BajaNomad

Camping and snorkeling at Cabo Pulmo?

Spearo - 2-15-2013 at 03:11 PM

My wife and I would like to spend some time in the Cabo Pulmo area checking out the reefs. Does anyone have a suggestion for a camping spot? How about snorkeling reefs?

Many thanks

Udo - 2-15-2013 at 08:05 PM

Just left there two days ago.
Lots of camping areas in the area, but the wind has really been howling!

Huge waves everywhere as well as the reef area.
I'll do a road report with photos next week after we return.

There is a really cool gadget/gift/artist store there, a-la-Todos Santos. Probably 10'X15' but they pack a lot in there.
They are is somewhat pricey, but there is also nothing within 50 miles in any direction.

mulegemichael - 2-15-2013 at 08:19 PM

looks like it's about to calm down for a few days...the reef can be fun from the beach after or on the third day without the norte...it filters out and is most clear after then...i have directions to a most private beach there, for the u2u'ers....

Leo - 2-15-2013 at 08:19 PM

There is a campsite about 300 yards before town comming from La Ribera but it has the worst rocky beach of all of Southern baja. No facilities but only 60 pesos a night. Steep entrance ok for high clearance vehicles.
The wind ruined it for us also. Not too friendly people and the wrong time of year for snorkling. Too much is stirred up with this winter weather but they don't tell you that at the dive-shops.

mulegemichael - 2-15-2013 at 08:21 PM

tranquilo, tranquilo....need to be able to stay awhile and let it settle down between blows...way, way, way worth it...take it easy...you're in cabo pulmo now.

Floatflyer - 2-15-2013 at 08:40 PM

You are now in my backyard. The camping just north of "town" is controlled by the Castro family. No amenities and as stated, a very rocky beach. I would almost suggest driving 5-6 miles further south to the arroyo at Los Frailes. Free camping.

You can snorkel by the giant rocks on the north side of the bay, protected from north winds. You can also drive back about 3 miles or so to Los Arbolitos or Mermaid Beach, same beach. It is located at the southern end of the Cabo Pulmo Bay and this is where the best snorkeling is from shore. It is sort of sad to say but others have also complained about the attitude of some locals. Does "cut off your nose to spite your face" sound familiar??

UDO, I had a bloody mary with Osprey on Tuesday and then we went to lunch in La Ribera at La Costa. He said you were coming into town. Maybe next time.

One last thing if you are visiting this weekend. Starting tomorrow there is an off road race that starts in Los Barriles and ends up on the dirt road from La Ribera and goes thru Las Barracas and Cabo Pulmo. Saturday is pre-running and Sunday is the race. BE VERY careful if you drive this road as these guys are hauling ass with little to no regard for the public in general. Total inappropiate road for this event, IMO.

[Edited on 2-16-2013 by Floatflyer]

BajaBlanca - 2-15-2013 at 08:58 PM

amazing how we can go to the same place as someone else and have such a different experience with locals. everyone we met, without exception, was really nice. There was the young kid at the very end of the beach who represented a dive shop, who gave me all sorts of info about snorkeling -I was impressed because he was clear that the water was too cold right now to be as enjoyable.

and the owner of the restaurant

and the saleslady at the store who helped me secretly buy a t-shirt for hubby

and the waitress who ran back and forth to get me prices on artwork I was looking at

and the lady who gave me cuttings from her cactus (which are unfortunately not doing so well).

I thought los frailes was further north .... living and learning over and over that my sense of direction is the PITS.

Leo - 2-16-2013 at 07:33 AM

Los Frailes is SOUTH of CP and is a wonderful spot for camping etc. As long as the beach does not disapear in the ocean. The week that happened I was there walking the dog every morning at the water's edge. We could have drawned instantly.
Next time I should travel with you Blanca.
We were with 4 of us in Cabo P and the vibe was very negative so we left before we went for a restaurant. $ 180 US for a 2 hour snorkle tour for 4.

BajaBlanca - 2-16-2013 at 09:35 AM

so sad that the vibe was negative ... such a beautiful location ...such awe-inspiring beauty.

Is los frailes the beach that is protected from the wind? or is that another beach further north and I am confused (as if that would be something new) ?

Leo, we will send you periodic updates as to where we are headed !

:lol:

captain4tuna - 2-16-2013 at 04:59 PM

I see you are from Moscow....Did you know Steve Ball?

tiotomasbcs - 2-16-2013 at 06:08 PM

Southern Baja has been hammered by winds the last week. Last few days very nice! Cabo Pulmo and area is best seen w/o norte winds. Try a local rental like Baja Bungalows or camp in Los Frailes. Enjoy. Tio