BajaNomad

Woo Whoo I hit the SENTRI Lottery!!

CortezBlue - 2-11-2013 at 04:57 PM

Well after reading many comments on renewing SENTRI, it appeared to me that some folks only had to apply an updated application on line and pay the fees and receive the new card in the mail.

Then, there were folks who said, no way, they had to go to the SENTRI office and have another interview.

I hit the lottery and don't have to take the trip to do the interview again

Listo!:cool:

BajaGeoff - 2-11-2013 at 06:44 PM

I just had the same experience! I got the conditional approval for my renewal, then out of nowhere my new SENTRI card arrived in the mail. Woo Whoo indeed!

bajaday - 2-11-2013 at 07:17 PM

They seem to be continuing to streamline the system....good for both of you!

mrfatboy - 2-11-2013 at 07:58 PM

Must be nice :). I have my Sentri interview this week. It's my first time.

Udo - 2-11-2013 at 08:03 PM

Looks like i'll be applying for it now...

I really was not looking forward to multiple trips to Otay Mesa from the Disneyland area.

Ateo - 2-11-2013 at 08:15 PM

I need to apply yesterday.

CortezBlue - 2-11-2013 at 08:28 PM

My first time was a horror story

It was about 5 years ago and when I applied my company was changing over to an on line payroll company. In the original application they required an "Original" pay check stub. I called the Calexico office and explained that we no longer have Original stubs and that my information would be printed from a computer copy.

Nope, no way, you must have an original, the female office told me.

So, I told her that wasn't going to be possible. I told her I had just received my W2 and it is an original. She told me that should work.

We get to the center at around 12 for a 12:30 or 1:00 interview. We sat down, no one said anything to us. There were a hand full of employees looking at display terminals, probably playing yahtzee. Our appointment time came and went. We sat there until about 2pm and finally a lady called my name. I gave her my well collect list of "stuff" that we had to bring.

She looked it over and told me that I didn't have a copy of my paycheck stub. I explained to her what had transpired. She shrugged her shoulders and said she wasn't sure it would fly.

About 1/2 hour later, I get called up to the counter where I meet a total A$$ *ole that greets me with a document in his hand being held up and he barks at me, "can you show me where on this document it says you can bring in a W2?"

As, I tried to answer him, he blasts back, "just answer the question, where does it say you can use a W2?"

About this time I am ready to tell him to take a flying Philadelphia Flying PHU#!

My wife, the educator, steps in front of me and applies her teacher charm and got the guy to accept our paper work. When he was signing the approval he looked at my wife and says, "my signature is like GOLD around here!"

Then we get to the other counter to get our fingerprints done. She says, "you are from Phx and you came here?" "You should have went to Nogales, it is closer to Phx!"

I explain to her that we go to San Felipe. She tells me the same story 4 more times until I finally agree and tell her she was correct and we made a mistake.

Then once she finds out we had a house in Mexico, she had a fit. "Are you kidding me, you bought a house in Mexico?" Keep in mind this lady was of Hispanic roots.

She goes on to say, "you would never find me crossing that border!" Ya da Ya Da Ya Da

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

So the only advise I have is to pack your patients, a good book or electronic game and a well organized file folder with EVERYTHING they ask for.

Good Luck

bajaguy - 2-11-2013 at 08:35 PM

I brought everything for my renewal appointment and they didn't want to see any of it. Just my Passport and my old card

mrfatboy - 2-11-2013 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
My first time was a horror story

It was about 5 years ago and when I applied my company was changing over to an on line payroll company. In the original application they required an "Original" pay check stub. I called the Calexico office and explained that we no longer have Original stubs and that my information would be printed from a computer copy.

Nope, no way, you must have an original, the female office told me.

So, I told her that wasn't going to be possible. I told her I had just received my W2 and it is an original. She told me that should work.

We get to the center at around 12 for a 12:30 or 1:00 interview. We sat down, no one said anything to us. There were a hand full of employees looking at display terminals, probably playing yahtzee. Our appointment time came and went. We sat there until about 2pm and finally a lady called my name. I gave her my well collect list of "stuff" that we had to bring.

She looked it over and told me that I didn't have a copy of my paycheck stub. I explained to her what had transpired. She shrugged her shoulders and said she wasn't sure it would fly.

About 1/2 hour later, I get called up to the counter where I meet a total A$$ *ole that greets me with a document in his hand being held up and he barks at me, "can you show me where on this document it says you can bring in a W2?"

As, I tried to answer him, he blasts back, "just answer the question, where does it say you can use a W2?"

About this time I am ready to tell him to take a flying Philadelphia Flying PHU#!

My wife, the educator, steps in front of me and applies her teacher charm and got the guy to accept our paper work. When he was signing the approval he looked at my wife and says, "my signature is like GOLD around here!"

Then we get to the other counter to get our fingerprints done. She says, "you are from Phx and you came here?" "You should have went to Nogales, it is closer to Phx!"

I explain to her that we go to San Felipe. She tells me the same story 4 more times until I finally agree and tell her she was correct and we made a mistake.

Then once she finds out we had a house in Mexico, she had a fit. "Are you kidding me, you bought a house in Mexico?" Keep in mind this lady was of Hispanic roots.

She goes on to say, "you would never find me crossing that border!" Ya da Ya Da Ya Da

I couldn't wait to get out of there.

So the only advise I have is to pack your patients, a good book or electronic game and a well organized file folder with EVERYTHING they ask for.

Good Luck

Sorry that you had a bad experience. I do have a question for everybody however. What paperwork do you need you bring if you are retired? No w2's or pay stubs for me. I have my passport, sdge bills, interview letter, CDL and copies of each. Anything else?

CortezBlue - 2-12-2013 at 01:11 AM

Sorry that you had a bad experience. I do have a question for everybody however. What paperwork do you need you bring if you are retired? No w2's or pay stubs for me. I have my passport, sdge bills, interview letter, CDL and copies of each. Anything else?

I think proof of auto insurance was also on the list

mrfatboy - 2-12-2013 at 07:51 AM

My wife got her Sentri pass last year as well as a sticker for our car so I thought it would not be necessary. I will bring it anyway just in case.

I'm still confused about the importance of w2's and pay stubs. Why couldn't you just say you were 'retired' and not bother with them? I assuming you already put down your work info in the application so they now want that info, correct?

Ps. Sorry to high jack the thread :)

bajaguy - 2-12-2013 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

I think proof of auto insurance was also on the list

Proof of auto insurance, current registration, no aftermarket tint on side or rear windows, no chips, dings or cracks in front windshield.

Documentation to show some sort of proof of income

CortezBlue - 2-12-2013 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
My wife got her Sentri pass last year as well as a sticker for our car so I thought it would not be necessary. I will bring it anyway just in case.

I'm still confused about the importance of w2's and pay stubs. Why couldn't you just say you were 'retired' and not bother with them? I assuming you already put down your work info in the application so they now want that info, correct?

Ps. Sorry to high jack the thread :)

No Problem, I think when you have questions and someone has an answer that is what a forum is suppose to be about.

So, I think the Pay Check Stub has to do more with making sure that anyone coming and going across the border is employed or has an income. I don't think they want the unemployed to have quick and easy access across the border with a truck load of, who knows what.
As far as the retirement, not sure if they ask for anything on that. My wife is retired but still works.

But, I will say this, what ever you have to do, the SENTRI is such a great addition. We go down to Baja about twice a month and we have had ours SENTRI for 5 years and I think we had one episode that we had to wait for 30 minutes and a few times for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, but for the majority of the time 1 or 2 cars in front of us is the norm.

jurelador - 2-12-2013 at 09:35 PM

We had a good experience w/ SENTRI. I just renewed online; no interview necessary, received new card in the mail w/ no need for new auto check, same vehicle. My wife just completed her initial SENTRI application/interview at the San Ysidro office, couldn't do the vehicle review there but got a priority pass for vehicle inspection at Otay office, 10 minutes and done. Very efficient, no complaints, super friendly folks at both offices.