BajaNomad

what causes deformed cactus?

BajaBlanca - 1-9-2013 at 04:31 PM

and this was borrowed from another thread that someone posted on a trip report.

DENNIS - 1-9-2013 at 04:37 PM

Inbreeding ?? :lol:

Gaucho - 1-9-2013 at 04:47 PM

Drinking when your pregnant...

Barry A. - 1-9-2013 at 04:49 PM

---their political orientation!!

Barry

BajaKurtis - 1-9-2013 at 04:54 PM

Cactus Tumors, they are becoming an epidemic of a Bad diet. ;)

Good question, not sure... Bugs, Rot...

Quick search offered a few ideas.

Rot
Rot is caused from fungi and bacteria growing on the plant. The most common reason for rot is watering the cactus too often. The infected spot will have a watery, slimy, black appearance. Rot begins at the base of the cactus and works its way to the top. Rotting plants start to lean, then collapse and die. If rot is detected early, dig up the cactus and replant it in dry soil. Otherwise, remove the cactus from the soil, and cut the healthy top away from the diseased part. Allow the top to dry, and dust the cut surface with a fungicide before replanting it in sandy soil.

Insects
Insects eating the stem of the cactus can weaken the plant and cause it to lean. A plant infested with mealy bugs will stop growing and take on a sickly, deformed appearance. Mealy bugs should be removed with tweezers or a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. Ants nesting at the base of the cactus eat away at the stem causing it to lean and eventually fall over. Wash away the ants with a strong, lukewarm stream of water. A cactus weakened by insects may develop fungi and rot and will die if not treated.

Barry A. - 1-9-2013 at 05:04 PM

We have seen some duzy's in Anza-Borrego, but they all appeared pretty healthy, at least thru my untrained eyes. They sure are interesting to look at.

barry

Skipjack Joe - 1-9-2013 at 06:12 PM

Couldn't find the answer, but have you seen this:

cactushat.jpg - 48kB

danaeb - 1-9-2013 at 06:36 PM

I think I found your answer:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3448/#b

David K - 1-9-2013 at 06:46 PM

Blanca, that was my photo taken on the road that goes around El Rosario from San Quintin to Los Martires/ Arenoso. The deformity was discussed with more photos of similar cardons posted by others, here on Nomad... I will try and find it... Pappy Jon was one very big (cactus) expert on Nomad ... ?

bacquito - 1-9-2013 at 06:48 PM

Great news, I will keep an eye out for insects and hope for the best!

shari - 1-9-2013 at 06:59 PM

my favorite deformed cactus is this beauty. Anyone know where it is?

We were driving along and I yelled to my amiga to STOP....of course she knows me and is familiar with my whims so she did without question...stop. I grabbed my camera and ran through the desert about 50 yards so I could take a picture of this whale's tail's cactus. I dont think it was overwatered...I liked it so much I made a card out of it.

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by shari]

An Answer!

David K - 1-9-2013 at 07:51 PM

After I posted the cardon photos in Nov., 2005, I asked the same question as Blanca... and it was 'bugdude' who answered:

deformed Cordon?

This giant cardon cactus has produced a branch with abnormal (fasciated), fan-shaped growth, often termed "monstrose" growth form, unlike the normal, cylindrical growth. Such events are quite rare. When this deformation occurs at the top of one of the prominent "arms" it is often referred to as "crested." There is no agreement on what causes the abnormality, but damage from insects or frost are among the possibilities. Once it has been formed, this type of growth is often perpetuated in all the subsequent growth of the branch.

Thanks David K. Always enjoy your photographic posts! Regards to Baja Angel.

David K - 1-9-2013 at 07:55 PM

Here's another along that same road northeast of El Rosario...

mcfez - 1-9-2013 at 08:16 PM

Sort of looks like the yucca-boring weevil results....that happens to the Joshua trees (but it's not). Very cool looking of a cactus!

Frigatebird - 1-9-2013 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb

I'm inexplicably drawn to this monstrose mutant. :lol:

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by Frigatebird]

myrtilocactus geometrizans.jpg - 15kB

coconaco - 1-9-2013 at 08:34 PM

that would be considered a succulent.

Skipjack Joe - 1-9-2013 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coconaco

that would be considered a succulent.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

acadist - 1-9-2013 at 09:44 PM

TOOOOOOO FUUUUUNNNY

monoloco - 1-9-2013 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb

Awesome specimens. Thank you for posting this.

motoged - 1-9-2013 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frigatebird

I'm inexplicably drawn to this monstrose mutant. :lol:

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by Frigatebird]

:biggrin: You guys beat me to it......definitely a succulent :biggrin::biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2013 at 09:04 AM

wow ! great answers all !

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2013 at 09:39 AM

danaeb- that was an excellent link - my head is spinning with all the information on crested vs monstrose.