BajaNomad

Good Bye to a Beloved Friend

Gypsy Jan - 1-16-2013 at 02:27 PM

A Letter from Diego, the Rottweiler, to Dad and Mom

“Do you see the way my dark brown eyes look at yours? They are slightly cloudy now. That comes with age.

The gray hairs are beginning to ring my soft muzzle. You smile at me; I see love in your eyes.

What do you see in mine? Do you see a spirit, a soul inside who loves you as no other could in the world? That is all I ask.

And still the love is always there, even when we take that long sleep, to run free in distant lands.”

Diego peacefully passed over the Rainbow Bridge this morning at 4:00 am. His quality of life was good up to the last and when he passed, he was with family.

[Edited on 1-17-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

bacquito - 1-16-2013 at 02:30 PM

Sorry for your loss:(

DENNIS - 1-16-2013 at 03:01 PM

I pray more for dogs than people. This will be no exception.

DEP Diego.

jbcoug - 1-16-2013 at 03:03 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, but grateful for the time you had to share with your friend.

John

Keri - 1-16-2013 at 03:42 PM

Sorry for your loss. I know your animals are your babies just like mine. They will all be waiting for you over that rainbow bridge.Remembering him will keep him alive inyour heart.k

Gypsy Jan

captkw - 1-16-2013 at 03:48 PM

I'm sorry for your loss..A big Hug from Me & Tasha ...I belive that when you, cross over he will greet you with kisses and wags.....God bless.....

[Edited on 1-17-2013 by captkw]

Washing the Ears of the Other Dogs

Gypsy Jan - 1-16-2013 at 04:10 PM

Was Diego's thing.

This morning, the two new Rottie puppies that were literally given away by a stranger to my husband on the sidewalk outside the vet's office during Diego's last visit in November, washed the ears of the other dogs for the first time.

I asked the puppies if Diego had taught them - so far, no answer.

grace59 - 1-16-2013 at 06:10 PM

So sorry for your loss of Diego. It is always painful to lose one of your furry children. My thoughts are with you.

measomsan - 1-16-2013 at 06:47 PM

so sorry

Marc - 1-16-2013 at 07:14 PM

All dogs go to heaven

DENNIS - 1-16-2013 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
All dogs go to heaven

Yep. They have souls too.

Pompano - 1-16-2013 at 07:35 PM

They give us unconditional love....and we repay in kind. Memories are made of this.

DianaT - 1-16-2013 at 07:40 PM

Diego was a lucky, lucky dog to have had such a great home full of love for all living creatures.

He will be at the rainbow bridge cleaning the ears of so many other loved pets waiting for their loving humans.

It is so sad, just so sad when they leave us. My thoughts are with you.

Diana

Bob H - 1-16-2013 at 07:57 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our dogs are very much part of the family. I'm sure you have many, many fond memories of Diego.

liknbaja127 - 1-16-2013 at 08:11 PM

I'm sure most of us have been there I know I have way too many times. So sorry for the loss of your best friend.

Paulina - 1-16-2013 at 09:15 PM

Ditto what everyone else posted. I'm very sorry. Sometimes you think you just can't do it anymore, then the next one finds you.

P>*)))>{

Neal Johns - 1-16-2013 at 09:53 PM

Gypsy Jan, our three rescued Husky's are around ten, bad days are coming. Really sorry about your loss.
Neal

Thank You Everyone for Your Kind Remarks

Gypsy Jan - 1-16-2013 at 10:25 PM

I hesitated about posting this; I wondered who cares about a dog they have never met?

You have helped the hurt in my heart and I thank you.

GJ

Sweetwater - 1-16-2013 at 10:40 PM

Somebody may have seen this elsewhere but it's worth the repeat for me...and I hope for you:

I really feel your pain.

I always said that I would get (re) married if I could only find a woman who could give me the unconditional love that my dog never failed to provide.

Well, I found her, she stole my dogs heart and it is a huge loss in both our lives that he can not be here with us....30 years later.

He truly was my oldest son.

We used to backpack together, he carried his own stash of food and I had to Ductape his paws after he chased some mountain sheep a few miles through the talus, but who could blame him, he was such a puppy then.....

BajaBlanca - 1-17-2013 at 01:59 PM

our Rex is so spoiled ................ his dad gives him goodies every day with his meal. specially prepared goodies.

and we are so spoiled too, he welcomes every single visitor as if you were his long lost friend ! he prods and pokes and gets pets from everybody, no exceptions in his world of perfection.

good of you to post and may your pooch RIP.

DavidE - 1-17-2013 at 03:50 PM

Who Cares For A Dog They Have Never Met?

The joy, the devotion and unflagging loyalty of a "best buddy" needs no interpretation. The only consolation I have ever had grieving for a departed buddy is knowing in my heart I gave them the very best life they could have asked for. Only a dog-lover I guess knows what I am trying to express. My condolences

scouter - 1-17-2013 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
All dogs go to heaven

Yep. They have souls too.

yep I have cried over a few myself.....

DianaT - 1-17-2013 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I hesitated about posting this; I wondered who cares about a dog they have never met?

You have helped the hurt in my heart and I thank you.

GJ

Ah yes, so many of us care about the dog never met because we know so well the beautiful and unconditional love that dog gave to its human companions, and the pain of losing our precious fur friends. It just hurts so very much.

No matter how many dogs follow and are equally loved, the lost fur baby still occupies a part of our heart and will never be forgotten.

So while I never met your precious Diego, I just know he was special.

MY Thoughts

captkw - 1-17-2013 at 08:55 PM

As a Bigtime dog Dude..I think all us dog folks as Diana,,David and others,, shared also know/feel for anyone that looses a dog..At least I do in my small mind...I'll take the hole bar on in a fistfight..but get red eyes when I start thinking of my dogs that have crossed That Big Rainbow...lets not forget..Dogs & dog & baja folks are very,very speciel !!..Guess some get it,,and some dont!!! I'll never forget when a Vet that was about to retire..Looked me in the eye and said " I understand son,,I've found in my practice that most folks are closer to their, dog than their spouse" MANS BEST FRIEND ( & Ladys)

BajaGringo - 1-18-2013 at 08:35 AM

So sorry Jan- we recently had to put down our Dakota after nearly 16 years shared as a member of our family. I know the pain and loss you are going through and extend our most sincere condolences.

Thanks to All Nomads

Gypsy Jan - 1-18-2013 at 01:41 PM

Who expressed their condolences and shared their own rememberances.

Just one last post - I received a personal email of condolence from the family of "Pickles", the Great Dane that was lost a few years ago when their trailer overturned on in central Baja on a road in the East Cape, in a very desolate area.

For what it is worth, I have always pictured Pickles finding a new home with other dogs on a ranch and running free in the Baja landscape.

[Edited on 1-18-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

toneart - 1-19-2013 at 07:25 AM

My heart grieves for all people who have lost their doggie pals. They each have their own souls and personalities. We can never forget them. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jan.

jeans - 1-20-2013 at 08:15 PM

Our pets worm their way into our hearts as only an animal can, and tears fall freer when they die than they do for humans. Yes, we care that Diego will no longer look at you with unconditional love in his eyes.

OH...SHOOT...

M - 1-20-2013 at 09:12 PM

I am SO sorry, for the pain you Are going through, but really, You know, we love you, and yours. There is no greater support available, than this board, and the people on it. After 10 years, I came back, and here they are, still there... always.

Such it is for you...and your loved ones, even the fuzzy ones that have passed.
Your participation here is a legacy...and so are the loved ones in your life. How lucky we are to have this special little secret that the 'normal' world can't imagine. We are 'Nomad'. We care. Our pets, our mates, our friends, are all considered and valued here. We get it. We understand your loss. Please, keep in touch, get another, 'baby' in your life, fill us in.
'M'.

umpqua - 1-24-2013 at 04:14 PM

Sorry for your loss. Dogs just don't live long enough. Daisy never could catch a rabbit. Maybe she is having better luck in heaven.......