BajaNomad

El Dorado Blues (An Atticus Fish Novel)

Paulina - 2-9-2013 at 08:16 PM

As I was cruising around on Amazon for some Kindle material, I came across this title, El Dorado Blues, by Shaun Morey. I wondered if it had anything to do with Baja, and yes, it did. I guess it is the second Baja related book this author has written. This is the blurb from Amazon:

"In the badlands of southern Baja, retired expatriate billionaire Atticus Fish finds himself sabotaging illegal commercial longliners from his one-man submarine, and schooling boneheaded tourists in civility. But when archaeologist Duncan Rigby gets kidnapped while on the trail of the legendary Jesuit Treasure, intrepid PI Toozie McGill enlists Atticus to fire up his seaplane and fly off in pursuit. Finding the archaeologist is one thing; recovering the stolen jewels is something else altogether. Now that word of the Treasure is out, will Atticus and his sideckick, mescal bootlegger Skegs, stand a chance against the deadly wave of treasure hunters who wash up on Baja’s shores?

A delightfully offbeat mystery adventure brimming with colorful characters and local atmosphere, El Dorado Blues will charm readers in the best-selling tradition of Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard, and Jimmy Buffett"

So, I added it to my cart and read it in two, maybe three nights. (a very easy read). It was an ok story, fun to read, not very deep.

My favorite parts of the book were the Afterword and the Acknowledgments by the author, as much to my surprise he mentions Playa Rafael's real life character Pancho, J.W. Black, Erle Stanley Gardner, Choral Pepper, and my favorite baja person, Herman Hill!

I did a search on Nomad to see if anyone had read any of this authors work and came up empty.

Has anyone checked this book out, or the other title, "Wahoo Rhapsody"? Shaun Morey writes like he knows baja, and being that baja is such a small world at times, I was wondering if any Nomads know him?

P.>*)))>{

woody with a view - 2-9-2013 at 08:18 PM

nope. but i'll check them out!

edit: just bought them both....

[Edited on 2-10-2013 by woody with a view]

Pescador - 2-10-2013 at 09:49 AM

This turned out to be one of the worst books I have read in recent years. His experience of Baja is not very perceptive and reeks of looking at Baja from "Shut up Franks" level of experience. The characters while fun in their descriptions, were not very believable or real and rang of cheap interpretations. I did a review on Amazon and suggested that there were much better books to spend one's time on. The whole thing left me feeling very flat and empty, but the teasers came on with a lot of interest since it was a fiction of Baja Characters. Out own Osprey could have taken this story and turned it in to something of real attention grabbing interest and literary depth, but this guy needs to go back to hucking timeshares in Cabo.

Here's what he looks like

durrelllrobert - 2-10-2013 at 10:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs_c-6sW_UU

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
As I was cruising around on Amazon for some Kindle material, I came across this title, El Dorado Blues, by Shaun Morey. I wondered if it had anything to do with Baja, and yes, it did. I guess it is the second Baja related book this author has written. This is the blurb from Amazon:

"In the badlands of southern Baja, retired expatriate billionaire Atticus Fish finds himself sabotaging illegal commercial longliners from his one-man submarine, and schooling boneheaded tourists in civility. But when archaeologist Duncan Rigby gets kidnapped while on the trail of the legendary Jesuit Treasure, intrepid PI Toozie McGill enlists Atticus to fire up his seaplane and fly off in pursuit. Finding the archaeologist is one thing; recovering the stolen jewels is something else altogether. Now that word of the Treasure is out, will Atticus and his sideckick, mescal bootlegger Skegs, stand a chance against the deadly wave of treasure hunters who wash up on Baja’s shores?

A delightfully offbeat mystery adventure brimming with colorful characters and local atmosphere, El Dorado Blues will charm readers in the best-selling tradition of Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard, and Jimmy Buffett"

So, I added it to my cart and read it in two, maybe three nights. (a very easy read). It was an ok story, fun to read, not very deep.

My favorite parts of the book were the Afterword and the Acknowledgments by the author, as much to my surprise he mentions Playa Rafael's real life character Pancho, J.W. Black, Erle Stanley Gardner, Choral Pepper, and my favorite baja person, Herman Hill!

I did a search on Nomad to see if anyone had read any of this authors work and came up empty.

Has anyone checked this book out, or the other title, "Wahoo Rhapsody"? Shaun Morey writes like he knows baja, and being that baja is such a small world at times, I was wondering if any Nomads know him?

P.>*)))>{

Here's a memorable quote from him

durrelllrobert - 2-10-2013 at 10:07 AM

Shaun Morey: A combination of a short attention span, a best-selling fishing book (Incredible Fishing Stories), and my discovery of pot floating in the Sea of Cortez. I blame tequila for the short attention span, dumb luck for the best-selling fishing book, and a combination of both for stumbling across kilos of lost dope. And because Baja California is mostly lawless, it was ripe for a novel. Or jail. Or worse.

Paulina - 2-10-2013 at 10:36 AM

Pescador,

I agree with you. As I said, my favorite part was the Afterwords and Acknowledgments. I didn't order the other book.

P>*)))>{

DENNIS - 2-10-2013 at 10:44 AM

Atticus Fish........lead character in the acclaimed novel, "To kill a Tuna."
What's not to like about this?

Paulina - 2-10-2013 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Dennis,

Don't you mean Atticus Finch?

P>*)))>{

DENNIS - 2-10-2013 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Dennis,

Don't you mean Atticus Finch?

P>*)))>{

Sure...but he, a Finch, was about killing other birds....mockingbirds.
Atticus Fish killed fish....Tuna in this case.
I know........ it's confusing.

Paulina - 2-10-2013 at 05:41 PM

Dennis,

I'm a bit slow on the intake, sometimes. After I replied to you, I went out running errands. While we are driving around town, my brain is still working on...something.....Finch as to mockingbirds....Fish as to Dorado, Wahoo, TUNA.

So when I returned home and signed on to Nomad, I find your reply. I got it, it just took me awhile.

Love ya,
P>*)))>{