BajaNomad

spelling and punctuation

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2013 at 09:55 AM

I know I am guilty of typing and not always taking the time to double check the spelling and esp the punctuation but I remembered something interesting I learned when I was studying linguistics.

a man left a will for his kids and worded it thus:

I leave my bank account xyz to Ann, Mark and Susan.

The judge awarded 50% to Ann. 25% Mark. 25% Susan.

Word to self: be careful, ever so careful !

[Edited on 1-10-2013 by BajaBlanca]

micah202 - 1-10-2013 at 10:04 AM

...I don't suppose Ann would see a problem with that:rolleyes:

BajaBlanca - 1-10-2013 at 02:37 PM

:biggrin:

MMc - 1-10-2013 at 05:01 PM

Let's eat Grandma!
Let's eat, Grandma!

:lol:

Lol...Here's mine.

M - 1-10-2013 at 05:33 PM

A woman without her man is nothing

A woman. Without her, man is nothing.

So true. :smug:

M

Sandlefoot - 1-10-2013 at 05:49 PM

Don't stop

Don't, Stop

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by Sandlefoot]

Marc - 1-10-2013 at 06:58 PM

Eat's shoots and leaves. ( A very good book)

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by Marc]

bacquito - 1-10-2013 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by M

M

Great!

watizname - 1-10-2013 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:
Originally posted by M

Which one????????????

M

Great!
:cool:

[Edited on 1-11-2013 by watizname]

watizname - 1-10-2013 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:
Originally posted by M

M

Great! [/quote

Which one??????:cool:

ncampion - 1-11-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by M

M

Wait a minute, which statement is "So true", the first or the second????????????????

vandenberg - 1-11-2013 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Quote:
Originally posted by M

M

Wait a minute, which statement is "So true", the first or the second????????????????

Nick, depends who's side you're on.:biggrin::biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 1-11-2013 at 11:10 AM

An old Benny Hill line:

<Him rubbing against her>

What's this thing called love?
What's this thing called, love?

BajaBlanca - 1-13-2013 at 03:53 PM

:o

Osprey - 1-13-2013 at 07:06 PM

What a forgiving bunch of readers!! You all applaud Bernie's stories but no one has mentioned they are packed with the unforgivable prose errors of tense. In some of his little tales "Joe takes the hay from from the wagon. I remember we followed him to well. Sally shows him how to lift the bales and then we all went down to the river together." Where the hell was Bernie's editor when he needed him? Where is the editor now when all of you seem to need him?

My editors send all of that stuff back to me with nasty, nasty notes. I guess if you self publish, it's all YOYO. You're on Your Own.

Hi my friend...Osprey

Baja Bernie - 1-13-2013 at 07:55 PM

Golly! I have been gone from this board for months and suddenly my admirer, Osprey, is pounding me...why because I refused to publish his ghoulish and morbid prose. And because he decided that I did not have the latest system because I was not using WORD PERFECT. What a wonderful guy!

Osprey is correct in that I do not feel myself bound by silly and formal rules of writing...No! I write as we all speak and I always will because it is an honest and interesting way to communicate.
I would suggest that you self-publish and even then I believe you would get nasty notes...So sad!

CortezBlue - 1-13-2013 at 08:48 PM

Why everyone on this site is arguing about spelling and grammar, I am going to listen to my idols, Carlos and Willie, and I'm goin' to Mexico

Adios

PlanB - 1-14-2013 at 06:07 PM

Capitalization

(This from a retired teacher)

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more
people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art
of capitalization. For those of you who fall into this category,
please take note of the following statement:

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?

M - 1-15-2013 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Golly! I have been gone from this board for months and suddenly my admirer, Osprey, is pounding me...why because I refused to publish his ghoulish and morbid prose. And because he decided that I did not have the latest system because I was not using WORD PERFECT. What a wonderful guy!

Osprey is correct in that I do not feel myself bound by silly and formal rules of writing...No! I write as we all speak and I always will because it is an honest and interesting way to communicate.
I would suggest that you self-publish and even then I believe you would get nasty notes...So sad!

Ah Bernie,
We will NEVER agree politically, your a pill, of course, HOWEVER, I support you in that, Baja writers are not bound by anal collegian, correct prose, that take the absolute awe and ooo out of an adventure, by adhearing to a correct rule of paragraphic correctness.
I am familiar with your writing, admire you and agree most heartily that you are an expert in expelling correctness with the spirit of adventure, to tell a tale.
Bravo Bernie, I miss you.:bounce:

M

Baja Bernie - 1-15-2013 at 09:42 PM

We always had the stories of Baja to bind us together...no one was at fault when you said what you did based upon my beliefs.

Perhaps one day we can get our minds back together in enjoying our Baja...Hoping you will get settled so that I can introduce you to my Jaime.

Sorry things have not been good for you...but you must admit that anything was better than the physical problems that swept ove you ovver the years.

Miss you too!

Bernie,

M - 1-15-2013 at 10:34 PM

You're always a fine and gracious man, and I am looking forward to meeting the world famous, gentile, Jamie...
It warms me always to see and hear of a man who can express openly, the love and merits of a good woman. For that alone, you have my respects.
BIG HUGS,
M

Hi, y'all (Note Southern American Colloquial)

Gypsy Jan - 1-15-2013 at 10:54 PM

I haven't followed this debate very closely, but I would like to contribute to it from our own experience.

1) Mexico is ruled by the heritage of Napoleonic laws.

2) As a result, Mexico is ruled by a crippling bureaucracy that justifies its existence by its truculence.

3) Our fedeicomiso was denied certification because, in our application, we didn't spell fideicomiso accurately.

So there you have it.

Bad Spellers of Baja Nomads, Untie!

Pompano - 1-16-2013 at 10:21 AM

Requiem for spelliing-challenged posters

If an S and an I and an O and a U
With an X at the end spell Su;
And an E and a Y and an E spell I,
Pray what is a speller to do?

Then, if also an S and an I and a G
And an HED spell side,
There's nothing much left for a speller to do
But to go commit siouxeyesighed.