BajaNomad

Have you tried this lure?

Pompano - 2-5-2013 at 10:28 AM

i'm currently shopping for all kinds of shore tackle for (hopefully) an upcoming trip to exploring surf-fishing spots in sunny Baja Sur.

(Gawd, after the Oregon Coast, I NEED warm sunny days on the beach!)

My day-dreams look like this:

But I've fished enough to not be surprised when some fish will try to eat things way too big for their bellies. And Yes, it's indeed true what can be said about fishermen recounting their prowness to sweethearts and buddies...in Reality not ALL the fish we catch are lunkers...sigh. Nevertheless, it's all fun. :spingrin:

HERE'S MY QUESTION FOR SURF-FISHERMEN.

Below is one of today's purchases...a 'Surface Tension' brand casting lure. I bought a couple each of 2 oz and 3 oz. Colors are white/red and chartreuse/silver.

My question is: Has anybody here used them? And...did you catch any fish, and if so, what?

WHAT SAY YOU?

Russ - 2-5-2013 at 11:10 AM

I haven't had much luck lately so I switched over to the never fail Peso Lure.:o

$20 Peso.jpg - 47kB

Pompano - 2-5-2013 at 11:18 AM

And just 'where' do you cast that lure, Russ? :saint:

MMc - 2-5-2013 at 11:37 AM

I seems to work for Pompano. Not sure how it will work fish in Mexico.:tumble:
I does look fishy.

vandenberg - 2-5-2013 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I haven't had much luck lately so I switched over to the never fail Peso Lure.:o

Catches mainly filletes.:biggrin::biggrin:

.....and, the larger denominations, cast in a barroom, may come up with a surprising catch.:P:P:saint:

[Edited on 2-5-2013 by vandenberg]

shari - 2-5-2013 at 01:43 PM

Hey amigo...on your shopping spree, can you pick Juan up some XRMAG-30 rapallas por favor...blue mackeral type are his favorite and green ones for cloudy days.

Pompano - 2-5-2013 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Hey amigo...on your shopping spree, can you pick Juan up some XRMAG-30 rapallas por favor...blue mackeral type are his favorite and green ones for cloudy days.

Bonjour mon cheri,

No problema, I already have some in my trolling gear ...and can get Juan's choice of color manana. How many does he want?

Here are the colors available.

Will post pics of same here..in between the inevitable Nomad jokes. ;)

[Edited on 2-5-2013 by Pompano]

Skipjack Joe - 2-5-2013 at 02:22 PM

The bonito one worked just as well for us. They're not cheap.

shari - 2-5-2013 at 02:23 PM

they have to be the X-Rap 30's...bug buggers....that silver mackeral one for sure...maybe 3 of each the blue and the green....the sealions are getting some of his! and there are still big YT around and he's plum out of XRMAGs...dang....merci beaucoup mon cheri

Russ - 2-5-2013 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
And just 'where' do you cast that lure, Russ? :saint:

Sometimes right out the back door and others anywhere around fish camp. Yes, sometimes you have to load up a fist full for a big one. Works well for scollops, almajas, and camarones as well as fish. Weather conditions, tides and moon faze don't seem to effect the action much.

baitcast - 2-5-2013 at 03:49 PM

Never saw one of those but who knows,as always I would suggest a few Kastmasters,blue/chrome and green/chrome weight would depend on the outfit your using,K/M,s they were first designed for Stripers and Bluefish on the east coast so distance is not a problem.

People don,t realize the many actions you can use with these things,west side slow to med fast with a jog every now and then don,t be surprised if you get hit right after the jog,east side fast to a burn,the Texas whip with several variations,everything is faster on the east side.

never use a swivel on a K/M kills the action,use the lightest line your comfortable with,more small fish on the beach so you must be in shape for that run down the beach with a biggie.

A couple of poppers would be nice for that topwater bite when they are right in front of you,wish I could join you would be fun!!
Rob

dtbushpilot - 2-5-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

I chum with these at Anthony's:lol::lol:

Pompano - 2-5-2013 at 04:50 PM

Talking about lures....

I'm going to have to release mi amiga, Colleen, on you.

:bounce::saint::yes:

thefishaholic - 2-5-2013 at 05:28 PM

Don't know the name but my buddy from NJ uses it and has caught Roosters,Toro's and Sierra this year.

Hook - 2-5-2013 at 05:30 PM

Is that a floating/surface lure, Pomp?

chuckie - 2-6-2013 at 04:03 AM

Pomp! The Walleyes are supposed to be BIGGER than the lure...:lol:

Cochi - 2-6-2013 at 10:01 AM

I like the chrome krocs, and its variety of catch. Thanx Baitcast, some k\m will be added to the menu.

Pompano - 2-6-2013 at 10:55 AM

Well, I have a good start. Here's what's on my lure-lust list so far:

1. already bought 'Surface Tension' casting lures in 2 - 3 ounce, white/red and chartreuse/silver

2. with thanks to Baitcast, a selection of Kastmasters and poppers in blue/chrome and green/chrome

3. Cochi's reminder about those great chrome Krocs (will add some more)

4. Of course, now is the time to buy a new rod & reel! Any ideas or favorites tried?

5. And lots of other STUFF

SO MANY LURES, SO LITTLE TIME

Russ - 2-6-2013 at 11:29 AM

I like my Curado 300 and HNG Fenwuck 8 1/2' rod. 30# ProLine with fluorocarbon leader. I use a simple loop to loop splice and have no failures. Keep 10#, 12# & 15# 6' leaders wrapped over a piece of cardboard ready to change for conditions. Beach fishing here 10# is the norm.