BajaNomad

a better week in Baja there never was..... PICS added

woody with a view - 1-18-2013 at 09:02 PM

I got some waves last Sunday. Caught a grip of 4# calicos. Left that place and withstood 2 days of howling winds in Asuncion. Then the weather changed and we were able to meet a bunch of cool peeps and actually got on the water today to stretch some Yellowtail lips. Finished it off with a feast at the beach house attended by a dozen or so Nomads.

Tomorrow we will be doing a 3 hour tour off the highway to snatch some more waves after lunch. Should be pulling in to Rosario after dark and crossing the border by noon.... Don't drive after dark UNLESS you have offroad lights, then you'll know better!

Life is good! Pics next week!!!

[Edited on 1-20-2013 by woody with a view]

elgatoloco - 1-18-2013 at 09:07 PM

Muy bueno. :cool:

Nice birthday trip.

vgabndo - 1-18-2013 at 09:10 PM

Sounds like the Trifecta! Good on ya'!

Skipjack Joe - 1-18-2013 at 09:13 PM

It's great to hear that your vacation is turning out so well.

BTW, what's a peep?

willardguy - 1-18-2013 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
It's great to hear that your vacation is turning out so well.

BTW, what's a peep?
peep=people:)

dtbushpilot - 1-18-2013 at 09:26 PM

That feast at the beach house sounds like it might have been fun, wish I was there.....Oh, wait, maybe I was.....

It was great to meet you and Bia, hope you have a safe trip north and I anticipate an epic day on the water tomorrow....

Ateo - 1-18-2013 at 09:37 PM

I want some photos Mr.

Stoked to hear it's going well.

Drive safe.

shari - 1-18-2013 at 09:58 PM

a feast indeed...a great team of cooks...DT put the shrimp-bobs on the barbey...seared and BBQ fresh yellowtail...vino galore, cold cerveza....and pretty cool to see nomads meeting face to face....simply another great day in Asuncion.

Tomorrow...shrimp taco day....wooo hoooo!

toneart - 1-19-2013 at 07:41 AM

Woody,

I hope you can get on the waves here at home. The BIG ones are here, or will be here shortly. They should be big in Baja (Pacific) too!

HALF MOON BAY -- The same ocean conditions that will yield the Mavericks Invitational will cause dangerous surf conditions in the Bay Area this weekend, and officials are urging beachgoers to be cautious.

The National Weather Service has issued a high surf advisory from 10 a.m. Saturday to 4 p.m. Sunday, leading the Coast Guard and National Park Service to warn people who visit area beaches or operate boats near the shore to be careful.

Officials are predicting waves as high as 8 to 10 feet. People who walk along the beach should stay away from the water line and never turn their back on the ocean.

Some beaches, such as those in Point Reyes National Seashore, are prone to "sneaker" waves -- strong

Iflyfish - 1-19-2013 at 03:10 PM

I'm a peep. Great to finally meet you, Bia, and a DT sighting to boot. Don't get much better than that amigo! Succulent shrimp, fresh hamachi grill, chili rellenos and a killer quinoa salad plus a whole lot of Baja stories. Life is good in the slooow lane!

IflyfishconmipeepsinAsuncion

shari - 1-19-2013 at 03:15 PM

and here are the happy couple stretching some fish lips...you two rock...so nice to see you two holding hands at the party...or was that to keep Bia from the lecherous dtBUSHpilot?

walters886 - 1-19-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Woody,

I hope you can get on the waves here at home. The BIG ones are here, or will be here shortly. They should be big in Baja (Pacific) too!

HALF MOON BAY -- The same ocean conditions that will yield the Mavericks Invitational will cause dangerous surf conditions in the Bay Area this weekend, and officials are urging beachgoers to be cautious.

The National Weather Service has issued a high surf advisory from 10 a.m. Saturday to 4 p.m. Sunday, leading the Coast Guard and National Park Service to warn people who visit area beaches or operate boats near the shore to be careful.

Officials are predicting waves as high as 8 to 10 feet. People who walk along the beach should stay away from the water line and never turn their back on the ocean.

Some beaches, such as those in Point Reyes National Seashore, are prone to "sneaker" waves -- strong

Toneart - Interesting that you mention the Maverick's surf competition and the wave warnings. Here's the NWS weather/ocean forecast for tonight and Sunday:

PZZ560-200530-
PIGEON POINT TO POINT PINOS TO 10 NM-
209 PM PST SAT JAN 19 2013

TONIGHT
NE WINDS 5 KT...BECOMING E 5 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL
5 TO 7 FT AT 20 SECONDS.

SUN
N WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT AT 18 SECONDS.

It’s one of those ocean curiosities that while the conditions are building for the surf competition on the reef at Pillar Point and dangerous near shore it’s hardly noticeable when you’re out on the ocean. The NWS forecast of 5 to 7ft swells, at 18-20 seconds period and a favorable tide, makes for near perfect conditions for pulling my string dungeness crab traps. Then all I have to do is make sure I'm back in the harbor by kickoff time. Go 49er’s!

Udo - 1-19-2013 at 07:01 PM

WOODY>>>

You really make me jealous

Wish we would have been there for the feast.
Net year fer sure!!

Mexitron - 1-19-2013 at 08:31 PM

Like.

Mexitron - 1-19-2013 at 08:31 PM

Like.

Bajaboy - 1-19-2013 at 08:48 PM

Woody, glad you enjoyed yourself.:tumble:

acadist - 1-19-2013 at 09:32 PM

Sounds like a great time !

vgabndo - 1-19-2013 at 09:49 PM

Bia, Darlin'. it takes some Tecate style CHARACTOR to wear a shirt that says what I'm guessing your does!:P:P:P Love it!

Stickers - 1-19-2013 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Bia, Darlin'. it takes some Tecate style CHARACTOR to wear a shirt that says what I'm guessing your does!:P:P:P Love it!

:lol::lol::lol:

dtbushpilot - 1-19-2013 at 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
and here are the happy couple stretching some fish lips...you two rock...so nice to see you two holding hands at the party...or was that to keep Bia from the lecherous dtBUSHpilot?

If woody was protecting bia from that bushpilot dude wouldn't he have been holding bushpilot's hand? Who was protecting who from who?....just asking....

David K - 1-19-2013 at 11:10 PM

Somebody likes Joe's Crab Shack!

Skipjack Joe - 1-20-2013 at 01:00 AM

Quote:

Just keep her out of fishbuck's reach. He's back. Hide the womenfolk!

Regarding the yellowtail: yes, those lips have been stretched.

bajaandy - 1-20-2013 at 06:51 AM

Well Woody, you put in your dues and ya got a pay-off. Good on ya, mate!

Pacifico - 1-20-2013 at 09:23 AM

Quote:

Good times! Looks rough out there! :lol:

Who was handling the gaff?

Santiago - 1-20-2013 at 10:41 AM

[img][/img]
Not that I haven't done much, much worse.

toneart - 1-20-2013 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by walters886
Quote:
Woody,

Toneart - Interesting that you mention the Maverick's surf competition and the wave warnings. Here's the NWS weather/ocean forecast for tonight and Sunday:

PZZ560-200530-
PIGEON POINT TO POINT PINOS TO 10 NM-
209 PM PST SAT JAN 19 2013

TONIGHT
NE WINDS 5 KT...BECOMING E 5 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL
5 TO 7 FT AT 20 SECONDS.

SUN
N WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT AT 18 SECONDS.

It’s one of those ocean curiosities that while the conditions are building for the surf competition on the reef at Pillar Point and dangerous near shore it’s hardly noticeable when you’re out on the ocean. The NWS forecast of 5 to 7ft swells, at 18-20 seconds period and a favorable tide, makes for near perfect conditions for pulling my string dungeness crab traps. Then all I have to do is make sure I'm back in the harbor by kickoff time. Go 49er’s!

Last night's TV weather report (KCRA Sacramento) said that waves could get up to 20' today. :o Police are determined to keep people away from the shoreline in Half Moon Bay. The sudden surges are very dangerous. Go Niners, indeed!

woody with a view - 1-20-2013 at 12:32 PM

we powered thru as the surf was (guessed-imated) pretty small. Turns out we were righ at san miguel was flat at dark. 14 hours door to door with 2 hours at ready lane in otay. last night my bed felt so goood!

as for the gaff job, i'll tell you the one about the seal that i caught on a rapala on that trip, someday. got the lure back too!!!:biggrin:

edit: fotos, more later.

can you say tequila cream sauce and clam pasta?

one week ago today.

McDonald's has arches, but some arches have soul....

[Edited on 1-20-2013 by woody with a view]

Santiago - 1-20-2013 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
as for the gaff job, i'll tell you the one about the seal that i caught on a rapala on that trip, someday. got the lure back too!!!:biggrin:

A couple of years ago I'm jigging blue and white salas at the 90' spot off Horsehead, catching 12# yellowtails or bonitas everyother drop. On the the 10th drop or so I get another fish and half way up I get slammed - rod practiclly jerked out of my hands. I had the Penn Baja Special spooled with 80# Mono from you-know-where and I cranked the drags as hard as I could. The catch started down and then straight out and surfacing. Normally you can get some line in by taking the bend out of the line but not this case; just kept peeling off. About 150 yards away a large bull seal surfaced with my blue and white salas in its mouth, snorted, barked at me, dove and started swiming away pulling off line the whole time.
Not wanting to find out how good my arbor knot was I cut the line.

there is sooo much going on in this shot!

woody with a view - 1-21-2013 at 09:53 PM

the coyote looking at me looking at him looking at me.
the shoulder and then the lack of same.
the background boulder field.
the crappy pavement.

400 miles south and heading for more.

big jelly fish found along the horse racing beach. there were many.

can you say FISH ON!!!!

Skipjack Joe - 1-22-2013 at 12:23 AM

Quote:

The sudden surges are very dangerous. Go Niners, indeed!

Indeed, they went!

And now for, as they say, the "Big Dance".

Woody !!

captkw - 1-22-2013 at 12:30 AM

Awesome cat/coy shot !! Cool !!

BajaBlanca - 1-22-2013 at 02:29 AM

all your pics are way cool ! what a fun trip ! let us know next time and we shall sneak up to asuncion to pay you guys a visit.

shari - 1-22-2013 at 08:55 AM

Here is another one of those jellyfish like you saw...I call this guy Darth Vader!!!

The kids have been surfing the great wave next to our house the last couple days...it only got about 8-9' but was the perfect angle into the cove.

boe4fun - 1-22-2013 at 09:17 AM

Woody - great report.
Shari - looks like a Rorschach test.

Ateo - 1-22-2013 at 09:23 AM

Tequila cream sauce and clam pasta sounds very nice.

TMW - 1-22-2013 at 12:16 PM

Wow great

pappy - 1-22-2013 at 06:42 PM

good on ya woody!

woody with a view - 1-22-2013 at 08:13 PM

On the way towards Vizcaino we came across this bunch of baseball players who's van had a flat. The guy didn't have the right lug wrench so I broke out my deep well sockets.

Plus 1 in the positive Karma ledger!

Skipjack Joe - 1-22-2013 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
On the way towards Vizcaino we came across this bunch of baseball players who's van had a flat. The guy didn't have the right lug wrench so I broke out my deep well sockets.

Plus 1 in the positive Karma ledger!

Yet another reason to visit asuncion , pitchers mounds abound everywhere.