BajaNomad

Yuma to Tecate???

bajaguy - 2-11-2013 at 08:25 PM

Anybody have an average driving time????

CortezBlue - 2-11-2013 at 08:33 PM

When you say Yuma to Tecate, is there any reason why you don't take I8?

I take San Luis to Mexico Hwy 5 all the time. I prefer it to taking 8 to Calexico and crossing. If I get a ticket or an accident, it would most likely be in Calexico.

Hwy 2d, is a great road, however I think to go to Tecate get's a bit pricey.

If you are driving from the east on I8 to San Luis, there is a new shorter road to San Luis. It is called Araby Road, SR 195. It is about 20 mins to the border and then about 150 yds and you are on Hwy 2.

It is going to cost about 160p when you enter and another 190p when you exit.

Clarification on above request

bajaguy - 2-11-2013 at 08:41 PM

We have friends that will be driving from Yuma to Tecate, will be taking Interstate 8 and then whatever route from the 8 to Tecate...........what's the average, ballpark, normal, usual, uncomplicated driving time without alien abductions or overnight stops???

CortezBlue - 2-11-2013 at 09:00 PM

Sorry, I didn't answer that question

So from San Luis to Tecate is about 2 hours 15 min plus using Hwy2d

From I8 via Araby Road to San Luis to Tecate is about 3 hours

Araby Rd to Tecate via I8 is 2 hours and 20 minutes, probably your fastest option

woody with a view - 2-12-2013 at 06:08 AM

it takes me 2:45 from Yuma to SD.

Thanks for the responses

bajaguy - 2-12-2013 at 07:22 AM

Looks like about 2 1/2 hours average time

CortezBlue - 2-12-2013 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
it takes me 2:45 from Yuma to SD.

Yep, but, the road from I8 to Tecate is a slow winding road that chews up the time and the Dramamine :barf:

tripledigitken - 2-12-2013 at 08:22 AM

Bajaguy,

All time considerations aside, have you driven the Rumorosa grade since the new toll road has been constructed?

Excellent drive for vistas. Highly recommended!

Ken

very good breakfast/lunch stop in La Rumorosa..........

[Edited on 2-12-2013 by tripledigitken]

Pescador - 2-12-2013 at 08:28 AM

I too always take the Rumarosa grade which is not much slower than I-8 and certainly more scenic if you have seen the other road a dozen times or more. I enter at Algodones which is a no-brainer border crossing and then go around Mexicali on the 4 land by pass at no less than 75 MPH and then up the grade, which is 4 lane, and exit at Tecate.

Trip info

bajaguy - 2-12-2013 at 08:34 AM

I am not driving.

Friends are making the trip.

They will be driving from Yuma to Tecate via Interstate 8, not taking Mex 2.

Mapquest is showing 2 hrs, 18 minutes

We will be meeting them in Tecate then driving to Ensenada.

Thank you for all of the input and info

BajaRat - 2-12-2013 at 09:13 AM

Guess we won't be talking your friends into taking Mex 2 . We love that route, and like Ken said there's great food in Rumorosa. You would also avoid all the curves in the Campo area and the stops and cops in Tecate

durrelllrobert - 2-12-2013 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Tell them NOT to get off I8 until they get to Buckman Springs road where the rest stop is. Cutting over to Campo from there V. getting off at Boulevard saves at least 15 minutes and a lot of curvy road.

David K - 2-12-2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Tell them NOT to get off I8 until they get to Buckman Springs road where the rest stop is. Cutting over to Campo from there Vs. getting off at Boulevard saves at least 15 minutes and a lot of curvy road.

This...

While Mexico's Hwy. 2-D is an excellent road, it is still slower than I-8. Sharper turns, steeper grade, and you pay to use it (toll)... oh, there is a Mexican military checkpoint at the bottom of the grade, and that can be very long time addition.

Yuma to Buckman Springs(I-8) to Campo(94) to Tecate... fastest, cheapest, safest.