BajaNomad

GPS

Retireded - 2-14-2013 at 01:58 AM

If you are looking for a good GPS, TOM-TOM ain't it. Mine had me chasing myself all over Tijuana for 2.5 hours this morning trying to cross the border. I bought it because it advertises US, Canada, and Mexico maps pre installed. It took me to 8 different places in TJ and announced each time that I had reached my destination. I finally saw a ramp for the tool road to Tecate. Thinking I could take it as far as Otay, I jumped on it. I crossed the border in Tecate with a 20 minute wait. I am sending this piece of junk back where it came from, I can find the crossing at Tecate easily without it.

Hook - 2-14-2013 at 07:40 AM

Before you send it back, go into your navigation or routing preference settings and make sure there isnt anything that is causing these erratic routes.

I had lots of trouble with a couple newer versions of Garmins as well, when routing in Mexico. Be sure you havent turned on avoidance options like toll roads, U-turns, unpaved roads, seasonal closures, etc. Also, some GPS software will allow you to physically avoid certain portions of their maps by highlighting areas to avoid. I guess it's possible that that could have occurred but it would be pretty unlikely.

You can also choose "faster route" or "shorter route" options. Play with those and see if the route it suggests, changes.

All GPSs do quirky things. There was an article recently about a woman who let a GPS take here NINE HOURS out of her way. A GPS is an aid; common sense and a basic sense of direction never hurts, I'd say.

Always.....

bajaguy - 2-14-2013 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Before you send it back, go into your navigation or routing preference settings and make sure there isnt anything that is causing these erratic routes.

I had lots of trouble with a couple newer versions of Garmins as well, when routing in Mexico. Be sure you havent turned on avoidance options like toll roads, U-turns, unpaved roads, seasonal closures, etc. Also, some GPS software will allow you to physically avoid certain portions of their maps by highlighting areas to avoid. I guess it's possible that that could have occurred but it would be pretty unlikely.

You can also choose "faster route" or "shorter route" options. Play with those and see if the route it suggests, changes.

All GPSs do quirky things. There was an article recently about a woman who let a GPS take here NINE HOURS out of her way. A GPS is an aid; common sense and a basic sense of direction never hurts, I'd say.

Carry a paper map.........a GPS will help you get lost quicker

Bruce R Leech - 2-14-2013 at 09:05 AM

a paper map is good advice, but My Tom-Tom works good in Mexico And T.J. they have the best Mexico Maps.

Retireded - 2-14-2013 at 09:58 AM

Mine sent me to the same CLOSED ramp from 3 different locations after I specified Alternate route. It also put me on 2 steep, narrow ded end streets and proudly announced, You have reached your destination.
All in all it made for an extremely frustrating morning. I think until the construction and detours settle down, I'll just go to Otay or Tecate. I have always had a good sense of direction, but it goes out the window in Tijuana. LOL

You can't always believe your GPS.

Pompano - 2-14-2013 at 10:26 AM

Once upon a time there was a sheepherder tending his sheep at the edge of a country road in rural Wyoming. A brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee screeched to a halt next to him.

The driver, a young man dressed in a Brioni suit, Cerrutti shoes, Ray-Ban glasses, Jovial Swiss wristwatch and a BHS tie, jumped out and asked the herder "If I guess how many sheep you have, will you give me one of them?"

The herder looked at the young man, then looked at the sprawling herd of grazing sheep and said "Okay."

The young man parked the SUV, connected his notebook and wireless modem, entered a NASA site, scanned the ground using satellite imagry and a GPS, opened a database and 60 Excel tables filled with algorithms, then printed a 150-page report on his high-tech mini-printer.

He turned to the herder and said "You have exactly 1,586 sheep here." The herder answered "Say, you are right. Pick out a sheep."

The young man took one of the animals and put it in the back of his vehicle. As he was preparing to drive away, the herder looked at him and asked "Now, if I guess your profession, will you pay me back in kind?"

The young man answered "Sure." The herder said immediately "You are a consultant."

"Exactly! How did you know?" asked the young man.

Very simple," replied the herder. "First you came here without being invited. Secondly, you charged me a fee to tell me something I already knew. Thirdly, you do not understand anything about my business, and I'd really like to have my dog back."

TMW - 2-14-2013 at 11:10 AM

That's a good one.

absinvestor - 2-14-2013 at 11:22 AM

I have similar problems with my Garmin GPS. I update the Mexico card yearly. For some of the campgrounds, gas stations etc it is spot on but when crossing at Tecate into the US it wants to take me the wrong way on the one way entrance into the border gate!!

bajaguy - 2-14-2013 at 11:24 AM

Just use the map function and not the turn-by-turn directions

Retireded - 2-14-2013 at 11:26 AM

That is good. I sure didn't beleive it when it announced that I had reached my destination.

btw, I have a t shirt that say's 'I listen to the voices in my tackle box'
My wife can't hear them, but she says the voices in my head keep her awake some nights. LOL

David K - 2-14-2013 at 11:28 AM

What happened to all the signs that pointed to San Diego/ Garita/ I-5/ etc. that used to be along all roads leading into Tijuana???

Retireded - 2-14-2013 at 01:10 PM

With all the detours and road construction, the signs which are still there seem to lead to closed ramps, etc. I have never seen a complete series of signs leading to the ready lanes. I was hoping the gps would help, but all it did was increase the frustration level.

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2013 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Retireded
If you are looking for a good GPS, TOM-TOM ain't it. Mine had me chasing myself all over Tijuana for 2.5 hours this morning trying to cross the border. I bought it because it advertises US, Canada, and Mexico maps pre installed. It took me to 8 different places in TJ and announced each time that I had reached my destination. I finally saw a ramp for the tool road to Tecate. Thinking I could take it as far as Otay, I jumped on it. I crossed the border in Tecate with a 20 minute wait. I am sending this piece of junk back where it came from, I can find the crossing at Tecate easily without it.

i consider GPS maps as a suggested starting point,... always look at the online map or paper map to make sure, and even then who knows

also, when lost, quite easy to stop and ask someone on the street for directions...

i think many mexicans don't look at maps, just stop periodically to ask for directions :lol::lol:

Maps

bajaguy - 2-14-2013 at 01:19 PM

Stop and a PEMEX/7-11 store and get two paper maps......one for Tijuana and one for Ensenada.......very helpful!!!

David K - 2-14-2013 at 07:53 PM

Just go with the flow of traffic! Then get in the longest line in Mexico... which funnels one into the USA. Why fight the nightmare, and instead go to Tecate (as long as you get there before the border closes (11pm?). Hey, they say not to drive at night anyway.

The distance from Ensenada to the U.S. border is the same (Tijuana or Tecate).

The difference is an added hour driving from Tecate to San Diego on Hwy. 94. I would rather drive another hour than wait in a line not moving!

The border is well signed in Tecate...
coming down the hill into town, note the baseball park on the right, a McDonalds ahead, the 4 lane intersection before the McDonalds is where you turn right... and follow along the railroad tracks, then keep left. It is signed Garita (border), Hwy. 94, San Diego, etc. Bear right at the traffic circle-like intersection, head east a few hundred feet (this is the Mexicali road), then get into your left turn lane... that's the border access road. If the line is out that far, continue east and get in the back of the line.

It sounds a lot worse than it is and sure beats that nightmare of detours you said are in Tijuana now!

bacquito - 2-21-2013 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
That's a good one.

Yup:lol::lol:

Retireded - 2-21-2013 at 10:15 AM

David K, I agree, Tecate is a much better option. I had fun with the gps there too. Instead of going the way I already knew, I followed the direction of that wonderful little gadget and it took m right to the gate. One minor problem; even though no line to deal with, I drove up within a few yards of the gate to find barricades and soldados preventing further forward travel. I backtracked a few blocks, found the correct route without any electronic assistance, and was through the gate in just a few minutesI have found this unit to be pretty accurate most of the time, but like anything, there is much room for improvement.