BajaNomad

Antonio at Baja Cactus, El Rosario is alive and well!

David K - 2-8-2013 at 05:02 PM

It has been quite awhile since I talked or emailed with Antonio, so it was with great pleasure he contacted me via Facebook message and then by phone (Antonio has sold all the copies of our mission book and would like more).

I told him about the Nomads who tried to use the email to reserve a room (instead of the phone), and his not 'popping in' here as he used to do, so often.

Antonio assured me his info*AT*bajacactus.com email works and he sees it... However, the U.S. phone number rings at the front desk 24/7 and while there may not always be an English speaker on the other end, they should be able to take a reservation. 619-694-1082 (a San Diego number)... or call back when there is an English speaker on duty (El Rosario is not that big of a town of bi-lingual potential employees).

There is much going on at the motel as he is remodeling the lobby, and other things... has about 20 extra workers on the project. His front desk people may say he is 'not there', as he is busy with the construction... It took me about 3 hours to finally get some time with him on the phone. I was calling back (when he asked me to) to chat and ask for reservation information for a future Baja missions tour, where we may need the whole hotel and all 22 rooms!

Anyway, good times I hope for Baja Cactus Tourist Services (Motel and Pemex)!

BAJA CAT and I at the front desk, dropping off a case of Mike Humfreville's books in 2011... photo by 'El Vergel'.

Baja Cactus Pemex (photo by El Vergel)

Udo - 2-8-2013 at 05:05 PM

We stopped by during our trip in December to just say HOLA, but he was not in.

Antonio

bajaguy - 2-8-2013 at 05:19 PM

Tell Antonio to start posting on BN........would be nice to hear from him once in a while and get first hand reports on what is going on.

MexicoTed - 2-8-2013 at 05:40 PM

Stay there every chance I get. But last time (June) they were full in the new rooms. Had to stay in the old ones across from the lobby. Antonio, they need an upgrade. It doesn't have to be perfect like the others, but just a fix up and newer beds would be great.

Still love your place and recommend it.

Jack Swords - 2-8-2013 at 05:43 PM

We missed staying at Baja Cactus a weeks ago as we received no response to several e-mails. Stayed at Jardines and enjoyed it greatly. Two other friends on their way to La Paz for Carnaval couldn't get a response on e-mail either and I gave them the phone number.

The restroom at the gas station is redone, very nice!

David K - 2-8-2013 at 06:41 PM

I told him Jack... he is a one man army and doesn't have enough time in a day.

Bajaboy - 2-8-2013 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I told him Jack... he is a one man army and doesn't have enough time in a day.

Delegate:light:

David K - 2-8-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
Stay there every chance I get. But last time (June) they were full in the new rooms. Had to stay in the old ones across from the lobby. Antonio, they need an upgrade. It doesn't have to be perfect like the others, but just a fix up and newer beds would be great.

I hear that Ted...

Baja Cactus has 8 newer single king rooms, 6 double king rooms, and 2 double rooms with 2 additional single beds in a loft. Then there are 6 older rooms with 2 beds each. The older rooms are much less than the newer ones and are on par with Las Cabanas and Sinahi motels... IMO.

woody with a view - 2-8-2013 at 07:58 PM

kinda creepy title.... just saying.

David K - 2-8-2013 at 08:50 PM

I added the smile face so the title wasn't to be taken for any tragic event. Sorry.

mulegemichael - 2-9-2013 at 07:42 AM

we were there last week and the parking lot was a mud bath and the power grinders ran the entire time we were there as they rebuilt the office....a little gravel would go a long way to making ones experience there better

Pescador - 2-9-2013 at 08:44 AM

I am glad that Antonio is taking a personal checkup on some of the little things around the hotel. Some of the rooms were showing definite signs of wear with toilet that leaked all night, a sink that was broken and leaked, lights that did not work, and the general maintence that is so important. We felt it was slipping in the last year and started spending the night at Los Jardines because of the restaurant and better upkeep.

bajaguy - 2-9-2013 at 09:06 AM

I believe Antonio tries, and does pretty good at running a first class operation. Now that the PEMEX bathrooms are remodeled, and they are working on upgrading the motel, all he needs is a restaurant, nothing fancy, just clean and consistantly good food.......His place would be a one stop location, sorely needed in El Rosario.

David K - 2-9-2013 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I believe Antonio tries, and does pretty good at running a first class operation. Now that the PEMEX bathrooms are remodeled, and they are working on upgrading the motel, all he needs is a restaurant, nothing fancy, just clean and consistantly good food.......His place would be a one stop location, sorely needed in El Rosario.

Agree... and once the motel work is done, he says he will start on the convenience store (which will have a taco shop inside).

The economy has prevented this to take place years ago... and the media-created fear of Mexico hasn't helped either. Daily violence happens all over America... there is a multi-murder manhunt going on in the area I live, now! I am much happier and feel safe in Baja!

rts551 - 2-9-2013 at 05:05 PM

The "newer" rooms need some renovation...just as the lobby does. hey have been around for a while and especially the bathrooms are showing wear.

Barry A. - 2-9-2013 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
The "newer" rooms need some renovation...just as the lobby does. hey have been around for a while and especially the bathrooms are showing wear.

rts--------have you been to Europe lately? (or most other Countries?) "Showing wear" is prevalent everywhere over-seas in my experience.

Renovation is an expensive proposition, for sure. Antonio is doing exceptionally good, IMO, from all reports.

Barry

Marc - 2-9-2013 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed

You are right Ted. The old rooms are a awful. Beds are to old and the rooms cold.

Past Photos of Antonio Muņoz ('BajaCactus')

David K - 2-9-2013 at 06:59 PM

Since this is a thread about him, for the Nomads who have not yet met this dynamic Nomad... here are some taken over a few years time:

First, (when I met him) at jrbaja's home, July 11, 2004:

Antonio and his dad (Antonio Sr.):

Me, Baja Bernia and BajaCactus:

Aug., 2004:
Antonio and I, at CECUT, where he hosted the big party for Nomads called the Baja Cactus Cultural Fiesta, in Tijuana:

Thanksgiving 2004:

On El Rosario's La Bocana beach.

At Mama Espinoza's for 'Baja Turkey' (lobster), with Anthony of the Diamante del Mar project.

Showing me how to eat a pitaya.

May, 2005:

At the El Rosario Community Museum (in El Rosario de Abajo)

Antonio's family was an important part of El Rosario's history.
Both his grandparents' photos are on display.

July, 2005:

Baja Nomads in a group photo at Baja Cactus Motel for the first Baja Rosario Cultural Festival.

July, 2006:

Antonio talks with Anthony and Rob of the Diamante Del Mar project.

With his baby girl.

Nov., 2006 (Viva Baja Cactus Tour of Tijuana):

Phil C and Antonio ('BajaCactus') holding a large plot map of Tijuana that Phil donated to the society.

May, 2007:

'Fishbuck' and 'BajaCactus' (Antonio) of Baja Cactus Tourist Services, El Rosario... at the Pyramid Resort Book Signing

'BajaCactus' (Antonio) chats with Keri who hosts this great annual event!

Little Lorenia and daddy Antonio.
Antonio and family joined us for dinner along with
BajaRob and Connie at the Half Way House.

July, 2007 at the third Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival:

Here is the plaque that Antonio presented to Doug, Baja Nomad, at our Viva Baja Cactus event in 2006:

bajaguy - 2-9-2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Agree... and once the motel work is done, he says he will start on the convenience store (which will have a taco shop inside).

The economy has prevented this to take place years ago... and the media-created fear of Mexico hasn't helped either. Daily violence happens all over America... there is a multi-murder manhunt going on in the area I live, now! I am much happier and feel safe in Baja!

If he expands his c-store a little and puts in some sit down dining with above average food, he could probably corner the market in El Rosario

[Edited on 2-10-2013 by bajaguy]

BajaNomad - 2-9-2013 at 09:49 PM

Quote:

July, 2007 at the third Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival:

From the same event in July 2007:

wilderone - 2-10-2013 at 09:23 AM

"... a future Baja missions tour"
Hope that happens. Be sure Zella has my email address.

David K - 2-10-2013 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"... a future Baja missions tour"
Hope that happens. Be sure Zella has my email address.

She will have a sign up sheet at the conference in Santa Barbara. Would you go again?
Maybe u2u answer?

rts551 - 2-10-2013 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

rts--------have you been to Europe lately? (or most other Countries?) "Showing wear" is prevalent everywhere over-seas in my experience.

Renovation is an expensive proposition, for sure. Antonio is doing exceptionally good, IMO, from all reports.

Barry

when was the last time you were at Baja Cactus?

Barry A. - 2-10-2013 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Exactly, and a good question. I tried to delete that rude comment yesterday but could not figure out how to do it. I was out-of-line. I have never actually stayed at BAJA CACTUS.

I apologise, rts.

Barry

rts551 - 2-10-2013 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Exactly, and a good question. I tried to delete that rude comment yesterday but could not figure out how to do it. I was out-of-line. I have never actually stayed at BAJA CACTUS.

I apologise, rts.

Barry

No problem Barry.
Ralph