds around!

Barry