BajaNomad

and the wetsuits are here ! UPDATE wih projects 3/27/13

BajaBlanca - 1-28-2013 at 08:05 PM

Part 1 of the wetsuits arrived in town today and I took them to the middle school where I divvied them up between the 7th 8th and 9th graders ... those who get on the honor roll will be able to put their names in a hat and win them ... all teachers are offerring extra afternoon classes in an effort to help the kids.

The first pic is of Eduardo - look at the gentleness with which he holds the wetsuit .....

There was some wax that I gave 2 to the students who got some answers correct on an activity.

It was one of the best days I have had in a long time.

Thanks to those who made it happen ..... from the bottom of my heart.

[Edited on 1-29-2013 by BajaBlanca]

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Bajaboy - 1-28-2013 at 08:26 PM

Who donated the suits?:light:

Ateo - 1-28-2013 at 08:34 PM

Stoked to see some suits being put to use. Make sure they know how to swim before paddling those epic waves in the area!!!

[Edited on 1-29-2013 by Ateo]

mcfez - 1-28-2013 at 11:10 PM

Some sort of game show for you Bajaboy?

The question really is this: who didn't offer to donate the suits: Bajaboy!

Stop being an azz here and do something worth while.

Our suits are here waiting to be picked up here soon....as arranged :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

[Edited on 1-29-2013 by mcfez]

JohnMcfrog - 1-29-2013 at 06:33 AM

Great pictures. You and Les (and the contributors) are making a difference.

Juanito

wetsuits

captkw - 1-29-2013 at 06:45 AM

Wow,,went to edit my post here and it got zapped,,Gone.....being that I live in santa cruz ca and Baja..in san

Bajaboy - 1-29-2013 at 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Quote:

Settle down Little Richard...I don't need to get on a soap box and talk about my generosity. It just seems to me that proper credit should be given here.

:spingrin:

mcfez - 1-29-2013 at 07:58 AM

"....I don't need to get on a soap box and talk about my generosity"

But you will make insinuations about others........you got a bone to pick with me....take it to the Off Topics where it belongs........and stop being such a little worm.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Quote:

Settle down Little Richard...I don't need to get on a soap box and talk about my generosity. It just seems to me that proper credit should be given here.

:spingrin:

BajaBlanca - 1-29-2013 at 09:06 AM

the suits were donated by Paranewbe and onemoeplease

I still am in awe at the generosity when neither of them even know me

and you can see how happy those kids were, they were just astounded

those suits are in tip top condition and yesterday's lesson was on clothes - suits, wetsuits, sweatshirts, skirts ....

These kids know how to swim, most of them, and if they don't, these suits are sure motivation. Maybe we get a worldclass surfer leaving La Bocana? You never know. Gracias ALL.

Please take all bickering off-topic. Please. If it ain't nice, don't post it. Period.

and that being said - have a grand day and may we all dream about kids having fun on big waves tonite!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

UnoMas - 1-29-2013 at 03:05 PM

How cool Blanca! There must be a lot of wet suits out there that Nomads have that do not fit or use anymore.;D

BajaBlanca - 1-29-2013 at 04:44 PM

With this and mcfez's donation coming soon, we are good to go. Please take other suits (if you have them) to bahia asuncion as there are MANY surfers there too.

I actually need magazines for art projects, so if you have any extras, please leave them at CRUCERO DEL PACIFICO RESTAURANT at the turnoff to Punta Abreojos. Won't take you more than 5 minutes and it will help me oodles. If possible, put in a bag or box and label BLANCA LA BOCANA. Gracias.

[Edited on 3-29-2013 by BajaBlanca]

onemoreplease - 1-31-2013 at 04:04 PM

BajaBlanca, We will stop in on the up. also have a kids surfboard 5'10" fish to kick down.
and maybe more
:bounce:

jbcoug - 1-31-2013 at 06:39 PM

Blanca, what kind of magazines do you need?

John

paranewbi - 1-31-2013 at 07:51 PM

ONEMOREPLEASE...keep us posted on your travels!

Glad you came by, but I might think about doing this ever again, It was hard to watch you go where I wish I was going !

Really BajaBlanca, glad the kids enjoy...now how about sending down some snorkel gear for those flat days?

BajaBlanca - 1-31-2013 at 08:16 PM

John - magazines with lots of pictures in them-any picture - people - animals - kids -things. It's all useful to me! thanks. BTW some Angel did make a donaton of pens, pencils, paper and magazines a while ago at the crossroadrestaurant and never left their name ??? THANKS, whoever you are !!

BajaBlanca - 3-27-2013 at 06:10 PM

so, after quite a while of being away on grandababy visiting trips etc. It is time again to post the goodies being handed out ... thanks go to John McFrog and wife Kathy, who brought wetsuits and pens and pencils and even a surfboard !!

so, here are some of the projects over the last couple weeks: this one used crayons / pencils to express their version of cubism (Picasso) - for each artist, we discuss his life and accomplishments so as to combine English and art:

This was their version of Rene Magritte and surrealism:

and this was another Picasso day where they learned about collages:

and I made brownies and offered a party for all those who had an A average overall in every subject:

One of those trophies is for Pedro, a 9th grader, who got FIRST place in all of Baja Sur in a written test on English - math - Science. Boy, was I ever pleased !

And this has to be the most fun of all ... handling out pencils and pens and crayons when they have an exceptionally good cooperative and productive day:

For some reason, I can't get the last 2 photos to load, but you get the picture, right ? Thanks everyone, my gratitude is eternal for your help.

Ohhh I for got to mention that the honor roll students got to put their names in a hat and 2 lucky winners in each class was to receive a wetsuit! I left early for semana santa vacation, so I have no photos .....

and McFez - I requested that your donated wetsuit for Eduardo be GIVEN to him and his family on report card day. He was the one who started the whole wetsuit gig and he begged me every day for one - I had told him to get an A average overall, and he did !! I swear, the kid drove me bonkers with his begging.

I will most likely be giving the skimboards/surfboard as prizes in 2 months when they have the next report card day.

Ateo - 3-27-2013 at 06:40 PM

Thanks for the update. I love collages.

BajaBlanca - 3-27-2013 at 09:11 PM

You are most welcome.

BajaBlanca - 3-27-2013 at 09:14 PM

I have a great story to share. Three weeks ago I was asked to sub for the English teacher at the high school here in town. I prepared some neat classes based on what the regular teacher had left for me.

After the 11th graders class, half of them came up and shook my hand and thanked me for an excellent class.

In all my 30 years of teaching, that was one of my BEST moments.

bajadogs - 3-27-2013 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I have a great story to share. Three weeks ago I was asked to sub for the English teacher at the high school here in town. I prepared some neat classes based on what the regular teacher had left for me.

After the 11th graders class, half of them came up and shook my hand and thanked me for an excellent class.

In all my 30 years of teaching, that was one of my BEST moments.

That is amazing. Great job!!! It looks like it may be time to put some of their art talent on quality paper and frame for sale. Just a thought. I would buy it, especially the Picasso turtle. Thanks for sharing such a great moment!

bajadogs - 3-27-2013 at 09:59 PM

Wow Blanca, I just looked through the art again and there is so much great stuff. Great job!!!

tripledigitken - 3-28-2013 at 06:32 AM

Quote:
so, after quite a while of being away on grandababy visiting trips etc. It is time again to post the goodies being handed out ... thanks go to John McFrog and wife Kathy, who brought wetsuits and pens and pencils and even a surfboard !!

so, here are some of the projects over the last couple weeks: this one used crayons / pencils to express their version of cubism (Picasso) - for each artist, we discuss his life and accomplishments so as to combine English and art:

Bajablanca,

Yissel even drew in a "catch light" in the eye. Did you teach the student that?

Great stuff!

Ken

monoloco - 3-28-2013 at 08:19 AM

Quote:

This was their version of Rene Magritte and surrealism:

and this was another Picasso day where they learned about collages:

and I made brownies and offered a party for all those who had an A average overall in every subject:

One of those trophies is for Pedro, a 9th grader, who got FIRST place in all of Baja Sur in a written test on English - math - Science. Boy, was I ever pleased !

And this has to be the most fun of all ... handling out pencils and pens and crayons when they have an exceptionally good cooperative and productive day:

For some reason, I can't get the last 2 photos to load, but you get the picture, right ? Thanks everyone, my gratitude is eternal for your help.

Ohhh I for got to mention that the honor roll students got to put their names in a hat and 2 lucky winners in each class was to receive a wetsuit! I left early for semana santa vacation, so I have no photos .....

and McFez - I requested that your donated wetsuit for Eduardo be GIVEN to him and his family on report card day. He was the one who started the whole wetsuit gig and he begged me every day for one - I had told him to get an A average overall, and he did !! I swear, the kid drove me bonkers with his begging.

I will most likely be giving the skimboards/surfboard as prizes in 2 months when they have the next report card day.
Wow, I love the turtle1

mcfez - 3-28-2013 at 08:47 AM

BajaBlanca......
The students look happy as a DavidK :-)

The classroom is super clean...the kids are all smiles....their English is really great.....and the artwork will be worth millions some day :-) The teacher...............I am giving you a loud and prolonged applause for being a great person. You got five gold stars on your forehead.

Later this year....I will look for used wetsuits and other beach stuff/classroom needs.....and get it down to the kids.

Perhaps it has been done already and I missed it....I sure would love to see that the whole school looks like.

Quote:

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by mcfez]

BajaBlanca - 3-28-2013 at 10:16 AM

hi Ken, believe it or not, I have zero artistic ability, the eye Yissel made is really nice, she is a star student.

My goal ... I just really like the idea of having the kids create and I try to have them transfer info from another subject. For the collages the kids were asked to create a Mathematical shape (circle, triangle etc.).

A fun moment was when I asked them to write the name of a world-famous person on a piece of paper and one yelled out "Picasso" ! That was another very proud teacher moment. One month ago, none of them knew who Picasso was.

BajaBlanca - 3-28-2013 at 10:26 AM

McFez - you guys are the stars....really. I love n need classroom stuff. white board markers, crayons, magazines, pens, pencils and individual pencil sharpeners. And maybe you all have some other ideas of creative items the kids will love.

I would not be able to make smiles and reach for the stars without your help.

IMO, Bahia Asuncion is a great place to donate wetsuits because they have an up and running, longterm surfers club. The older ones can teach the littler ones how to surf. They are aware of how important it is to preserve the beaches and this is vital around these parts. Hope you agree, McFez.

JohnMcfrog - 3-28-2013 at 06:57 PM

Great kids, glad to help. You are the Power!

Udo - 4-1-2013 at 04:04 PM

Just about every yard sale I go to in the OC, there is a wet suit for sale for next to nothing.

I'll be in BA late June and early July. There are a few dozen wet suits I'll bring down to Shari's place.

Whale-ista - 4-1-2013 at 06:28 PM

Blanca, thanks for photos and updates. Students look happy and engaged.

And Congrats on feedback from ESL students; it is my favorite topic to teach. I'll try to get more books.

Lori